Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8407 (Skirt)

Reviewed by:Deepika

Sweater knit fabrics

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

Sue Parrott said... (10/6/11 8:04 PM) Reply
This is just a great skirt and your fabric choice is beautiful! Glad it didn't turn into a tablecloth!!!
Cultured Purl said... (4/30/10 9:11 AM) Reply
What a gorgeous skirt! I am getting back into sewing after taking way to many years off and am looking to do a full fall wardrobe this summer ( trying to be ahead of the game!) and finding patterns I like ,then working with colors and different textiles to create my own " mini wardrobe"~ I found this skirt while looking under the mini wardrobe PR contest to give me some idea where to start in planning this~ I just HAD to have this pattern as one of my skirt pattern choices ( have 3 now) and will be working with tops and even jeans and dress slacks~ I wanted to thank you for this wonderful website b/c no one I know sews anymore and this helps me get information I could NOT get anywhere elsewhere, plus it shoes me what a pattern looks like on a real person! In my case boots and shoes go into my mini wardrobe so I can only say this site has been THE most helpful site for a returning seamstress like me! BTW, I play violin (classical and Celtic) and I stand up while playing classically so I am going to look long and hard for a top to work with this skirt in a knit so I have good freedom of movement in my arms and back~ All I can say is you look SO good in this pattern I ordered it immediately and will start with fabric swatches now ~ THAN YOU for the idea of making a mini wardrobe, its making me think about every fabric purchase now!( and I cant wait to get started on THIS pattern , ordered if via PR!
nehozack said... (10/6/09 8:57 PM) Reply
This is so pretty on you... I am not usually a fan of long panel skirts, most of the time they look kind of stuffy, but you look amazing. I hope you ended up making your wool one!
Deepika said... (7/21/09 8:30 AM) Reply
Karen, I am 5'3". I shortened the skirt by an inch but I did it at the shorten line up on the panels. But if I make it again and I will, I will certainly shave off some more inches both from there and from the hem. Be careful of taking out too much from the hem. You dont want to distort that lovely trumpet shape. Hope this helps.
KarenMG said... (7/20/09 3:51 PM) Reply
Deepika, did you shorten the skirt from the hem? I'm 5' tall and I wonder would it be worth it to make this skirt?
Barbara3 said... (6/5/09 0:15 AM) Reply
Looking forward to hearing how it goes with the TS denim. Maybe just a little bit of stretch will help us all sit down in that skirt!
Deepika said... (6/4/09 3:03 PM) Reply
Barbara, actually I was just thinking that. The denim I have is from Textile Studio. It has just a little bit of stretch and I think that would work well. Report to follow later.
Barbara3 said... (6/4/09 12:49 PM) Reply
Deepika, I can't believe I almost missed your review. I told you that you were just stunning in that skirt at PR weekend, and everyone else seems to have agreed. Of course, your beautiful figure doesn't hurt either. I haven't looked at skirts in years, but this one on you really caught my attention. I bought the pattern and have been waiting for any tips you might have to share in a review - so thanks! If you make another up in a denim, do you think it would work well to use one with just a bit of stretch? I was thinking about doing that but wouldn't want the stretch to change any of the beautiful lines. Anyway, thanks for sharing the inspiration with us at PR weekend and here!
sew2little said... (6/3/09 6:17 PM) Reply
I noticed this beautiful skirt in the Portland PR weekend pics and wondered why we hadn't seen a review--because it is FABULOUS!
CynthiaSue said... (6/3/09 4:06 PM) Reply
You guys, Deepika looked so awesome in this skirt. She sewed it perfectly and the fit was amazing. Deepika, your butt looked amazing in this skirt!!! And thanks for the awesome awesome Petersham tip. that will be SO helpful in the future. Also those side panels look so well sewn and your fabric shows them off!
