Online Sewing Class: More Knits

Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8408 (8408 Jeans and Overalls)

Reviewed by:Debbie Spriggs

About Debbie Spriggsstar
WI USA
Member since: 10/4/02
Posted on:12/8/03 9:35 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants
Pam Z said... (12/10/03 5:23 PM) Reply
Wonderful jeans and a very helpful review. Now I must have this pattern!
Debbie Spriggs said... (12/9/03 7:30 AM) Reply
This is one of the reasons I love this site; you are all so kind. Thank you! Hilary, the rivets go on with a little kit (purchsed separately at JoAnn's) and a hammer. I must admit to hitting my finger with the hammer once instead of the rivet, but as long as my aim was accurate, the rivets went on easily. Irina, I worked on these in little bits and pieces over the course of about 2 weeks. I am a painfully slow sewist. I sew an element, then sit and contemplate the next one for a while...check pattern review...pick up my dd from school...then come back to the project...etc... It's a wonder I get anything done.
MariaDenmark said... (12/9/03 2:31 AM) Reply
Great pants - great review! Thank you for all the details!
Lee Ann Hawkins said... (12/9/03 1:35 AM) Reply
thank you so much esp. for the detailed extra pics. They are superb!
galadriel45 said... (12/8/03 7:28 PM) Reply
Truly, one of the nicest jobs I have seen - the fit is perfection, and the sewing details better than RTW. You should be so proud.
CarolynGM said... (12/8/03 6:18 PM) Reply
Debbie - awesome job on the pants and on the review. Your attention to detail is obvious in both. I have this pattern and will print your review and have it in front of me when I make my jeans. By the way, how much time do you think you spent on these?
Lorna C. Newman said... (12/8/03 4:49 PM) Reply
I think if you check out the book, it says that to raise the CB, let out a bit of the inseam in the back only. I have to lower the crotch seam in the back and add to the back inseam and that raises the CB for me. If you think the OOP version is good, ge the spousal Sants to get the new one for you for CHristmas!
Teri said... (12/8/03 2:02 PM) Reply
Debbie, those jeans are great! Thanks for such a complete review. I might have to give them a try.
CatherineN said... (12/8/03 1:39 PM) Reply
You did an outstanding job on those jeans. I'll bet they are more comfortable than RTW. Give yourself a star.
Oopsy-Daisy! said... (12/8/03 1:10 PM) Reply
WOW! Especially those rivets! Way cool!
Tini said... (12/8/03 12:07 PM) Reply
That is a wonderfull jeans! Very RTW but with a much better fit! Great job done! And a great review too! Someday I will sew up my denim too!
Lisa Laree said... (12/8/03 11:37 AM) Reply
Debbie, these look great! Very RTW! Thanks for all the tips in the review. I haven't convinced myself that making jeans is worthwhile so long as I can find some that more-or-less fit in RTW, but maybe I'll have to try it one of these days!
Hilary said... (12/8/03 10:12 AM) Reply
Debbie, thank you for such an incredibly thorough review! you have done a wonderful job w/ these and they look very RTW~ I wonder, how do you get the rivets on? they really give a great finishing touch. Your top stitching is beautiful too. great job, great review~ thanks!
Skymom said... (12/8/03 10:12 AM) Reply
Wow! this in an incredible feat of craftswomanship. Your jeans look like RTW only better. Thanks for the great review.

More Knits