Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4004 (Men's Shirt)

Reviewed by:BrianSews

About BrianSewsstarstarstar
MA USA
Member since: 2/16/08
Posted on:4/29/09 7:17 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 29 people

Andys Mom said... (10/13/09 9:33 PM) Reply
I also sew a lot of men's shirts. I just bought a ton of a good grade of white linen. It had a spot every now and then, but washed right out. Price was 60% so I took what was left. I like the pintuck idea to the give the shirt a distinct edge which I and my husband like. I think I will give this a try.
Jules M. said... (5/14/09 12:12 PM) Reply
Great review! You really do the footwork to come up with the best methods for you/your machine.
Raye Ann said... (5/10/09 5:36 PM) Reply
your attention to detail is what sets your sewing/creating apart. thanks for the inspiration!
Cat MacGregor said... (5/3/09 6:02 PM) Reply
Wonderful shirt!! I'm also loving the sheet stash!
Heatherrique said... (5/3/09 4:29 PM) Reply
Sky-rocketingly fabulous shirt!
Athene said... (5/2/09 11:50 PM) Reply
Great shirt. Love all the details. You are very inspirational!
maryfrana said... (5/1/09 10:23 PM) Reply
I love clothes that are really works of art. This is exceptional. I too hate nonwoven fusible interfacing and I almost always use the knit kind. The details on this shirt are so carefully constructed and sewn. Amazing job! And the main photo is eye catching too.
colourbynumber said... (5/1/09 12:47 PM) Reply
I love the vintage sheet look! You have me thinking. The photography is great! and the shirt is amazing!
Sickofitcindy said... (5/1/09 11:10 AM) Reply
Love this shirt! It's a really nice unique piece.
fourkid said... (5/1/09 8:44 AM) Reply
Wonderful shirt and fascinating review. I use sheet all the time for muslins - but I never thought of using them for shirts - I love that idea.
Primatoidefutile said... (4/30/09 7:10 PM) Reply
The shirt is fantastic, and I would love to have your talent and patience for details. The photos are also beautiful.
carolynw said... (4/30/09 6:38 PM) Reply
All your hard work sure paid off - this is wonderful - thanks for the idea of using sheets fo rshirts - quite often make my husband's cotton shirts and hate - just hate - the ironing that brings later
BrianSews said... (4/30/09 6:26 PM) Reply
Check your local thrift shop for sheets, I stopped by today on my way home and found five ranging in price from $2.88 for fitted twin to $6.99 for a flat king. Flat sheets are by far the best deal fabric for dollar but even a twin fitted is plenty of fabric for one shirt. Today I even found a Turkish cotton queen. Stains, spots, and holes can usually be worked around. Sometimes the fitted sheets have a lot of color wear in the center. My favorite are the 50/50 cotton/poly where the previous owners have bleached them possibly hundreds of times and most of the cotton is eaten away leaving a wonderful sheer effect.
Deepika said... (4/30/09 4:58 PM) Reply
Wow, where are you finding these gorgeous bed sheets? I love the pintucks in this shirt. And as always, your review is a chock full of ideas and tips. I am adding it to my fav reviews.
Elona said... (4/30/09 3:12 PM) Reply
That's a handsome, classic, well-cut shirt!
Mahler said... (4/30/09 11:37 AM) Reply
Hoooo cooool shirt. I love all the details. Great sewing skills again. Again what a cleaver use of sheets. I like the fact that your personalize your garments and explore. We often do not dare to create and simply copy because we don't trust ourself. Your daring is again inspiring.
Kemish said... (4/30/09 11:07 AM) Reply
It is always great to encounter someone, like you, who is truly inspired by the materials (pattern/fabric/techniques) and puts it all together into an outstanding project - and enjoys doing it. Your reviews are always excellent and you projects are inspiring - especially the bathing suits! Thank you for sharing here on PR.
Obrooks770 said... (4/30/09 10:57 AM) Reply
Your shirts look awesome, great job! I like the use of your decorative stitching.
lilyofthevalley said... (4/30/09 10:45 AM) Reply
Fascinating use of tucks (on tucks ... under tucks) to manipulate fit, as well as style. And I'm particularly drawn to your goal of attaining a designer fit, while emphasizing some 'homemade' details. Original thought, unique result, quite bold and bespoke - very, very handsome. -Lily
BrianSews said... (4/30/09 10:10 AM) Reply
