Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 8649 (Vintage OOP Child's Dress)

Reviewed by:callmeRuth

About callmeRuthstarstar
OK USA
Member since: 5/4/06
Posted on:6/24/09 9:24 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
RobinMCPA said... (7/27/09 10:19 AM) Reply
The dress is so cute, but your daughter and her kitty are just adorable!!!
smoody said... (7/24/09 6:54 PM) Reply
I also have 2 little ladies to sew for and I love vintage patterns! Your beautiful work has encouraged me to pull them out and make a masterpiece. Thank you and wonderful workmanship!!!!
Spider3 said... (7/24/09 11:57 AM) Reply
Sweet! Put some wings on her & we're talking "Angel". I loved the way you documented your instructions - I felt like I was there every day, every step of the way.
Rhonda at Living Water said... (7/7/09 7:21 PM) Reply
The dress and jacket are gorgeous! I love the vintage pattern and the fabric is perfect for it. The pictures of your daughter are darling.
Primatoidefutile said... (7/2/09 3:03 PM) Reply
This is very cute ! I love the conception work
Lana E said... (7/2/09 1:13 PM) Reply
Oh wow! I have a "thing" for vintage fashion and you've sewn this little girls dress and bolero up beautifully! I love love love those bright spring colors and just the style is too adorable! I tip my hat to you-this outfit is just divine!
Sandy S said... (7/1/09 7:27 AM) Reply
I love everything about this dress! You've done a wonderful job. Your daughter looks absolutely adorable in it!
Kayseri said... (6/28/09 4:00 AM) Reply
Oh man, to be three again and wear sweet dresses like this. Emily's dress looks wonderful, and all your hard work has paid off.
busymomof3 said... (6/25/09 11:43 AM) Reply
Just precious!!! Your little model looks beautiful in the very pretty dress!
Meggie LuLu said... (6/25/09 10:50 AM) Reply
Ruth, this dress is just ADORABLE!! I absolutely LOVE that pattern!! I wish I had it so that I could make a dress just like Emily's for one of my little sisters!! This dress suits Emily PERFECTLY: the fabric, the style, and of course the "twirl factor"!!! Beautifully sewn!!
Christas said... (6/25/09 9:14 AM) Reply
Ruth, I have been excitedly watching your progress on Emily's dress. I must say that the final dress and jacket could not be any more perfect! The contrasting fabrics, the lovely vintage pattern, and the way you have expertly sewn everything together, adds up to one absolutely gorgeous little girl's dress! I agree with Sewer5 that this dress will probably be one Emily always remembers from her childhood. Lovely, lovely work! And.... could that little Emily be ANY CUTER! I don't think so!
Amanda S. said... (6/25/09 8:54 AM) Reply
Super duper cute!
Ronda Rae said... (6/25/09 8:06 AM) Reply
Beautiful creations! All three! The dress looks great on your dd~ LOVE the pics adding in the kitty!! I never have anyone to model my kids' creations. I wonder if she'll always be that blonde.
Larri Seams Inspired said... (6/25/09 7:31 AM) Reply
Ruth - This dress is so beautiful! I'm betting it will be the one your pretty daughter remembers wearing as her favorite from her childhood. Your love for her shows in this dress. Your review of it is so informative and fantastic. Thanks!
wreninrome said... (6/25/09 7:06 AM) Reply
that is just tooooo cute! that could make the cover of a magazine
Sewnsewmom said... (6/25/09 0:45 AM) Reply
Beautiful! I love the colors.
MamaSewing said... (6/24/09 11:26 PM) Reply
Wonderful, adorable dress! The fabrics are beautiful. (And you call yourself slow-my childs vintage dress isn't finished from the vintage contest earlier this year!)
kathleencramer said... (6/24/09 10:51 PM) Reply
Wow! It turned out so great! I just love it!! do you want to sell the pattern to me?
kathleencramer said... (6/21/09 0:58 AM) Reply
Great tip on the darts. Thanks!
callmeRuth said... (6/14/09 7:31 PM) Reply
Lisamarieg---that is a plus about adding the band--no hemming!
Lisamarieg said... (6/13/09 5:19 PM) Reply
really cute I bet your daughter loves it I to like the sketch with the green band I love bands for hems no blind hemming!
JodiB said... (6/11/09 1:35 PM) Reply
I love this pattern, and the colors you've chosen for it. I cant wait to see the finished dress. Now if only i could find a copy of this pattern lol
ryansmumAria said... (6/11/09 8:03 AM) Reply
soooo sweet!
callmeRuth said... (6/9/09 1:27 AM) Reply
TalyQ: I only sketch out designs when I'm playing around with fabric choices or design details. Here's a link to another page of my sketchbook: http://sewchic.blogspot.com/2008/09/sewing-with-plan.html Yes, I do think a sketchbook would be a good way of keeping track of sewing projects. That was my intent at one time, but now I just put everything on my blog.
wreninrome said... (6/8/09 11:59 AM) Reply
I think they're both cute, but IMO the green band is a fun, current style while without it is a classic, more adult look. I'm with SoVintage on the without band look being my fave.
SoVintage said... (6/8/09 8:14 AM) Reply
Difficult choice, can I assume that the green band would also be dotted swiss? I have looked at your drawings several times and I like without the band and the green jacket, but you can't go wrong either way. Patiently waiting to see the finished product.
TalyQ said... (6/8/09 5:21 AM) Reply
Ruth, I think that will look great. I am a bit interested in you sketch book =). Do you usually sketch/color things you are going to sew? Can we see a few more pictures (maybe on the blog)? I think that would be a very nice way to keep track of my sewing. Thanks.

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2015-109