Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 6589 (NEWLOOK)

Reviewed by:Nodika

About Nodika
TX USA
Member since: 5/2/09
Skill level:Beginner
Posted on:5/11/09 1:55 AM

aylla said... (10/30/09 4:20 AM) Reply
I feel you girl. I speak 5 and can read 4 and sometimes I don't get these! BTW, I was gonna try to make that dress!
SoVintage said... (5/31/09 11:08 AM) Reply
Don't give up. Ihave learned through the years that these challenges will benefit us in a future pattern. PR has invaluable resources. I am unable to enlarge your photo, but what I can see it looks great. Divide and conquer, 1 step at a time....the one I'm working on now I had to stop for the day and re group, went back to it a day later, and saw the problem, solved it, and now step 2....Hang in there
fryman said... (5/13/09 6:34 PM) Reply
Thanks for the valuable warning.
EleanorSews said... (5/12/09 2:12 PM) Reply
Like others, I agree that the photo is looking pretty cute. I checked the pattern and have to admit that it's the kind of thing that I would be pinning seams as I removed the pattern pieces plus using multi-color chalk to mark what seams to match up. You might want to pull the instruction sheet out of the pattern envelope and look at it before buying a pattern to decide if the pattern is something you want to try now or maybe later on. As cute as the dress looks to the stage you reached, you really should keep at it. You do seem to have a knack for it.
Orangelentils said... (5/12/09 0:25 AM) Reply
Hmm.. maybe the pic is too small to see your mistake? Because your dress is gorgeous and creative!! Too cute, I love it.
SexiSadi said... (5/11/09 11:52 AM) Reply
Don't give up. Sewing, like anything else is a skill that takes practice. Most of us were not pros during our first projects. This dress doesn't look like a beginer project -- Try a simpler project next time, things will work better for you.
Annette1 said... (5/11/09 11:40 AM) Reply
From what I can see of your picture, it LOOKS really PRETTY. If it's salvageable, hang onto it. When you cool down, you might have another go at it, and the "lightbulb" may come on. In the meantime, you can work on something cute and easy to cheer you up!
Marie-Claude said... (5/11/09 6:08 AM) Reply
I'm sorry your project didn't work out in the end. It would be nice if you could post some pictures of the problems you were having, maybe someone could help you make sense of the instructions! Don't let this mishap let you down though!
LornaJay said... (5/11/09 4:33 AM) Reply
I'm really sorry you didn't manage to get this one to work. If you post on the "beginners" board, you might get some help. My suggestion is to label each piece as you cut it out (just pin a bit of paper to the wrong side with the name and number of the piece) and lay them out in the order that you'll need them. You might also like to label the edges that get joined A to A, B to B etc in addition to the notches that the pattern gives you. You will be able to sew something like this - it just takes a lot more time! I like the patterns with more pieces as they allow more options for getting them to fit.

Serendipity Studio Sew Serendipity Bag (book