Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8538 (Marcy Tilton jacket)

Reviewed by:mm

About mmstar
NSW Australia
Member since: 1/6/03
Posted on:5/18/09 8:54 PM
Last Updated:5/19/09 2:43 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

Home Sewing Depot

Home Dec Sewing Supplies

mm said... (7/20/09 8:57 PM) Reply
Ann I am so pleased you like it. I didn't add cuffs but just turned the sleeves back as the pattern was a bit too big. There is a small slit at the end of the sleeves that helps the turn up.
Ann Smith said... (7/4/09 1:41 AM) Reply
I love your jacket so much I decided to jump this pattern to the top of my pile and I'm working on it now. Question.... did you add cuffs or have you just turned up the sleeves?
lisa d458 said... (6/3/09 6:56 PM) Reply
I also found this jacket to be too big for me and it was really hard to tell what size it would turn out until it was done. But, I still love it and I will probably go and buy the smaller size pattern sometime in the future. My cotton was stiff so I added no interfacing. I dropped my feed dogs, put on a darning foot and did free motion zigzagging for the decorative stitches. I set up a second sewing machine so I didn't have to switch back and forth between the darning foot and the regular foot. Also, I had a bit of trouble with the pockets and never did get the inside of them right. I put the velcro on for closures but didn't use any heat sensitive glue to attach it, just a pin. My larger sized friends are trying to steal this jacket from me!
barbcl said... (5/19/09 12:29 PM) Reply
Fantastic jacket! The fabric really does the design justice, and your sewing is WOW. Looks great.
EleanorSews said... (5/19/09 11:39 AM) Reply
Interesting jacket. It appears to be the perfect crossover season jacket that will accomodate a heavier sweater when needed. I like the shaping as often what you find are boxy looking jackets.
jannw said... (5/19/09 10:53 AM) Reply
Great jacket..I will now move this pattern up in my "to sew" line. Thanx for the tips
moushka said... (5/19/09 10:33 AM) Reply
Great jacket, thanks for the inspiring review.
m/m said... (5/19/09 9:49 AM) Reply
Looks good and comfortable to wear as an extra layer. Combining the front darts and the pockets is quite a challenge and you managed it beautifully!
marthamyers said... (5/19/09 8:59 AM) Reply
Great jacket! None of your mistakes are visible and you've inspired me. When I saw this jacket pattern, I was unimpressed, but yours is beautiful. Maybe I *need* this pattern, after all. Thanks for your review!
CarolynGM said... (5/19/09 6:53 AM) Reply
Your photo link is working fine now. I'm fascinated with this pattern and would love to try it too.
Izzie said... (5/18/09 11:26 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks nice in the thumbnail picture. I wish I could help you, but I'm not familiar with using Flickr. Hopefully someone will chime in with instructions and I will look forward to seeing a larger picture. I had not paid much attention to this pattern, but your fine review had piqued my intrest!

Beyond the BoatNeck