Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8538 (MISSES' JACKET)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:7/18/09 5:09 PM
Last Updated:9/6/10 8:43 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 24 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Vesta Patterns

Sewing Patterns: Upcycling

sfshaza said... (11/27/10 2:12 PM) Reply
Whenever a garment is added to an existing review, I tend to miss it, but I just specifically looked up this pattern. Wow, what a nice thing you did for Leslie! I would have been very scared to cut into that fabric, even at $175 per yard. It came out great, of course, and that button is stunning - perfection.
Jane S said... (9/9/10 7:39 AM) Reply
What a fabulous jacket and you are such a wonderful friend to make this one. I have yet to try a MT pattern but you are inspiring me.
Barbara V said... (9/7/10 7:11 PM) Reply
Did you have a glass of wine before proceeding? You are brave! Marvelous looks great on Leslie. Lovely work!
kkkkaty said... (9/7/10 12:44 PM) Reply
Vogue should be using your versions to illustrate the pattern, so much more appealing looking than the one they did use. Beautiful!
AuntieShel said... (9/7/10 11:42 AM) Reply
Love both of these jackets, will have to take another look at this pattern.
annie11 said... (9/7/10 10:11 AM) Reply
Love both of your jackets. I would also have been scared to cut such an expensive fabric. What a great friend you are!
FreyaStark said... (9/7/10 3:56 AM) Reply
Two very stylish and distinctive jackets - well done!
CynthiaSue said... (9/7/10 1:26 AM) Reply
what a lucky friend. thanks for the very helpful review. you guys are so stylish in your jackets.
DorothyK said... (9/6/10 10:55 PM) Reply
Leslie's jacket is spectacular. I don't know how you had the nerve to cut into that fabric, but the jacket obviously was a success. I see that I commented on your original jacket - then I forgot about it. I'm going to have to put it on my to do list again.
Barbara V said... (8/5/09 10:13 AM) Reply
What a smart looking jacket. Use of metallic coated linen with free-motion metallic thread topstitiching puts this jacket right up over the top!
Catbird said... (7/19/09 5:02 PM) Reply
I really like this and do love those pockets! The topstitching looks beautiful and was a brilliant choice even though it was such a pain!
snaffles said... (7/19/09 2:38 PM) Reply
Beautiful...a really terrific fabric choice. Thanks for the sizing info...I always have trouble picking the Marcy Tilton ones.
DorothyK said... (7/19/09 10:15 AM) Reply
Wow! That's one sharp jacket. You look spectacular. I love all the details of the pattern, and the additional touch of the metallic thread. Isn't there something that would make it easier to use, like a special needle or something like that? I wouldn't have considered making that jacket before, but after seeing yours, I would. It looks much better on you than on the model.
carolynw said... (7/19/09 8:54 AM) Reply
Another winner Ann - you sure have been busy - and everything you have sewn is just lovely - what a wonderful closet you must have!!
Fran G said... (7/19/09 7:40 AM) Reply
I just added this pattern to my list of "must buys" and what pattern do I see just above it on my list ...another Vogue interpreted by Ann Smith! You are the Queen of "Match the Pattern to the Fabric to You!!" I have not always found MT patterns to be successful for me..much has to do with their sizing which really runs large. But I have a similar fabric to what you used and I am going to proudly imitate you. It will be my Ann Smith jacket. Thanks so much for the review!
ITAdmin said... (7/19/09 6:54 AM) Reply
Great detailing on this! I love the style in that fabric; outstanding.
Nancywin said... (7/19/09 0:19 AM) Reply
Beautifully Done, Anne. This suits you perfectly. You have really been making some nice things lately - well, as always
Nancy K said... (7/18/09 10:25 PM) Reply
This is you. I love the coated metallic fabrics, but topstitching, which I am anal about anyway, with metallic thread, thank you, no. Great jacket.
Aixoise said... (7/18/09 9:58 PM) Reply
You are such a pretty woman, and so stylish. This jacket makes you glow. Beautiful construction and embellishment.
Annette1 said... (7/18/09 9:44 PM) Reply
I feel your pain as far as the metallic thread goes, but the END RESULT really was WORTH it. It makes this jacket truly one of a kind. Nice to know, too, that it's THAT oversized, because yours looks perfect just the way it is.
Harriet Rogers said... (7/18/09 8:28 PM) Reply
Anne, I'm so glad you made this pattern up. I had forgotten about it. About 3 months ago, I made it in a muslin, and it was unwearable because it was so large, but I loved the style and went out and re-bought the pattern in the smaller sizes. Then, as I said, promptly forgot about it. Thanks to you, it's going to be Numeral Uno on my Fall jacket list. Your white jacket is fabulous looking--no surprise coming from your talented hands!
Grammy Gin said... (7/18/09 7:07 PM) Reply
No wonder this seemed like "neon" fabric to me. That's what I get for looking at all the pics before I read the review! Do you use titanium needles to sew metallic thread? This is really a fabulous jacket with a wonderful fit!
marec said... (7/18/09 6:21 PM) Reply
Ann, not only have you been sewing up a storm, but everything is lovely, especially this jacket. I admired the metallic free motion stitching and want to copy this technique in a fall jacket but will keep your caution in mind. The winter white is very pretty against your coloring.
mollyshark said... (7/18/09 5:23 PM) Reply
I love that style also. The only way I can cope with metal thread is to capture it in a net on the floor so it has a long way to straighten out before it curves around the machine. Thanks for the size warning. Marcy always runs enormous, doesn't she.

The Technique of Underlining Garments