Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 106519-1001 (Moulin Rouge Gown)

Reviewed by:unfinishedprojects

About unfinishedprojectsstarstar
AB Canada
Member since: 8/26/07
Posted on:6/30/09 1:14 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 29 people
SoVintage said... (7/1/10 0:52 AM) Reply
It has all been said....but I must say it to WOW, Beautiful, Incredible, Wonderful.....I would love to tackle this too someday :)
DesignsByDenise said... (6/5/10 1:22 PM) Reply
What a beautiful gown. I saw the reference on your current wedding dress project, and I'm glad I got the chance to take a look. I echo all the previous statements about your talent, the drafting, the finished product. Wow! Did you get any photos from the actual wedding that you could share? I'll bet it was a stunning production, with the bride wearing that magnificent creation!
BenaeQuee said... (10/20/09 10:34 PM) Reply
OMG WOW! As a costumer by hobby, I can really appreciate all the attention to detail you put into this gown. You did an excellent job on it and I am bookmarking your progress info for my own reference. I have always loved this gown, and you have given me inspiration to add it to my to-do list :-D
CarolynSue said... (7/29/09 0:59 AM) Reply
Wow, this lady is beyond talented. That is a beautiful gown. I can certainly tell from her descriptions that she has put a lot of time and effort into making this from scratch. I am just amazed at the detail and craftsmanship. Excellent job, excellent job.
supermollio said... (7/28/09 4:00 PM) Reply
Wow! This is a stunning work of art.
theluxuriousvagabond said... (7/28/09 2:30 AM) Reply
amazing drafting job! It turned out wonderfully and is a dress that will stop anybody in his or her tracks.
Phasionz by M said... (7/27/09 11:36 PM) Reply
chloeE said... (7/27/09 1:02 PM) Reply
Beautiful work!!! The review is amazing as are you!!! As an aside, I always notice how many times a review has been "viewed" and feel badly when a sensationally superlative review (such as yours), that more viewers do not leave a rating. I think if one such as yourself has taken the time to share, then those who view should leave a review in return. (sorry for the soapbox). I really appreciate the work that goes into posting for all to see.
Bambi Lynne said... (7/15/09 8:19 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress! And your review is wonderful! So many good comments and pictures. So often people are non-descriptive but you certainly are not. It truly inspires me to do more with my sewing! Keep up the wonderful work!
Tee Jones Actie said... (7/10/09 9:10 AM) Reply
AWESOME!!!!! It is amazing, you never drafted a pattern before, KUDOS!
Kay Y said... (7/8/09 8:08 PM) Reply
Superb - from concept to reality, it really is all perfect. She looks fabulous, and you both must be as pleased as can be.
said... (7/6/09 10:30 PM) Reply
I think all I can possibly say here is WOW!!!!
CarolynGM said... (7/6/09 8:48 PM) Reply
Spectacular gown! Your drafting process was a real education. Great work.
SG1 said... (7/6/09 1:23 PM) Reply
Holy cow, I am totally floored. This is an AMAZING dress!
jhansby said... (7/6/09 12:24 PM) Reply
cindyann said... (7/6/09 11:28 AM) Reply
Oh My Goodness! I'm so very, very impressed. That dress is a work of art. How amazing!
Sew4Fun said... (7/3/09 4:12 AM) Reply
Amazing job and sensational dress. I can't believe you have never drafted before! The fit is perfect and the dress divine, with all it's details.
AnneM said... (7/2/09 9:11 PM) Reply
Excellent dress, excellent review. I found your pictures very informative. Hope your DSIL2B knows how lucky she is!
Kellie R. said... (7/2/09 7:57 AM) Reply
I'm speechless! Just stunning, this gown glows.
unfinishedprojects said... (7/2/09 1:20 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone! Caroleleah, I did manage to eat and sleep, but I must admit that very little housework was done over the last 2 months. Sadlesor, my next project will be a can-can skirt for Krystal to wear at the reception! And I might get stuck making a bridesmaid's dress too...
