Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 2447 (Men's Shirt, Vest, and Ties)

Reviewed by:Terri A

Last Updated:7/22/09 4:27 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Mens - Jackets
dreamdesigner said... (1/15/12 11:20 PM) Reply
WOW! What a gorgeous shirt!!!!
cleverkitty said... (2/9/11 5:17 PM) Reply
looks store bought, I said WOW when I opened up the picture, showed my husband he said the same thing! I need to improve my shirt, thanks for the review....
lynnewill said... (10/28/09 9:28 AM) Reply
I could not agree more with the previous comments. Your review is inspirational. I have been telling myself for years to make some shirts for my dh and have yet to do it. Must move it up on my "to do" list.
moushka said... (9/23/09 3:30 AM) Reply
Fabulous job on this beautiful shirt! Thanks for the tip about the needle, will file it for future reference.
kathleencramer said... (7/25/09 10:30 PM) Reply
You are my hero. That is some darn tooting-good precision sewing, girl!!
Dmd4106 said... (7/23/09 9:55 PM) Reply
Handsome shirt! Fantastic review! Glad too see you can get profession results for men's dress shirt from a pattern.
Terri A said... (7/23/09 4:09 PM) Reply
Thanks for the encouraging comments... I used 70/10 sharp needles. I really liked the way my top-stitching turned out as compared to when I have used 80/12 Top-Stitching needles. I didn't have any stash of the 70/10 TS needles or I would have tried those.
jannw said... (7/23/09 0:11 AM) Reply
Your topstitching is beautiful..what size needles did you use? Beautiful results for the entire project
SoMsGal said... (7/22/09 9:17 PM) Reply
Very professional looking results. Great job. I haven't tackled a man's shirt yet but your review makes me want to try.
carolynw said... (7/22/09 8:44 PM) Reply
Totally an absolutely awesome - I make shirts for my DH and DSs but would not want to turn out something so perfect as this as I may never get a chance to sew for myself again - Bravo - beats RTW anyday which I have found can fall apart after one or two gentle washes
Rippling Waters said... (7/22/09 8:18 PM) Reply
Absolutely amazing, to say the least!
HLT said... (7/22/09 7:19 PM) Reply
Excellent details. You should be very proud!!!
MHW said... (7/22/09 7:07 PM) Reply
I love your shirt! I've just completed a shirt too but you're braver (and a way better sewer!) than me to show close-ups. Well done on finding something for the boys. It looks perfect!
solosmocker said... (7/22/09 7:03 PM) Reply
Beautiful shirt! Your buttonhole tip is great.
KathyBKnits said... (7/22/09 6:01 PM) Reply
Great looking shirt! Looks so nice!
lucylal said... (7/22/09 5:34 PM) Reply
Your shirt looks perfect! Store bought even. Great job. I have never made one, but would like to try. I might start with one for my 3yo. Love the tip of using the blind hem foot for topstitching. Thanks!!
Terri A said... (7/18/09 7:08 PM) Reply
Thanks for the nice comments. I felt really good making something for my son to wear. Normally, I make a lot of stuff for his sister. I learned a lot about shirt making and interfacing from an interview of Pam Erny on Sew Forth Now podcast, produced by Lori V. That podcast was so great and really long and I listened to it repeatedly. Really my sewing has improved so much since I heard it, just for the fact that I learned about decent interfacing. I also learned that there is an incredible art to shirt making. People like Pam spend YEARS perfecting techniques. WOW. Speaking of which, thanks for the comment Pam. I am terrified to have you see it up close, but will post close-ups soon anyway.
shawnd said... (7/16/09 6:37 PM) Reply
Very nice shirt. I also recently picked up this pattern and glad to hear it was easy to follow. I am also glad for resource for fabrics. Great job!
RLL said... (7/15/09 12:21 PM) Reply
Good job, and so satisfying when you make something for someone else and it works out so well. I have been making my DH's dress shirts for a few years now and I love it. So does he. Believe it or not, HE actually shops for fabric now because of all the things I make him. I think I have created a monster!
emcrorie said... (7/15/09 11:55 AM) Reply
Thank you for your review. I just got this pattern to make for my husband, and was wondering if it was a good one for a "shirt novice" Can't wait to try it now!
craftygamma said... (7/15/09 7:44 AM) Reply
Good job! Thanks for the buttonhole marking tip--plan to use that someday. The other method of marking buttonholes is so tedious.
Pam~Off The Cuff~ said... (7/15/09 5:25 AM) Reply
A VERY nice looking shirt !
arianamaniacs said... (7/15/09 3:56 AM) Reply
looks great! I have been wanting to try out a men's shirt, but haven't been brave enough yet
whirrclunk said... (7/15/09 3:16 AM) Reply
Thank you for the buttonhole marking tip!
chacha45 said... (7/14/09 10:41 PM) Reply
Wow! Beautiful work!
Terri A said... (7/14/09 9:56 PM) Reply
Thank you for the supportive comments! I was so thankful nothing went dreadfully wrong! This is a great pattern!
CinLou said... (7/14/09 9:12 PM) Reply
Looks good. I just finished using this pattern to make a shirt for my Dad.
Sallygirl said... (7/14/09 7:40 PM) Reply
Your 14-year-old looks like a grown man! The shirt is perfect! I haven't made a men's dress shirt in eons, but I do remember it involves a lot of details. Great job!
sewtime said... (7/14/09 7:21 PM) Reply
Nice looking shirt!
Christas said... (7/14/09 7:12 PM) Reply
From what I can see, this looks very nice. I love the color of the shirt very much!

Kwik Sew 1635