Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2239 (Vintage 1950's evening gown)

Reviewed by:Poifect

About Poifectstar
OR USA
Member since: 10/27/08
Posted on:5/25/09 2:18 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
Poifect said... (7/2/09 6:14 PM) Reply
The total construction time was about 14 hrs. Including cutting out of pattern, fabric and sewing. The construction part that surprised me was the zipper. It is prickstitched by hand which I had never done before, and as mentioned above I did not trust it to really hold. I always think if I sew it by hand it is not as sturdy but I was wrong. And with the satin it really looks beautiful and did prevented pulls and gathers. It also had a grossgrain inside belt. It is tacked on several points to the lining and helps to hold up the waight of the skirt. The dress does have boning in the lining. In the side seam, the front darts and next to the zipper in the back. The belt is much narrower in the front as mentioned above (only about 1/2" wide) and I added some crystalls to make it stand out more. The hem is a rolled hem which I did on the serger with a wolly nylon in both loopers. It was much faster instead of a hand rolled hem which is recomended in the pattern. I hope this helps.
Irene said... (5/25/09 2:44 PM) Reply
The dress looks beautiful. Could you make the photo clickable? I'd love to see the details better. Which construction techniques surprised you?
Rosebeee said... (5/25/09 11:01 AM) Reply
Sounds like a great dress! The red & white colors look nice in your thumbnail photo!
Re Becca said... (5/25/09 10:28 AM) Reply
It looks very pretty, but the picture won't enlarge. Can you show us what went into the structure of the bodice, is there boning?
Uhoh said... (5/25/09 10:03 AM) Reply
Would have preferred more detail about the construction techniques.
JoanneM said... (5/25/09 9:22 AM) Reply
You have been busy! Love the men's suit and the dress. Did it take a while to make both outfits? What was the time factor for the men's suit and for your dress? Looks fantastic. Both items!
Poifect said... (5/25/09 2:49 AM) Reply
I wore it to the annual Viennese Ball in Portland, OR.
MaryDB said... (5/25/09 2:46 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress, wonderful job. What's the occasion?

Sewing Workshop Now & Zen Shirts Pattern