Sadlesor said... (7/1/09 6:59 PM) Reply
You did an amazing job. Have enjoyed your step by step review so much that in some ways I'm sad that the dress is done. What's going to be your next undertaking?
Grammy Gin said... (7/1/09 6:31 PM) Reply
WOW! What a gorgeous gown. I can hardly imagine all the hard work you put into this....your first try at pattern! You should be so-o-o-o proud of your accomplishment! You sil to be should be ever grateful to you for all you did to get such a wonderful likeness to the original gown...all that research.. wow! I can't think of anything but WOW!!!
morzel said... (7/1/09 5:17 PM) Reply
Wonderfully detailed review on a beautiful gown. This is soooo gorgeous! You put a lot of work into this and it really shows of - this is an eyecatcher.
Mahogany Stylist said... (7/1/09 4:12 PM) Reply
What a huge undertaking. Your hard work paid off. The gown is beautiful and thanks for the details.
snapdragonfly said... (7/1/09 1:24 PM) Reply
everybody has said everything I would have liked to say so its BRAVO from me! Top Job.
Lana E said... (7/1/09 12:11 PM) Reply
Oh wow!!!! You definitely deserve applause for this one. Holy moly, I've never seen anybody start a pattern from scratch that was so involved. I really appreciate how you've made a diary of the whole process, pictures and all! Its inspirational to newbie sewers like me to see something like this. Well, its gorgeous and I know Krystal will look like a dream in it.
HeyJane said... (7/1/09 10:37 AM) Reply
Wow wow wow wow wow. Have the photographer get some candid shots of the guests' reactions...probably mouths hanging open when they see this dress ! What an amazing work on your part, Krystal is sooooooo lucky and looks fabulous in it.
semiscot said... (7/1/09 10:36 AM) Reply
fantastic! I'm really impressed
Denise L Perry said... (7/1/09 7:44 AM) Reply
What a fabulous accomplishment! I am in awe! This must have been an incredible bonding experience between the two of you. Congratulations!
Marie-Claude said... (7/1/09 6:23 AM) Reply
What. a. fabulous. dress. Hats off to your courage and your talent!! Your SIL is a very lucky person to have you ;-)
margk said... (7/1/09 4:53 AM) Reply
I am blown away by your dress, your review and your courage! Fabulous!
Caroleleah said... (7/1/09 3:20 AM) Reply
Oh. My. GOSH! I have just spent an HOUR reading your incredible review about this incredible dress and examining all of the incredible photos of the totally incredible process!!! Oh, did I mention that this is completely INCREDIBLE?!?! WOW!!! (To echo everyone else!!) This is the pinacle of sew-manship to which I can only aspire!! Golly-gosh! Would you provide a "guess-timate" of how many hours this involved? How did you MANAGE in such a short time??? Have you been able to eat, or SLEEP?! This is just absolutely AMAZING! Stunning, totally STUNNING! (I'm stunned, for sure!)
Jali said... (7/1/09 0:27 AM) Reply
Amazing is the word. I love the back and the bodice especially. This is great work!
Kayseri said... (6/30/09 9:05 PM) Reply
Absolutely fabulous! As well as the overall look (stunning) the fit and finish of this is beautiful.
lucylal said... (6/30/09 6:48 PM) Reply
**Just Beautiful!!!!!!! What a wonderful job you have done. Perfect fit, and i love the black satin showing on the the bow!**
sewbehind said... (6/30/09 6:32 PM) Reply
The jaws will drop at the wedding. What an accomplishment. You must be so proud.
QuiltersFan said... (6/30/09 5:31 PM) Reply
Well this repeats many of the previous comments but WOW! Amazing job. Really amazing. Enjoyed reading about the process.
michellep74 said... (6/30/09 5:02 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning dress!
Izzie said... (6/30/09 3:11 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning!
marjenann said... (6/30/09 2:05 PM) Reply
I will never complain about an alteration again!
