Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6461 (Misses' Skirts in Two Lengths)

Reviewed by:Jennifer shaw

About Jennifer shawstarstar
Posted on:5/17/09 10:05 PM
Last Updated:8/4/09 4:26 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular Petite
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
See other patterns in this category: Skirts

Jennifer shaw said... (5/24/09 9:39 PM) Reply
Thanks Marita! That top is the latest version of my TNT Simplicity top out of some gorgeous Swiss cotton knit from the stash!
Marita Kinnula said... (5/19/09 1:12 AM) Reply
Jen, it's definetly the fabric, flowier should do the trick, although I kind of like this one too, you're wearing a nice top BTW:-)
Annette1 said... (5/18/09 2:46 PM) Reply
Sounds like a plan! I'll look forward to seeing the latest version.
SarahSews said... (5/18/09 11:20 AM) Reply
Jennifer, I made this skirt pattern from a cotton/ lycra for my first time with this pattern. I had commentary from 6 sewing friends, while walking to a restaurant for lunch. It was like having a 6-sided mirror review. As much as I loved the fabric, there were many things wrong, such as too stiff, not flowing, didn't accent the better parts of me; so it was not that flattering. I learned so much from my walking sewing friends review, that I went back and made the skirt 3 more times. I have use rayon and linen/cotton. I have had more good comments on the linen/cotton one, usually each time I wear it. I've worked with the pattern, eliminated the band and zipper, making an elastic waist and also, cut down on the bell shape at the bottom of the skirt. This is my favorite pattern, to date. I love it for a quick serged skirt. Play with it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Tov said... (5/18/09 1:26 AM) Reply
Jennifer, I've made this skirt in a number of fabrics. So far, rayon is my favorite.Linen/rayon blend fabric worked well too. Also, I found the pattern too large and went down a couple of sizes(unusual for me to do) to get a good fit. You can also modify the curve of the 'bell' at the bottom of the panel which will work well in a less drapey fabric. It really is a fun skirt to wear!
Jennifer shaw said... (5/11/09 10:54 PM) Reply
Thanks, Annette1! I used to wear gored skirts all of the time.
Annette1 said... (5/11/09 12:19 PM) Reply
Well, you most certainly have the figure for this skirt, so if you're not feeling the love, maybe the drapier fabric you mentioned would change your perspective. As for your hubby's comment, you should say, "It's not EVERYBODY who can look STUNNING in a sheet!" Oh, I just thought of a REALLY cute gored pattern that you would look SO cute in. It's got ruching at the hips and then the gores go down from there. I've never made it, so I'm not exactly sure of the details (other than I know it has that ruching). It's REALLY cute. It's a Burda. If I can find it, I'll post it on the hourglass thread so you can see it.
Jennifer shaw said... (5/10/09 11:53 PM) Reply
Meh, I am just not so crazy about it. Could it be the fabric I used?? If you have made this skirt, did you use a softer material? Maybe that is why I am not so thrilled with it.

by: dinagideon