Online Sewing Class: Create a Jacket Muslin

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 10-2005-101B (Dandy jacket)

Reviewed by:yummymummy38

About yummymummy38star
SA Australia
Member since: 5/15/06
Posted on:3/26/15 7:12 PM
Project Photo:BurdaStyle Magazine: 10-2005-101B by yummymummy38

BurdaStyle Magazine: 10-2005-101B by yummymummy38  BurdaStyle Magazine: 10-2005-101B by yummymummy38
Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Fabric:Silk Tussah  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: close fitting dandy jacket with front mock peplum, trumpet cuffs and wide collar

Pattern Sizing:I made my usual 38/40

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?yes, however the collar did not want to sit correctly (I tacked it down, rather than have it flapping around unattractively.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Not really, this took me 28.5 hours and there were many more alterations than a BWOF jacket usually requires for me.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?Like the curvy shape, the French dart with mock peplum and unusual collar.

Fabric Used:cobalt blue raw silk (2.2m of 120cm)

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:Many! Tucks to narrow shoulders, raise neckline, shorten cuffs (usual for me), added 2.5cm for back hem. During construction there was excess fabric near the bust, and too tight sleeves, so more was shaved off armholes, shoulder seam was made more sloped and armholes were dropped.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I'm not sure if I will sew it again, I might now that the trauma of alterations is gone, probably altering the collar. I was on the fence about this for 18months, as one of the self fabric buttons fell apart and I procrastinated about remaking it. Now that I've worn it to many positive comments, I am loving it. It's flattering on a brick like me. I notice it is very similar to a Vogue pattern...

Conclusion: shapely little jacket, not recommended for beginners.

liliv said... (3/27/15 7:24 PM) Reply
It's a very pretty and cute jacket in an amazing color!
sew2little said... (3/27/15 5:21 PM) Reply
Your jacket is beautiful--and becoming! It was worth the time and trouble!
Schera said... (3/27/15 5:20 PM) Reply
This jacket looks so pretty on you. I love the collar.
degnancy said... (3/27/15 11:12 AM) Reply
Very cute! I'm a brick myself and I love those curvy lines.
racurac said... (3/27/15 10:01 AM) Reply
Great jacket! I love the sleeves!
hospicesw said... (3/26/15 10:11 PM) Reply
jacket looks great! thanks for the review though, sounds like a pattern i will put on my only if you have nothing better to do with your time list, lol
BlueSkysAhead said... (3/26/15 9:28 PM) Reply
Nice jacket. I like the color too.

Colette Patterns Meringue