Ann Smith said... (6/30/09 1:56 PM) Reply
That is just amazing. Wow. Gorgeous.
Karen6790 said... (6/30/09 1:54 PM) Reply
What an amazing achievement. This looks like you've been drafting patterns for years (and it probably feels like it by now!). My favorite part is the laced up back, it's lovely.
swede said... (6/30/09 1:53 PM) Reply
Wow, this dress is fantastic! Your future sis-in-law is one lucky girl!
JonP said... (6/29/09 8:53 PM) Reply
Amazingly beautiful.
Ligeia said... (6/25/09 7:53 AM) Reply
Wow, this is really beautiful. Looking forward to seeing the finished item. :)
Dale C said... (6/25/09 4:09 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for writing up such a detailed review on your progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished gown... Your SIL looks like she's loving every minute of this... how lucky she must feel!
unfinishedprojects said... (6/12/09 9:47 PM) Reply
I don't think bro-in-law has any clue about the dress. This might be due to a little false information being sent his way, though. Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!
jewelsfashions said... (6/12/09 2:44 PM) Reply
I have been following your progress and boy is this coming along wonderfully. You can see on your future sister-in-laws face she loves it. She looks stunning in it. I can't wait to see it totally finished. Your drafting of the pattern is amazing. You are gifted. Curious if your brother knows of the dress. If not he will be floored when she walks down the isle and I would love to see a picture of his face when he sees her for the first time in the dress. She is so lucky to have you do this.
Johanna Lu said... (6/12/09 12:06 PM) Reply
Very impressive! And this is your first pattern, wow. This ensemble will be one showstopper, and the style looks really timeless, despite it's vintage origin.
heapha said... (6/10/09 11:31 PM) Reply
wow... for someone who hasn't drafted you are AMAZING. I love the work - the dress could be professional so far.
Kayseri said... (6/10/09 10:43 PM) Reply
Oh my, the bodice is coming along beautifully. Although Krystal might need to work on her tan lines while you sew : - )
sewbehind said... (6/10/09 10:14 PM) Reply
Wow! I can't believe how beautiful this dress is becoming. Krystal will be (IS) stunning in this.
rozzybabe said... (6/10/09 8:08 PM) Reply
I've read your detailed account of this unusual, spectaclular dress, & I'm constantly blown away by your expertise! You say you've never drafted a pattern before? I'd NEVER believe it! Unbelievable work & detail; I have rarely seen anything quite like it. Your friend is so hugely blessed that you've undertaken this project for her. Tons of congratulations!!
Sew4Fun said... (6/10/09 6:57 PM) Reply
Oh this is going to stunning! Both Krystal and the dress are already gorgeous.
JonP said... (6/9/09 2:02 AM) Reply
Hello again, That's amazing!!! I hope my bodice looks at least half as good as yours.
okie2thdoc said... (6/8/09 10:32 PM) Reply
This is incredible how well you've documented this process. I can't wait until you're done...
kathleencramer said... (6/8/09 10:24 PM) Reply
You are doing a great job on the bodice. Looks like a real challenge. Keep it up! It is really looking fantastic!
Sew4Fun said... (6/8/09 8:38 PM) Reply
The bodice is looking great! Nice job.
carolynw said... (6/8/09 7:15 PM) Reply
Oh my gosh - what a project and looks like you are going like a house on fire - your future SIL will love you for life!!
Leora said... (6/8/09 6:56 PM) Reply
What an amazing process!
McKavity said... (6/8/09 4:49 PM) Reply
unfinishedprojects said... (6/8/09 11:48 AM) Reply
The lines on the drafts are guidelines based on the measurements I used- eg. X to Y is 1/4 of the hip measure, or such (all outlined in the book I used.) The lines on the actual pattern pieces are just the grainlines.