It's the details that count. In the beginning I think we try to duplicate the look of RTW and that's a good goal because it makes us try to create clothing we can actually wear. Now I find that I'm adding details and techniques that look "homemade" and hand crafted. I love my serger but I try to hide any serged seams on the insides of my garments. So while I try to make my clothes fit like designer RTW, I try to make them look like something you'll never find for sale in a store. Thanks everyone for the glowing reviews. I really appreciate the good energy and I always hope to inspire, if I can do it, anyone can.. and that's the honest truth.
Kellie R. said... (4/30/09 10:02 AM) Reply
Nice shirt!
mylittleelephant said... (4/30/09 9:37 AM) Reply
This is gorgeous! I love love your french seam with embroidery, I believe secret details like this make the garment so special and personal, thanks for detailed photos.
marthamyers said... (4/30/09 9:16 AM) Reply
Another great shirt, Rocketboy! I love all the details. You are an inspiration. I really may have to make a man's shirt after seeing and reading this. And the photography is wonderful too.
Darla in PA said... (4/30/09 8:57 AM) Reply
Another fantastic shirt! I enjoy seeing what you create. Makes me want to sew for DH.
cgHipp said... (4/30/09 8:36 AM) Reply
Wow - this shirt is really a labor of love! It looks fantastic. Very inspiring!
MarshaG. said... (4/30/09 8:23 AM) Reply
You and your work are BEYOND amazing!
cindyann said... (4/30/09 8:10 AM) Reply
RocketBoy, thank you so much for all the detailed pictures. Fantastic take on a classic guyabera. I'm very impressed with all the wonderful details. Bravo!
Lynnelle said... (4/30/09 7:55 AM) Reply
Your tailoring skills never cease to amaze me. Rock it, boy!
shesflipped said... (4/30/09 6:18 AM) Reply
Exquisite! p.s. I'm lusting after your sheet stash! LOVE IT!
Oceanpeg said... (4/30/09 1:48 AM) Reply
Sheet Shirts. What a great idea. If Walmart's stops selling fabric, we can switch over to buying sheets for making some of our clothing. Will start looking at their sheets when I go in there, instead of just looking at their material. Thanks for the great idea.
Karen8320 said... (4/30/09 1:11 AM) Reply
RocketBoy, this really is an amazing work of art! I would never have thought to use such an array of techniques to give a shirt an incredibly unique look. You have opened our eyes to the immense possibilities that exist when creating a garment. Very, very impressive work!
CynthiaSue said... (4/30/09 0:53 AM) Reply
so talented you are........I wish I could sew like this for my hubby!
Twinset said... (4/29/09 10:58 PM) Reply
Rocketboy, I really appreciate your creativity with those sheet shirts - all this embroidery and those tucks are really nice - not something I would have thought of doing so I admire people who have those kind of ideas! I especially like the pale blue shirt in your photo gallery. I don't know if you envision a career in fashion design, but maybe you should! :-)
FreyaStark said... (4/29/09 9:57 PM) Reply
A really lovely shirt and a fine effort. Well done.
marec said... (4/29/09 9:02 PM) Reply
That is just beautiful work. Thanks so much for sharing your process and your creativity.
celind said... (4/29/09 8:24 PM) Reply
Shirt is fabulous! I checked out the sheet stash photos and lo and behold, I HAD a set of those yellow/brown/green striped sheets! What a blast from the past!
whistlin dixie said... (4/29/09 8:07 PM) Reply
Yes, very clever. Using vintage sheet fabric, adding the tucks, and the swirly, decorative topstitching - in gray, no less - combine for a very cool look! I like your attention to detail!
MagpieJen said... (4/29/09 8:02 PM) Reply
Holy smokes! Phenomenal shirt! The detailing you added looks fantastic. Very very cool.
BrianSews said... (4/29/09 8:01 PM) Reply
Do it! Pintucks are easy and fun (use your edge stitch foot), that goes double for the embroidery stitches. I sew on a 1950's machine so no excuses!
aminat said... (4/29/09 8:00 PM) Reply
Fantastic shirt and looks so nice on you
birdmcfarland said... (4/29/09 7:53 PM) Reply
This is just stellar. I love the embroidery and pintucks. I've been wanting to try those but just haven't have the nerve. Outstanding work!!
christea said... (4/29/09 7:36 PM) Reply
reminds me of those traditional Mexican shirts for men (forget what they're called) except all jazzed up! Thanks for the close-ups of all the details.
Ariadne said... (4/29/09 7:35 PM) Reply
clever!
Sew4Fun said... (4/29/09 7:34 PM) Reply
Great shirt. I like all your extra details. This pattern is a trip down memory lane for me as I remember buying (and sewing) it when it first came out. :)
BrianSews said... (4/29/09 7:33 PM) Reply
Thanks Nancy! I have to admit I've been watching Martha's Sewing Room and it's been influencing me.... all that heirloom sewing! will christening gowns be next?
nancy2001 said... (4/29/09 7:29 PM) Reply
The shirt looks fantastic. I love the pintucks.

Contest Travel Wardrobe Contest