Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Pattern Reviews> Decades of Style> 3008 (1930s Sweetheart Overalls)

Reviewed by:drsue

About drsuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 11/11/03
Sewing skills:Beginner

Posted on:5/8/09 3:21 PM
Last Updated:5/8/09 6:48 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
3HoursPast said... (11/10/09 10:00 AM) Reply
Ooooooooooooooh how fantastic. Thank you thank you thank you. It is just lovely, so charming. This pattern has been haunting me for weeks, you tipped the balance in its favour. This will be the perfect thing to wear for farm weekends and summertime rough work, the sorts of things my vintage dresses shrink and run screaming from. You look just darling in it, but still like a well dressed lady. I think the bra issue could be solved by simply building a bra into the top. Bravo.
QuantumLobster said... (5/11/09 8:45 AM) Reply
These are SOOO cute! They fit you spectactularly.
drsue said... (5/9/09 2:53 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the nice comments. I should emphasize that is pattern is actually very easy to make. Only one area mentioned above is slightly confusing. I found it fit fabulous with minimal alterations. I would suspect if you are pear shaped like me you would also not need many if any alterations. You probably could sew a bra into it, via using the lining as the base for your bra. I would tend to think this might be difficult, but I suspect those who are well endowed sewers would be familiar with how to make such a thing.
cleandirty said... (5/9/09 2:17 PM) Reply
Love it, happy to see this made up! You've convinced me to give in and buy this pattern. :-)
QuickFade said... (5/9/09 2:09 PM) Reply
Absolutely adorable. I'm trying to figure out how to make this so a bra can be worn with it. I'm busy and need a bra to be decent. This would be great for the hot Texas summers if I could rig it to be worn with a bra.
MagpieJen said... (5/9/09 1:58 PM) Reply
I'm glad this review turned up again because I missed it the first time. I've often wondered about how this pattern would look - and it looks FANTASTIC - thanks so much for posting this.
QuickFade said... (5/9/09 1:57 PM) Reply
Absolutely adorable. I'm trying to figure out how to make this so a bra can be worn with it. I'm busty and need a bra to be decent. This would be great for the hot Texas summers if I could rig it to be worn with a bra. Seems like the straps could be cut so that they would come straight down on the back and connect to a strap that went across the back, covering bra straps. Or, they could be sewn to or part of that strap that goes across the back and then just button/Velcro in the center back.
Izzie said... (5/9/09 12:01 PM) Reply
Absolutely adorable!
Barbara V said... (5/9/09 10:04 AM) Reply
Fabuous fabric, cute style and you look great in these.
cindyann said... (5/9/09 9:52 AM) Reply
That is perfect on you!
DorothyK said... (5/9/09 9:11 AM) Reply
Perfect fit. Looks wonderful on you.
calminatrix said... (5/9/09 7:18 AM) Reply
whoa now girlfriend, you are too hot in this adorable outfit! LOVE LOVE LOVE DOS and have three of their patterns but i'm afraid to delve in. wish i could sew like sue. i'm just starting to learn fit (and i'm 47, EEEKKKK) so i want to save dos patterns for when i'm a little more experienced. congrats on a beautiful job!!!
Caitycat said... (5/9/09 1:16 AM) Reply
Lovely!
Raye Ann said... (5/9/09 0:25 AM) Reply
this is so completely fantastic on you! idon't know if i could pull it off like you can. my body is exactly opposite- small hips/legs, broader shoulders and big bust... i had something almost exactly like this in high school and have always grieved for its loss... i will look for any other reviews that may have my body style before buying the pattern, but i love this! great job!
Nancy K said... (5/8/09 10:36 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! I love the washed linen look too.
Berniejh said... (5/8/09 9:29 PM) Reply
They look fabulous. You have a back that is worth showing off!
drsue said... (5/8/09 8:58 PM) Reply
Thank you for all the nice comments. It would be quite easy to wear this with a tee shirt under it. I've been wearing it today as is, w/o a bra. It is very hot here today, and I was stuck in the sun this afternoon but I was very comfortable in this.
Schnauzer said... (5/8/09 8:49 PM) Reply
I love them too. Very nice!
Sew4Fun said... (5/8/09 8:35 PM) Reply
Great overalls. It feels like forever since you wrote a review. (Although I just noticed I missed your last review which was recent). Anyway, welcome back. :)
Catbird said... (5/8/09 8:23 PM) Reply
Wow, I REALLY like these! First of all the fit is exceptional and the fabric couldn't be more perfect for the style. They have such an intoxicating blend of retro style with modern sensibility. You look completely fabulous! I wonder how they would look with a knit T-shirt underneath, because I couldn't possibly pull off this look with the same panache you do.
persevering said... (5/8/09 7:55 PM) Reply
Adorable!
birdmcfarland said... (5/8/09 7:33 PM) Reply
Wow! These are a great mix between adorable and chic. The fit is outstanding. You look fantastic and distinctive.
Kay Y said... (5/8/09 7:25 PM) Reply
Extremely cute! Great fit too.
michellep74 said... (5/8/09 6:49 PM) Reply
Love these--they look great on you!
FreyaStark said... (5/8/09 6:42 PM) Reply
They're fabulous. Could you show us a back view?
Annette1 said... (5/8/09 6:22 PM) Reply
Well, I am ORDERING this pattern. These are just SO STINKIN' CUTE! Your fabric choice is perfect. They FIT just EXACTLY right. So STYLISH and COMFORTABLE. I LOVE them!
nancy2001 said... (5/8/09 5:39 PM) Reply
Very elegant overalls.
CarolynGM said... (5/8/09 4:46 PM) Reply
Very cute, stylish, and distinctive. The style has a way of lengthening your body, making you look at least 5'2".
mollyshark said... (5/8/09 4:36 PM) Reply
Do you have any other pictures of this? The style seems fabulous!
Christas said... (5/8/09 4:35 PM) Reply
These are really cute! They might also look nice in a cropped capri length.
chacha45 said... (5/8/09 4:17 PM) Reply
Extra-cute!
Rhonda in Montreal said... (5/8/09 3:32 PM) Reply
REALLY cute, feminine!! ENJOY!!

Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings