Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5818

Last Updated:11/24/09 5:11 PM
See other patterns in this category: Suits / Separates

Other Projects by Mahogany Stylist using this Pattern

prostheticsgirl said... (2/28/13 10:27 AM) Reply
Wow, both versions look wonderful! I love the blue shoes with your floral version; great job
mochimo said... (11/25/09 5:47 AM) Reply
Beautiful!
senaSews said... (11/25/09 3:05 AM) Reply
the dress fits you like a glove. Great LBD!
SusiM said... (11/24/09 11:02 PM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing this lovely pattern. Your dress looks beautiful on you.
sewtime said... (11/24/09 5:21 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress, you look great.
Mahogany Stylist said... (6/5/09 10:08 AM) Reply
Pati Palmer - What a grand complement. Thank you so much! I would be honored for you to post my photo. My name is Cennetta Burwell-Walker living in Chicago, Illinois.
Pati Palmer said... (6/4/09 3:23 PM) Reply
Can I show off your photo on our web site with the pattern M5818? You look so fabulous in the dress and you did a great job. Let me know. I can copy it from here and put your name, city and state by the photo if you'd like to give me that info. I will not show the picture without your permission. At any rate. You are GOOD!! Pati Palmer
kim*brown said... (5/30/09 10:29 PM) Reply
So pretty!
Mahogany Stylist said... (5/23/09 8:48 PM) Reply
Hi Bananaoil, I true the cutting line by gradually decreasing collecting the end of the extended section to the rest of the side seam. I hope that is clear. Thanks, Cennetta
Barbara V said... (5/23/09 11:23 AM) Reply
Lovely fabric and beautiful dress! You achieved such a great and flattering fit. Great work.
AuntieShel said... (5/23/09 9:51 AM) Reply
Your dress rocks on you!
bananaoil said... (5/21/09 10:52 PM) Reply
The dress is lovely (and you have the shoes!) Looking at the broad shoulder alteration, once you slide the shoulder area out and make the shoulder seam longer, do you blend the extended side seam back with the lower side seam or, cut the side seam even from the armhole down? I hope this is clear.
Sheila457 said... (5/21/09 12:21 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress.
Heatherrique said... (5/20/09 8:06 PM) Reply
Cennetta, you look so breathtakingly chic in this dress! You achieved a superb fit and I adore this style on you!
velosewer said... (5/20/09 7:37 PM) Reply
You've done a great dress, fantastic fabric choice and the pattern suits your frame too. 3 out of 3.
Sharon M said... (5/20/09 6:42 PM) Reply
I love it! I'm so glad you reviewed this. The pattern is in my stash but I wasn't sure about it. I'm convinced I must sew it after seeing yours. Your fabric choice is perfect!
Christas said... (5/20/09 3:56 PM) Reply
WOWZA! This looks fantastic on you!
Mahogany Stylist said... (5/20/09 11:03 AM) Reply
I received an e-mail from one of my blog buddies asking about my selection of pattern size and about the process of making the FBA. I thought it would be a good idea to post that response here as well. Size 14 is closest to my other body measurements. The size 16 neckline is too big for me, not to mention the waist and hip area. I'm a little top heavy. lol As it is when I make the FBA, that adds width to the waist and hip area. I end up sewing larger seam allowances past the bustline and increased vertical darts. I'm not sure if this approach will work for you. But you can try it with pattern fit or muslin. The reason I only make the FBA on the bodice area of the dress, is to save time. I cut the pattern piece into two pieces, separating the bodice from the skirt of the front dress pattern. Next, I make the FBA only on the bodice section. Then I tape the bodice and skirt sections back together, match the side seam at the waist area. To true the Center Front line of the pattern, I simply do that as I cut the actual dress/lining out of the fashion fabric. My goal is to maximize my sewing time as I'm always involved in so many things non-stop.
Obrooks770 said... (5/20/09 10:58 AM) Reply
Cute summer dress, it looks wonderful on you!
Mahogany Stylist said... (5/20/09 10:44 AM) Reply
Khunter - I purchased the shoes about 2 years ago from DSW. I wear them with other outfits in my wardrobe. Thanks, C
khunter said... (5/20/09 10:20 AM) Reply
Just wondering if you got those great shoes before buying the fabric or after? Stunning outfit!!!!!!
Mahogany Stylist said... (5/20/09 10:13 AM) Reply
Leora - My apology for not including details on how I handle the vertical darts when I make a FBA. For me, initially I redraw the section of the dart that is moved as a result of the FBA. This serves as the test location. I baste the VD front darts, shoulder and side seams to check fit and placement of the dart. If adjustments are needed, I use pins as markers, remove the dress, remove the basting and stitch the new location for the seams and darts. For this dress, I ended up moving the darts slightly towards the middle. The side seams were sewn at 5/8" at the armhole. From below the bust to the hem, I sewed seam allowance at 1 inch. I hope this answers your question. If you have more questions, please ask. Thank you, Cennetta
Mahogany Stylist said... (5/20/09 10:12 AM) Reply
Thanks, everyone!
Kellie R. said... (5/20/09 9:54 AM) Reply
This is gorgeous! I never noticed this pattern before... the neckline is very pretty and you look great! LOVE the shoes - they really make the whole look pop.
anncie1 said... (5/20/09 9:49 AM) Reply
This is very pretty! Don't you just love vogue!! Nice fabric/dress combo, I live for those finds!!!
Michelle L said... (5/20/09 8:38 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Thanks for all the details on the alterations.
halleyscomet said... (5/20/09 8:11 AM) Reply
Very classy looking and the color is great on you! Good job!
wreninrome said... (5/20/09 8:00 AM) Reply
reminds me of First Lady Obama and her love of sheath dresses...which i love too! beautiful work
Danvillegirl said... (5/20/09 6:47 AM) Reply
Great looking dress. Truly love the fabric and the fabric price!!
Leora said... (5/20/09 1:47 AM) Reply
I don't get your vertical dart. Did you do the FBA then sew the VD as originally drawn? so many questions!!! Love the dress!
Athene said... (5/20/09 0:43 AM) Reply
Such a fresh spring and summer look. Thank you so much for the photo of the FBA - it makes it so clear.
imsewcrazy said... (5/20/09 0:26 AM) Reply
Very beautiful dress! It looks great on you. Love the fabric!
Heidi Ho said... (5/19/09 11:04 PM) Reply
Very nice dress!!
renren said... (5/19/09 9:30 PM) Reply
Beautful! Love the color and styling and thanks a million for showing the alterations you made. I love it when reviwers do that because no matter how many times I read about it, the best way to really understand it is to see a picture.
QuickFade said... (5/19/09 9:16 PM) Reply
Stunning! Very inspirational! It fits you so well, and the shoes are perfect. I would not have thought of that fabric for that pattern. I have probably twenty yards of fabric of that type that I got in different prints from Hancock's for $2 a yard a few years ago, and I never thought of making a pretty sheath like that. All I could think of was a flowy skirt or a peasant top style dress. I like your idea much better. Thanks!
Gold said... (5/19/09 8:40 PM) Reply
Cute dress! Love the fabric!

More Knits