Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5396 (Unlined jacket)

Reviewed by:OP Gal

Other Projects by OP Gal using this Pattern

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

Debbie Cook said... (8/15/09 9:04 AM) Reply
How did I miss this? I only saw it "pop up" in the sidebar rotation today and clicked on it. Great jacket! Fantastic color on you! I love everything about this and may have to order it even at OOP prices.
Aunt Gail said... (7/28/09 11:48 PM) Reply
You write such great reviews - and I think we share the same body type so your experience counts DOUBLE wonderful. I only wish you would include some extra pix of the patter alterations you do.
Aunt Gail said... (7/28/09 11:48 PM) Reply
okie2thdoc said... (6/25/09 8:59 PM) Reply
I saw this jacket close-up and loved it. The color looks fab on you too!
OP Gal said... (6/25/09 6:19 AM) Reply
mssewcrazy--No, I sewed the elastic to produce the gathers and topstitched the tab over the zig zagging. I'm an apple, too, and I think this works for me.
mssewcrazy said... (6/24/09 10:18 AM) Reply
Did you eliminate the elastic and use the topstitched tab to hold conventional gathers ? Thank you for showing and explaining your work with this pattern. I have become a Palmer Pletsch fan lately from watching their dvds and was really taken with the style of this pattern. I could not do gathers all around a jacket being an apple- think this in the back would work for me, maybe.
OP Gal said... (6/23/09 7:00 PM) Reply
Okay, here's the answer to the questions about sewing down the back tab. The gathering consists of zig zagging over three rows of elastic between the princess seams. I noticed that if you moved, the tab could bend and reveal the rows of zig zagging which I didn't think was a good look. So, I just top stitched the tab to the jacket.
mssewcrazy said... (6/23/09 10:46 AM) Reply
Don't chunk that pattern yet. Yesterday well heeled daughter had on a soft khaki jacket that was almost identical to this one worn with jeans, heels and a fabulous handbag. I was so taken with it that I came for another look at yours and bought the oop pattern on ebay just now. I just thought that back jacket detail was so trendy that I will do my own version age appropriate version this fall with (low heels of course as I have to be able to walk.) Nice jacket you have sewn. If you have any pointers on the back belt please add them. My daughter's jacket was top stitched down.
Raye Ann said... (6/22/09 11:47 PM) Reply
this looks great on you! really nice jacket. thanks for all the fitting info.
carolynw said... (6/22/09 2:42 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket - love the colour and agree it's too bad it's OOP - could use anice jacket pattern like this
Rustybobn said... (6/22/09 10:12 AM) Reply
I like that one a lot. It appears that you stitched the tab down, rather than allowing it to float over the elastic gathers as in the pattern. How did you do that?
Peggy L said... (6/22/09 7:48 AM) Reply
Great color for you. The jacket looks great.
Rebecca D said... (6/22/09 6:51 AM) Reply
I love this color on you and the jacket look great.
marjenann said... (6/22/09 6:20 AM) Reply
Wow!!! Your jacket is just my style! Love the color, fabric and style! A definite winner!
renren said... (6/22/09 0:32 AM) Reply
Very nice and thanks for all the info. You look lovely in this jacket and I'll bet you brighten up whatever corner of the world you wear this jacket. So cheerful.
Nancywin said... (6/21/09 11:33 PM) Reply
Very pretty spring colored jacket. I really like the PP patterns because you get the right order of all the alterations so that they work out right.
Christas said... (6/21/09 11:01 PM) Reply
This is SO cute! I love the pretty green fabric ...... looks great on you.
pterion said... (6/21/09 10:48 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket - you look radiant in it!

by: Passion4Se...