Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2971 (MISSES' TOP AND SKIRT)

Reviewed by:Auntie Allyn

About Auntie Allynstar
VA USA
Member since: 3/18/08
Posted on:6/29/09 10:11 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Skirts
Bonnie123 said... (11/18/11 4:16 PM) Reply
True art! I love this pattern. One day I will get up the nerves to sew it.
ConnieBJ said... (6/23/10 2:34 PM) Reply
Why am I not surprised that you made this great outfit?! It is on the tiop of my to do pile- thanks for the wonderful review!
PJDiddy said... (5/18/10 4:29 PM) Reply
Thank you for your instructions. I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to add the pocket piece to the lower front/back and it's like reading Greek. I'm going back to the skirt now (after 2 days of reading and pinning with renewed enthusiasm. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Oh, and I love the way your skirt came out.... just like the pattern picture. Hope you enjoyed Versailles.
gotasew said... (10/8/09 9:16 PM) Reply
Nice job! I have made this pattern - the top twice and the skirt once, however I love it. People stop me in the street when I wear the skirt and ask where I bought it. I have plans to make the skirt in different brown type fabrics. Your review - though I read it after making the pattern was helpful and on the mark. Thankyou
ruby said... (7/20/09 12:21 PM) Reply
I think this looks wonderful. I'm working on the kaftan (1106) and loving the play of fabrics and the architecture. Reading your description and seeing the picture, I will definitely be getting and making this pattern!
Ann Smith said... (7/17/09 11:33 AM) Reply
I so love your version of this. I've wanted to make it for a long time but I'm so short. You inspire me.
zigzag74 said... (7/10/09 8:59 PM) Reply
thank you so much for your kind suggestions. i have been reading and re-reading the instructions so much that my family thinks i read with my lips moving....your tip sent me back to step 19 and i just realized that i sewed the TWO pockets together in step 19 so now i have to decide whether to rip it apart or just eliminate the pockets which, you're right, are pretty low (excuses, excuses). I hope you Pirouette in Paris in your skirt and know that you saved the sanity of at least one home sewist this year. good deed and very much appreciated by an over ambitious fan of Koos.
Auntie Allyn said... (7/10/09 8:15 AM) Reply
One last thought about the pockets -- you could leave them off altogether! Eliminating them will not change the finished look of the garment. Also, these pockets are VERY LOW on the garment, not very functional. I'd leave the pockets off in a heartbeat if I couldn't figure them out (I've eliminated welt pockets from several garments for the same reason).
Auntie Allyn said... (7/9/09 5:09 PM) Reply
Zigzag, you don't have to "open up" the top of the pocket. This step isn't as hard as you think. In step 19, you put one of the pocket pieces together with the upper side piece #11, right sides together, and sew the pocket to the side piece between the large circles. Then you clip to the large circles and turn the pocket piece to the wrong side of the upper side piece #11. Then, you take the remaining pocket piece and place it on the pocket piece that's sewn to the upper side; you sew the two pocket pieces together (right sides together), avoiding sewing through the upper side piece. This gives you a pocket sack that's sewn to the upper side piece. Then you sew three sides of the upper side piece #11 (the piece with the pocket sack) to the big piece #12 (this was the tricky part to figure out). When you finally sew the top of the upper side/pocket, you make sure that you don't catch the finished edge of the upper side/pocket piece in the stitching. Hope this helps you! Carry on with this project . . . you CAN do it
zigzag74 said... (7/8/09 10:36 PM) Reply
p.s. appreciate the note on the zipper. i'm going to forgo that and just head straight for the elastic.
zigzag74 said... (7/8/09 10:32 PM) Reply
I am making this skirt now and cannot for the life of me figure out how to attach piece no. 12 so your description is very helpful. I also would like to ask you about the pocket...is there something missing in the instructions? i haven't sewn it yet, out of fear of doing something irretrievably wrong, but it seems that there are no instructions on cutting open the top to create an opening for the hand to slide in. But I'm envious and filled with admiration at your gorgeous creation and have gotten renewed courage to go back to the pieces on the table!
magoe6217 said... (7/6/09 5:15 PM) Reply
This outfit is so wonderful on you. You are a true artist. I love it but I am 5'2" and shrinking-would love to try it but am afraid it would be a disaster on me after investing weeks of work. True??
narcissaqtpie said... (7/2/09 9:59 AM) Reply
your whole look is beautiful! thanks for the construction tips.
zazzie said... (6/30/09 5:40 PM) Reply
I am very surprised, as the pattern was definitely not my style and thought no one could pull it off; but I actually love this outfit on you !! You really look great in this, obviously you know what your style is. And I would not "roll eyes" on you if we had to meet for a caf´┐Ż anywhere in France !
Em's Summer said... (6/30/09 1:31 PM) Reply
You look wonderful in this!
barbcl said... (6/30/09 9:30 AM) Reply
Really fabulous couture outfit! Have a great trip.
marjenann said... (6/30/09 8:22 AM) Reply
Exquisite outfit, absolutely breathtaking!! You look amazing!!!
Jane S said... (6/30/09 7:39 AM) Reply
You will look chic and fun loving in this great outfit. Bravo!
milo1000 said... (6/30/09 2:38 AM) Reply
What a lovely and respectful outfit to wear to Versailles. You will look spectacular!
Christas said... (6/29/09 4:09 PM) Reply
What a very unique and pretty outfit! You will look lovely during your travels!
carnelian said... (6/29/09 2:25 PM) Reply
Ah...I was thinking of Raoul Duffy and the French Riviera...you will look wonderful at Versailles. The streamers of the top fabric are a great choice.
carolynw said... (6/29/09 1:45 PM) Reply
Well for sure you will be most stylish and chique and tres au courant in this outfit - enjoy Versailles!!
Elona said... (6/29/09 12:22 PM) Reply
What a striking ensemble! With your height, it's a winner.
DorothyK said... (6/29/09 12:02 PM) Reply
I love this outfit on you. I have the pattern also, but I'm glad I didn't made it before reading your review. I'm only slightly over 5'3" so I'll have to be very careful with the length. Thanks for the review; I will refer to it while sewing this pattern... and enjoy Versailles.
sewtime said... (6/29/09 11:55 AM) Reply
Beautify done, you will have just the outfit to wear!!
Auntie Allyn said... (6/29/09 10:52 AM) Reply
I'm 5'10", so bear that in mind when looking at the skirt length on me. I think the easiest way to shorten this skirt would be to trim an equal amount from the bottom of pattern pieces #6 (front) and 12 (lower front and back). You might want to also shorten the applique section a bit.
Clareew said... (6/29/09 10:34 AM) Reply
Love your outfit, your choice of fabrics is wonderful. I bought the fabric to make this a couple of weeks ago. Your review is very timely. I hadn't thought about the difficulties of shortening the skirt. I will have to have a thorough study.

Marfy 2264