AdaF said... (6/3/09 1:54 PM) Reply
Beautiful skirt! It does complement your figure very well! Congrats on finally using a 5 yo stash item!
loohoo44 said... (6/3/09 1:51 PM) Reply
this was so gorgeous on you Deepika!
AdaF said... (6/3/09 1:46 PM) Reply
Jali said... (6/3/09 11:33 AM) Reply
What a beautiful skirt! The skirt had caught my eye in the PR Weekend photos referred to in the latest PR newsletter. I recognized the top from your previous review and thought how well coordinated the whole look was. And now to see that you made it so splendidly...awesome job!
kerrynw said... (6/3/09 11:32 AM) Reply
Great skirt and top. Beautiful fit!
persevering said... (6/3/09 10:48 AM) Reply
Deepika, Thank you very much for your reply. I was previously hesitant about making this because of some earlier reviews. However, your answer makes it a go ahead for me. I bought this pattern after seeing it (at least a couple of years ago) being worn by 3 employees at Fabricland in Toronto - the one with the average weight figure looked stunning in an understated elegant way like Deepika, and the other 2 looked very good. The 3 told me that they were very happy with the skirt (they stand at their jobs). Only at that time I didn't know to ask the question Deepika thankfully answered for me.
snapdragonfly said... (6/3/09 9:18 AM) Reply
This is fab, dare I say better than the pattern photo? yes indeed...
Kellie R. said... (6/3/09 8:21 AM) Reply
Lovely skirt! You have the perfect figure for this style. Thanks for the helpful review; I've never heard of Petersham. I hope this means more skirts to come!
thirteenstitches said... (6/3/09 5:36 AM) Reply
Thank you for a great review and for the tip on petersham. I am not curently familiar with this product BUT will be soon! You look TOO cute : )
Christina Sonja said... (6/3/09 2:01 AM) Reply
I saw this in Portland too so I can vouch for how fabulous it is - the fit is perfect :) what we all strive for! And the Jalie top is a great coordinate.
Deepika said... (6/2/09 11:33 PM) Reply
Wow, you all give me such a big ego boost. Thank you for such nice comments and if being able to wear this skirt means that I don't gain even an inch, then so be it. I will starve but I will wear it :) Leslie I've never seen this particular skirt in the Burda Mags. But you can buy it here. Joan Thanks for the tips on adding ease to the skirt. I will use it the next time I make it. Cathy I bought my petersham from The Sewing Place. Josephine's in Portland had a few colors and so did Fabric Depot. persevering Yes, I can walk comfortably. However I won't be running any marathons in it any time soon :)
Elke said... (6/2/09 11:20 PM) Reply
Fabulous skirt...very cute on you!
VtMartha said... (6/2/09 10:41 PM) Reply
Perfect!
Sewnsewmom said... (6/2/09 10:32 PM) Reply
Wow! Very beautiful. The skirt is a great fit and with the top - what a perfect combination!
Raye Ann said... (6/2/09 10:25 PM) Reply
thank you for highlighting this pattern! your skirt is absolutely beautiful.
Schnauzer said... (6/2/09 10:21 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous skirt, Deepika.
Hilary said... (6/2/09 10:20 PM) Reply
Gorgeous skirt!! I t looks wonderful on you, and I too love the fabric~well done!
Kathi R said... (6/2/09 10:02 PM) Reply
The fabric is really stunning with the large embroidered dots ... a very rich looking garment so who cares if you have to stand up! thanks for the review
persevering said... (6/2/09 9:11 PM) Reply
Deepika, Thank you for making this skirt and reviewing it. Your whole outfit is beautiful and the skirt is stunning. Please tell me, Can you walk comfortably in this skirt?
Amanda S. said... (6/2/09 8:48 PM) Reply
Okay, I don't wear long skirts, but I think I need this pattern! It is so pretty and figure flattering. The whole outfit is really stylish and summery. Great job!
PVA said... (6/2/09 8:35 PM) Reply
Deepika, a smashing look on you! Who wants to sit down when they look like that standing-up? Perfect with the top! Thanks for a great review, I'll have to check out that Susan Khalje class -- I've never done the hand-picked zipper. (Hmmmmmm . . )
