Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2157 (Givenchy Dress with uneven hem)

Reviewed by:KathleenS

About KathleenSstarstar
NA AUSTRALIA
Member since: 11/18/02
Posted on:12/30/03 7:30 AM

TJay said... (6/21/06 6:23 PM) Reply
Hello there, you have pretty much explained all I wanted to know about this dress. I made a rough 'copy' of this dress, just for practice, I did notice a few areas where the dress was loose. I am a size 14 top but a size 12 bottom, how would I taper these to fit? It is now obvious that my sewing techniques are from experience not from reading too many books. Apart from that, the dresss you have made looks absolutely delightful, I almost want to say it is much better than shown in the picture, the texture of the fabric you used seems to me to complement the dress a lot more. Simply beautiful, and great idea for changing the neckline, it makes the dress a little less 'showy' and makes it more suitable for a larger range of occasions. Thank you!
KathleenS said... (1/21/05 5:09 AM) Reply
Åsa,my outer fabric was chiffon, so if I had joined the lining and fabric along the neckline edge RS together, the seam allowances would have shown through the fabric. I think if my fabric hadn't been transparent I would prefer the "RS together and stitch" solution. I think that if someone is standing just behind me looking into the cowl/down my back the lining shows sometimes but not always. The lining never flips to the outside so wouldn't show to someone standing at a distance. I think I would prefer a self-lining for the whole dress - if possible - rather than facings for just the cowls. I've sent you a more detailed answer in a PM.
Asa Hagstrom said... (1/21/05 1:25 AM) Reply
Kathleen, your dress is beautiful! As you know, I'm working on it myself, and I'm curious about your lining - you say you attached the dress and lining along the upper edge, then rolled the neckilne hem. Why did you roll the hem? Wasn't attaching the two layers RS together a good solution? Also, did your lining fabric show in the back cowl? I'm thinking about self-lining the inside of the cowls, just in case.
Annette H said... (3/19/04 9:19 AM) Reply
Looked through your gallery and am speechless - your skills are great. High fashion, meticulous workmanship. Wow.
Debbie Spriggs said... (1/1/04 8:51 AM) Reply
The fabric you chose looks just wonderful with this pattern, and this dress looks lovely on you.
AnneM said... (12/31/03 6:39 AM) Reply
I like your lining treatment. I can tell you don't live anywhere near where I live! (You would freeze in that dress around here right now.)
kathi s said... (12/30/03 11:15 PM) Reply
Oh my gosh, I was just reviewing my comment in my head, and I suddenly realized how it must have sounded! I meant a large bosom. Red face!
kathi s said... (12/30/03 10:47 PM) Reply
Wow! Beautiful job. I think your neckline improves the design which could be kind of fussy looking on anyone with a real bosom.
KathleenS said... (12/30/03 7:30 PM) Reply
mudcat, the original neckline has a slight cowl drape, whereas mine is flat against the chest. The original as a result is rather lower as well (eek).
mudcat said... (12/30/03 7:07 PM) Reply
Lovely dress, Kathleen. I must be blind though because I can't see the differences in the necklines (my monitor reads dark though so I may be missing the detail).
KathleenS said... (12/30/03 5:28 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you like it. Debe, I look forward to seeing the dress you made. (and Gorgeous Things thanks for your advice about this dress - some time ago!)
SouthernStitch said... (12/30/03 11:42 AM) Reply
Great fit, great fabric, great dress!!
jlg said... (12/30/03 11:00 AM) Reply
Very, very pretty dress that looks fantastic on you.
Sew it seams said... (12/30/03 9:32 AM) Reply
Kathleen, I just finished this dress for a bridesmaid for a wedding on Jan 3rd. This was one of four different dresses, but all with the same fabric. (Each girl chose her own dress style). Your sollution to the side drape of the lining is great. I wish I had thought of that! The fabric used for all of my dresses is not quite as drapy as your chiffon. Your dress looks lovely. I did the same thing with attaching the shoulder straps to both pieces as you did. I'll review mine as soon as I have time. Thanks for your review.
Leslie in Austin said... (12/30/03 8:32 AM) Reply
So feminine and lovely!
cindyann said... (12/30/03 8:16 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress. Looks great!
GorgeousFabrics said... (12/30/03 8:07 AM) Reply