Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4745 (Civil War Costume)

Reviewed by:Nikki S.

About Nikki S.star
GA USA
Member since: 10/20/07
Posted on:5/5/09 8:09 PM

See other patterns in this category: Costumes
sewsuzanna said... (3/24/14 2:39 PM) Reply
Thank you for your review! Also, your photos are super helpful. I am making the small size for my 12 year-old son. It fits him well, which makes sense since this pattern runs small. What is up with the sleeves on this pattern??! Yours turned out marvelously. Did you alter them? If so, how? What I'm dealing with now is a ridiculously puffed sleeve. Not at all the look my sixth grader is going for!! Tempted to give up on this.
vkl said... (11/27/13 7:58 PM) Reply
This pattern runs smaller than you expect - hence the 'sizing is completely off.' Thanks for this. I have spent 3 days in hell doing this coat and I really wish I had another pattern to work from!
Manalto said... (1/18/10 5:27 AM) Reply
Thanks for your honest review. I like some aspects of this coat, and was considering getting the pattern, but now I will continue looking, since I know my patience level, and consider myself warned. What does "the sizing is more or less completely off" mean?
Tiner W said... (5/6/09 5:09 PM) Reply
All of your costumes look just amazing! Thanks for the warning on this one.
MagpieJen said... (5/6/09 3:40 PM) Reply
This pattern gets around! It looks like it should be so useful for many types of costumes, so it's great to know about the challenges it poses. I used it several years ago myself, but modified it so much I couldn't really use the directions - which sounds like a good thing, in retrospect :-)
Kellie R. said... (5/6/09 9:56 AM) Reply
Thank you for the heads up about this pattern... nevertheless, the jackets still turned out great!
kerrynw said... (5/6/09 5:28 AM) Reply
Another fantastic result!
Nancy Rhodes said... (5/5/09 10:15 PM) Reply
Dear Rhett You simply must see these new French Recruits! The War will certainly be over in our favour soon! The gentlemen are so gallant, certainly they will prevail on the battlefield. Yours till we meet again, Scarlett....
Restart06 said... (5/5/09 9:13 PM) Reply
thanks for sharing, what nice results!
Nikki S. said... (5/5/09 9:04 PM) Reply
Thanks! We love the result; the process was just a little nuts.
Race said... (5/5/09 8:42 PM) Reply
Wow. Thanks for making me feel better. I made a version of this jacket last year. It was my first jacket and I found it pretty difficult. But now that I know how I plan to make it again. You did a great job even if it was frustrating!

Self Drafted Pattern Grey Lady Dress