JonP said... (6/6/09 5:36 PM) Reply

JonP said... (6/6/09 5:29 PM) Reply
Thank you for that helpful hint. I see you have different lines drawn through your skirt pattern, are those certain measurements of some sort? Thanks for helping me. :)
unfinishedprojects said... (6/6/09 3:01 PM) Reply
The brown paper is plain old parcel wrapping paper, and the white paper is "banner paper" from a stationary store. Since I have now run out of both, I'm using my nephew's roll of art paper. All are good, but the cheap white papers are thin enough to trace through.
JonP said... (6/6/09 12:47 PM) Reply
Thank you for your help. I would greatly appreciate it. What kind of paper did you use to draft and make your pattern? Where did you get the paper from? I cant wait to see an update on the gown. This one looks like a winner. Thank you once again. :)
unfinishedprojects said... (6/6/09 10:07 AM) Reply
Wow, JonP- I'm so flattered that you want a copy! However, I will have to inquire about that since I will be entering this pattern in the My Pattern contest. The rules prohibit "items for which you were or will be paid to make". I'll see what I can do...
JonP said... (6/5/09 8:43 PM) Reply
Hello there, The dress is turning out beautiful. I was wondering would you be willing to sell a copy of the skirt and bow pattern of this dress. My friend wants this dress for her halloween costume this year and so far all i have done is the top. Could you help me? Thank you. :)
rebija said... (5/28/09 10:15 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous!
bconky said... (5/27/09 2:27 PM) Reply
It's amazing. Can't wait to see finished garment.
kkb4u said... (5/27/09 2:05 PM) Reply
This is gorgeous!
Sew4Fun said... (5/27/09 2:37 AM) Reply
This is looking stunning and coming along so nicely. LOVE the bow! It sits so well.
leeannz said... (5/26/09 9:23 PM) Reply
this is going to be sooo beautiful!!!!
Kayseri said... (5/25/09 1:17 AM) Reply
Comparing the bow pattern to the muslin looks like a great piece of fabric engineering at work. I'm not surprised it took so many attempts but well done for the result.
Nancy Rhodes said... (5/23/09 9:42 AM) Reply
Inspiring if only for your desire to succeed turning into taking action and keeping at it through trial and error... BRAVO! This gown will be absolutely spectacular!
Saya said... (5/23/09 5:22 AM) Reply
Wow! The skirt already looks great without the bow. Can't wait to see your finished result.
rozzybabe said... (5/19/09 1:13 PM) Reply
I'm stunned by everything you've done. If you've never drafted a pattern before, you either learn quickly or are a genius-or both!! The whole process is totally professional & cannot be faulted in any way. The dress looks absolutely gorgeous; I hope the bride really knows how blessed she is to have you make such a beautiful, one-of-a-kind creation. Congratulations!!
Dale C said... (5/19/09 0:44 AM) Reply
That's looking good!
Sadlesor said... (5/18/09 10:10 PM) Reply
What a fantastic job. Can't wait to see the finished gown! Thanks for sharing such an interesting project.
unfinishedprojects said... (5/17/09 2:50 PM) Reply
sixcatsterry: Yes, I saw that Susan Khalje was giving a bridal course- it should be excellent! I am constantly referring to her Bridal Couture book.
sixcatsterry said... (5/16/09 6:32 PM) Reply
What a project to take on without every having drafted before. I think you are doing a great job. Remember always do a muslin before the real thing. Did you know that there is a course offer for bridal gowns starting June 6th. It might be useful.
MagpieJen said... (5/16/09 0:27 AM) Reply
It's looking fabulous!
Sew4Fun said... (5/15/09 10:37 PM) Reply
This is coming along nicely. Good luck!
Karen8320 said... (5/14/09 11:04 PM) Reply
This is fabulous thinking! Thank you for sharing your design and drafting process with us. You are well on the way to making the most wonderful gown that Krystal will look stunning in. Please keep us updated about how things progress and, more importantly, how the gown turns out.
lucylal said... (5/14/09 7:38 PM) Reply
All the best!!!! I can't wait to see the finished product!
Ariadne said... (5/14/09 3:39 PM) Reply