Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 04-2009-101 (Skirt w/ Front Pockets)

Reviewed by:madamemaigret

Best Patterns of 2009
Posted on:5/9/09 11:50 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
Tesla121 said... (5/25/09 8:53 AM) Reply
A great looking skirt, and I love the buttons!
amy in mpls said... (5/16/09 6:00 PM) Reply
Sewing the toke on this skirt was a nightmare for me too! Your skirt turned out great though...those bright buttons are too cute! :)
becca a said... (5/10/09 8:04 AM) Reply
when I looked at the pictures before reading your review my comment was going to be that you inspired me to make the skirt too. Your topstitching on the yoke looks great. What was your common sense solution to Burda's conundrum? Perhaps you could get a zipper foot or even a plastic invisible zipper foot at your local sewing store to make zipper insertion less painful.
Margie T said... (5/10/09 0:57 AM) Reply
I like your skirt. Don't be so hard on yourself.
Mary Nanna said... (5/9/09 4:50 PM) Reply
Good on you for giving it a crack! I always use a secondary guide to sew BWOF patterns. Every detail I look up in my book and use their pictures to help me. I'm not a word person, I need pictures! Great start to your sewing career, keep it up!
Kristine Kay said... (5/9/09 3:55 PM) Reply
You look great in this skirt, please wear it with confidence!
Vintage Joan said... (5/9/09 3:49 PM) Reply
What a great skirt!! :) I'm impressed that you were able to sew in an invisible zipper by hand. Can you perhaps find a zipper foot that fits your machine (e.g. at a sewing machine shop)?
Re Becca said... (5/9/09 12:59 PM) Reply
I agree with the others, this is super cute. I love the fabric and the buttons on the front.
Kay Y said... (5/9/09 12:54 PM) Reply
I agree with the 2 of them - this skirt looks very good to me, especially the wonderful finishing job you did on the seams, and the fit also looks excellent. The rule about sewing is that if no one will notice the little mistake or flaw you are obsessing over from 8 feet then it doesn't exist!
Diane E said... (5/9/09 12:39 PM) Reply
I agree with Christa -- your skirt looks pretty on, and it fits nicely. The inside is absolutely impeccable. Bravo to you for finishing the project, which was a great learning experience. If you are really disappointed with the way it feels when you wear it, think of it as a collection of sewing samples or "exercises." There's inestimable value in that. IMO you should wear the skirt -- it's darling -- and just keep moving so no one can catch you with their carpenter's level.
Christas said... (5/9/09 12:20 PM) Reply
Don't feel so badly! I have sewn a 2 dot Burda that almost made me bald, and I have been sewing for over 23 years! I think you did a nice job and it looks cute on you from what I can see.

by: Haruka

by: halleyscom...

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern