Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5315 (Semi fitted dress)

Reviewed by:quixoticpixels

About quixoticpixelsstarstar
Member since: 4/2/08
Posted on:5/8/09 1:09 PM
Last Updated:5/27/10 10:53 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
Vintage Joan said... (5/28/10 5:27 PM) Reply
Wow, they're both stunning! The results were obviously worth all your hard work.
CarolynGM said... (5/28/10 4:54 PM) Reply
Really, really cute dress. I'm glad you gave it a second chance. It turned out so well that maybe a third one should be considered.
Gelbean said... (5/28/10 10:00 AM) Reply
Wow! What a beautiful dress! Aren't you glad you gave the pattern a second chance?
senaSews said... (5/28/10 6:07 AM) Reply
Adorable dress and a wonderful color!
Mary Nanna said... (5/27/10 11:35 PM) Reply
The dress is a great colour on you and super cute. I have the same problem with darts - 2 things have helped me. 1) sew the darts in baste length stitch first and try on inside out so the seam faces outwards - then with a pin, pin out that tricky little point so that it sits flat - you may need to curve the seam - then 2) sew the whole thing again, normal stitch, then for the last half inch or so reduce to a very small stitch and run off at a gentle angle- no more pointy dart.
Patty the Snug Bug said... (5/27/10 11:13 PM) Reply
Hey! I just had to drop in and comment because I just finished a dress with the same fabric as (I think) dress #1!! The white with red and pink flowers! The fabric was a stinker to work with - I didn't have problems fraying, but I had to resew a seam and the holes won't go away! I think it's pretty fabric, though! I like your dress version with the fabric!
Pam in Virginia said... (3/5/10 10:46 AM) Reply
Silky fabrics are HORRIBLE to work with, but here's a tip. If your pattern can support a fabric with a tiny bit more body, fuse your silky to a weft interfacing. It doesn't stiffen at all, but rather makes the fabric a little heavier. the plus is that it completely prevents raveling! Works with tweeds too.
janella said... (8/13/09 2:52 PM) Reply
Hilarious Review!!! You are so funny... that fabric looks beautiful though even if it was a pain to work with.
candyo said... (6/9/09 11:05 PM) Reply
A lot of us have learned the hard way as well that the poly silkies at Joann's are utter crap, and the same goes for Pellon interfacings. So, it wasn't you!
AnotherStef said... (5/31/09 11:35 PM) Reply
This review was hilarious and educational. Thank you!
KathleenS said... (5/25/09 6:23 AM) Reply
Don't worry, we've all been there. The dress looks good from here.
Anabolina said... (5/17/09 2:08 PM) Reply
Great job. I love your review!!!
nglalala said... (5/11/09 3:36 PM) Reply
I LoVE the print of the fabric! Sorry it was so difficult to work with. I think the dress looks fabulous!
quixoticpixels said... (5/10/09 12:23 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone! I'm not convinced all the problems I had with this dress were the fault of the pattern so much as my own inexperience. I was discouraged at first, but am now realizing I learned an incredible amount from this.
Secretsugar said... (5/10/09 9:04 AM) Reply
It's too bad this pattern was such a beast, because I think the dress suits you!
Kbenco said... (5/10/09 0:16 AM) Reply
I love your review. Your print is so pretty, I am glad you finally got a dress from it. It looks gorgeous from here, but I hope you find something just as pretty in a less unhelpful fabric.
renren said... (5/9/09 6:19 PM) Reply
Well, this is a winner of a review and thanks for that amazing inv. zip tutorial link. I'll give it a try since all other tutorials to this point have not quite exactly worked for me.
colourbynumber said... (5/9/09 3:04 PM) Reply
I do think the print is perfect for the dress. I had a shirtdress that I made last summer. When I had finished it, I was so dissappointed in all my errors. And you know what? This spring, I have been love wearing it and forgot about all the grief I had encountered!
Christas said... (5/9/09 12:37 PM) Reply
What a funny review! Your dress turned out so cute in spite of your adventure sewing it! The part about the zipper ........ shhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I still have a dress in my closet with a zipper put in backwards. Is it ever difficult to zip! LOL!
Kristine Kay said... (5/9/09 10:23 AM) Reply
Sorry the dress wasn't a winner for you, but your review was amazing! Funny and helpful! When I work with a fraying fabric, I run them through my serger immediately, and understand your frustrustation!
calminatrix said... (5/9/09 7:50 AM) Reply
that was the funniest review i think i've ever read! really hilarious! you're SO pretty, i love your revies with pics of you modelling your work!
Knitters Delight said... (5/8/09 5:10 PM) Reply
I hate working with the slippery fabrics that shift like that. I bought one from Joann's myself. Ugggh. Pretty, though.
sewbehind said... (5/8/09 3:52 PM) Reply
Cute review. Maybe next time with a more compliant fabric?
sewcrazy53 said... (5/8/09 3:19 PM) Reply
Good luck!! We all have days like this.
Teeavilnor said... (5/8/09 1:23 PM) Reply