JanJanB said... (6/2/09 8:25 PM) Reply
They must have made this pattern especially for you! Your whole outfit looks absolutely gorgeous on you!
EleanorSews said... (6/2/09 8:25 PM) Reply
You look lovely in this skirt, even if sitting in it is a challenge! Good reminder about the petersham. Gee, I can recall when you could actually find this is your local fabric shop....so long ago....
Ann Smith said... (6/2/09 8:16 PM) Reply
This is so flattering on you. Make more, more, more. Oh good, I already have this pattern.
donna mel said... (6/2/09 7:33 PM) Reply
beautiful tablecloth...i mean skirt! i'm not sure all of us can pull it off quite as well as you!
Gold said... (6/2/09 6:59 PM) Reply
Very cute!
homejewel said... (6/2/09 6:29 PM) Reply
I hope you figure out how to comfortably sit down because this skirt is gorgeous. Thank you for the Petersham recommendation. I've never heard of it and looked it up. It sounds like a much better alternative to twill tape.
Patti B said... (6/2/09 6:11 PM) Reply
Woohoo, what a skirt! When I look at the patterns for gored skirts, I wonder if they are going out of style. Then I see how fantastic they look and think, "no way!"
sewbehind said... (6/2/09 6:01 PM) Reply
Okay, Deepika, you sold me on this pattern. It is so flattering on you. Much better on you than a tablecloth. Great handpicked zipper too. A very flattering combination.
FreyaStark said... (6/2/09 5:52 PM) Reply
A lovely skirt. Well done.
Sweetiebop said... (6/2/09 5:41 PM) Reply
I've had this pattern for years and hadn't made it but it is SMOKING on you. Great skirt and fabric.
carolynw said... (6/2/09 5:19 PM) Reply
Stunning - I think you need to have a figure like yours to carry this off.
cathy hansen said... (6/2/09 4:40 PM) Reply
oooh- petersham, huh? So where can a girl find it? I imagine Joann's and Hancock's don't carry it, so anyone know of any online sources? By the way- it is a simply gorgeous skirt in person as well as in the photos!
TalyQ said... (6/2/09 3:51 PM) Reply
I love the look of that skirt. It is really pretty.
Heidi Ho said... (6/2/09 3:41 PM) Reply
Great skirt!
Christas said... (6/2/09 3:37 PM) Reply
I cannot believe this fabric was $3.00 a yard ... what a find! What a GORGEOUS outfit your skirt makes with your top ...... quite worth not being able to sit down easily! Thanks for the petersham tip.
Tiner W said... (6/2/09 3:34 PM) Reply
Gorgeous--so flattering!
Vintage Joan said... (6/2/09 3:16 PM) Reply
Beautiful, beautiful! :) That fabric is amazing. BTW, if you're interested in adding a tiny bit to your "sitting down" room, I always sew Burda seams at 1.5 cm quite religiously, because Burda drafts in metric and 5/8" is about 1 mm wider (eight seams X 2 sides each would give you 16 mm, i.e. about 5/8" added to the total). Or you can ignore all of the above and just enjoy the extra "hug." ;)
KrystalL said... (6/2/09 3:15 PM) Reply
This skirt is very cute, and the panels make it so flattering! I need to find this pattern now!
maryfrana said... (6/2/09 3:03 PM) Reply
You are fabulous in this skirt, which we saw at PR Weekend. It fits so perfectly. I don't think it needs to be any shorter. Beautiful as is.
redhotpepper said... (6/2/09 2:59 PM) Reply
You deserve to show it off because it is so darned cute! Great tip about the petersham. Now that I think about it, I do have some RTW skirts with this treatment.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (6/2/09 2:55 PM) Reply
Very pretty skirt!! ON and off you, Deepika!! Thank you for the very helpful tips.
RLL said... (6/2/09 2:53 PM) Reply
What a lovely outfit. Beautiful job on both the skirt and top and great color on you.
Leslie in Austin said... (6/2/09 2:45 PM) Reply
I loved seeing this skirt on you in person, Deepika. Seriously flattering and sexy in an understated way. You have a smokin' figure and this skirt took it to super hot! Any chance this pattern is in some issue of BWOF?
Braemar said... (6/2/09 2:39 PM) Reply
Beautiful skirt. Very flattering.

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns