Pattern Reviews> McCall's> M5433 (The Perfect Shirt)

Reviewed by:Annette1

About Annette1starstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/04
Posted on:6/14/09 11:20 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

ElizabethDee said... (7/15/09 9:43 AM) Reply
Wow! That is one great-looking shirt -- and I feel as if I've just sat in on a shirtmaking class. Thank you for all the techniques you've shown so well.
Nancywin said... (7/2/09 1:44 AM) Reply
What a wonderful thing to do for your aunt. This is a very classic looking outfit and your knack for putting the right fabrics/colors together has made this especially nice.
HeyJane said... (6/19/09 1:40 PM) Reply
OH, those sleeves.....awesome. Everything is so beautiful and perfect. Anna Ruth must LOVE it when you bring her new clothes!
Kellie R. said... (6/16/09 2:45 PM) Reply
All of the extra touches make this Extra Special! Just lovely!
Heatherrique said... (6/16/09 11:33 AM) Reply
Wowza!!! This is not only a perfect shirt, but a STYLIN' and ROCKIN' shirt! I adore not only the fabric print, but also the sleek collar, the cool buttons, and the bias cut sleeves which add further to the geometric artistry. The pants complement the shirt in style. Your MATH is impressive and precise. I could tell geometry and measurement are your strong suits. I foresee that your next review will take it to the level: some calculus by finding areas under curves and "slope" adjustments. Your review is OUTSTANDING and I appreciate very much sharing your journey and expertise- you put a lot of HEART and work into your projects to create BEAUTIFUL outfits. Anna Ruth is very lucky to be owning and wearing LA COUTURE d'ANNETTE. Your generosity and love is so evident, Annette.
Kayseri said... (6/15/09 10:31 PM) Reply
What a great looking shirt, I love the contrast. Thanks also for your very helpful tutorials.
Mahler said... (6/15/09 10:17 PM) Reply
I am so envious of aunt Anna Ruth. I love the billet sleeves, it gives your shirt such a look. Wonderful with that white band and the pants. I am impressed, as usual ! Love the buttons. Well I love it all !!!!!!! Super outfit. If your mother is reading PR and looking for grammar mistakes in English. Oh boy, do I ever wish she does not spend more then 2 seconds on one of my reviews.
Caroleleah said... (6/15/09 7:53 PM) Reply
Annette, Your reviews are AWESOME. I ALWAYS learn tons of fantastic tips and information in your incredible reviews!! Thank you very much! As usual, you've created another masterpiece! Those bias-cut sleeves are just fantastic! Aunt Anna Ruth will have a fabulous, classic (and classy!) outfit that FITS, by golly!!!
Annette1 said... (6/15/09 6:48 PM) Reply
Actually FreyaStark, I did it for both of the reasons that you list. I have a jacket in which I cut the sleeves on the bias after I discovered the jacket I had already made from that pattern (with regular sleeves) was restricting my pool-shooting capabilities -- ha! I'm SURE I would have cleared the table if only my sleeves had been on the bias in the FIRST place -- ha! THANKS AGAIN for your helpful review (even going to the extent of editing it to provide me with even more information). :o)
FreyaStark said... (6/15/09 6:14 PM) Reply
Wow! A brilliant effort and a very elegant blouse. Your aunt is blessed indeed. I've learned from your review even though I've made this shirt myself. Now I feel keener on making it again with refinements. One question: why cut the sleeves on the bias - just the visual effect (which is smart), or extra flexibility when moving one's arm?
AnitaJ said... (6/15/09 5:26 PM) Reply
Beautiful job on this shirt! I love the contrasting placket & collar and the bias sleeves. Lucky Aunt Anna Ruth - she'll be stylin'!! Also, thanks for this wonderfully helpful review! I'm about to make my 1st shirt with placket and I'll definitely be referring back to this review!
RLL said... (6/15/09 3:52 PM) Reply
This outfit looks great! Very classy. My guess is that it will fit perfectly and she will absolutely love it. I know you spent a lot of time on this outfit, but I think you put as much time into the review, it is equally as great.
Meggie LuLu said... (6/15/09 2:54 PM) Reply
Oh WOW!! The jacket and pants look FANTABULOUS (there's a new word for ya)!! Anna Ruth is going to LOVE this!! I'm SO proud of you for your NEW math skills!! LOL!! Your addition is TOP NOTCH!! LOL!!
Karendee said... (6/15/09 2:37 PM) Reply
Annette, I just love your review; I always chuckle all the way through one. And the amazing thing is, I learn so much, too. I love your specific directions for the front band; that one is a keeper. It's amazing how well you write a review, especially after a 24 hr. sewing marathon. Folks, she sewed all night long on this outfit; amazing job. Anna Ruth will definitely adore this outfit; if she doesn't, could you let out all of those French Seams for me?
Obrooks770 said... (6/15/09 1:23 PM) Reply
Oh, I love you shirt & pants. You did an awesome job rsharing the details. They look so nice together. Beautiful outfit!
DaisyEsq said... (6/15/09 1:21 PM) Reply
I'm sure your Aunt will love the beautiful outfit you made her. Thank you for a thorough review.
sewbehind said... (6/15/09 11:56 AM) Reply
Just beautiful! Wonderful details, Annette.
KathySews said... (6/15/09 11:38 AM) Reply
Annette - you are the best. Nothing I can add to these comments but thanks for the tip of bias sleeves. That just looks fab
Grammy Gin said... (6/15/09 10:31 AM) Reply
Very nice outfit for Aunt Anna Ruth. I love the bias cut sleeves. They look really sharp!! Wondeful review, as usual! Very nice of Mom to give you that gift certificate for a roll of die for! Thanks for all the links to the fabric places. You must know all the good sites...Ha! ;-) I bet you are anxious for Aunt Anna Ruth to see her new duds....she will look great in them. You are a WONDERFUL LOVING!!!
Sigrid. said... (6/15/09 10:21 AM) Reply
Double comment.
Sigrid. said... (6/15/09 10:16 AM) Reply
Wow Annette, impeccable as always. Enjoyed reading and viewing the pictures. Love the total, but am especially taken by the buttons. So lovely.
Sherril Miller said... (6/15/09 9:22 AM) Reply
The fabric really suits this pattern. If I didn't already have a TNT blouse pattern, your review would have convinced me to make this one. What a wonderful niece you are.
Catbird said... (6/15/09 8:58 AM) Reply
WOW, what an outstanding review! Anyone tempted to skip through the middle part as Annette suggests is advised not to. It's amazing, inspiring and FUNNY! This shirt and the white linen pants are fantastic, and your workmanship is superb (as always!). I love those bias sleeves and the contrasting placket and collar. Love those slits at the hem, too, as my favorite pair of white linen pants have. The whole outfit will let your Aunt Anna Ruth galavant around Galveston in crisp, chic summer style. You are an inspiration in every way.
carolynw said... (6/15/09 8:52 AM) Reply
How beautiful Annette - I just love what you have done with the shirt and the best part for me - I took this pattern out ysterday to start work on - your excellent review will certainly help. Anna Ruth is one lucky lady - she will look so fashionable in this outfit.
Ronda Rae said... (6/15/09 8:44 AM) Reply
You are so awesome!! This outfit is perfect and your aunt will absolutely love it. It says summer!! Your review is great. I love all the details and pics. It is so helpful for those of us who struggle with collar stands.
Sweetiebop said... (6/15/09 8:14 AM) Reply
Ok eager beaver you have made another great item and written a very informative review. Bought the pattern last week glad you reviewed first though. Thanks.
Peggy L said... (6/15/09 8:12 AM) Reply
Great review! Thanks for all the details. Your aunt is going to be thrilled with this outfit. She'll love having pants that fit so well.
Debbie Cook said... (6/15/09 7:39 AM) Reply
Wonderful classic and classy outfit, Annette. She'll look like a million bucks! Great detailed review.
Lynnelle said... (6/15/09 7:11 AM) Reply
Yowza! What a great review. There is so much information and detail. Great shirt!
Nancy Rhodes said... (6/15/09 7:08 AM) Reply
Wonderfully detailed review... I enjoy the nitty gritty details... Thanks! AND the outcome is so pro- polished look, good design elements, the bias sleeves really standout. I am sure your Aunt Anna Ruth will be thrilled.
Karla Kizer said... (6/15/09 6:39 AM) Reply
What an enjoyable review. Excellent. The shirt is beautiful and you've sold another pattern. McCall's thanks you.
BillieJean said... (6/15/09 6:06 AM) Reply
This shirt is the most elegant thing I've seen in a long time. I just love it!
CynthiaSue said... (6/15/09 2:02 AM) Reply
very tailored shirt Annette! now i can also go to bed feeling like a miserable niece after the heroics you did for your aunt. And on a lighter note, i want a vintage vogue poster for my room!!
ThePolyParrot said... (6/15/09 0:32 AM) Reply
Very, very nice - I so appreciate your photo-explanations and your instructions - just fabulous! :)
Em's Summer said... (6/14/09 11:38 PM) Reply
This is beautiful! I love all of your extra little touches! Your Aunt is going to be soo happy with this! You are very kind and you did a great job on this!
Christas said... (6/14/09 11:36 PM) Reply
Not only do you show pretty clothes you have made for your Aunt Anna Ruth, but you tell HOW to do it! Your tutorials are WONDERFUL! Also, your compassion for your aunt is such a blessing to her and to all of us. Okay, back to the blouse and pants! I LOVE the blouse you have designed. The bias cut sleeves are a very nice detail, as are the contrasting placket, collar, and collar band. The collar band is very professional looking ..... well, the WHOLE outfit is really! Your Anna Ruth is going to love her specially designed pants and blouse. She will be totally stylin' in her "Annette-Made Orignals"!!!

BurdaStyle Magazine 11-2013-112