Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8539 (MISSES' JACKET)

Reviewed by:KarmenG

About KarmenGstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 1/3/03
Posted on:7/19/09 12:34 PM
Last Updated:7/19/09 12:46 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 28 people
See other patterns in this category: Outerwear
whistlin dixie said... (12/7/11 6:02 PM) Reply
Looking at coat patterns, came across your review. What a great job you did on this. I love the buttonhole seam you added; great idea! Love those Diego buttons, too. I wish I had set some aside for myself before they sold out! Thanks for the inspiration!
Manalto said... (11/26/11 4:01 PM) Reply
Great job - all your alterations were thoughtful improvements.
MidnightBleu said... (6/18/11 10:14 AM) Reply
Saw your review for this coat. Your coat convinced me to try the pattern. Found your review really helpful, especially about the amount of ease. Congrats on the LA Fair win--no small accomplishment. And your pictures here (and on flickr are really helpful. Great job--love the color.
MareeAlison said... (4/16/11 10:43 PM) Reply
Fantastic review - you should win an award for this too. I love your coat - it looks fantastic.
LBH said... (2/25/10 6:43 PM) Reply
Very helpful review - esp alert re collar height, I know this will be an issue for me. Your work is beautiful. I especially love the buttonhole treatment. Congrats on your well deserved prize!
Pokerbelle said... (2/21/10 1:20 AM) Reply
I also made this jacket this winter in boiled wool--short version with funky square buttons. Turned out fabulous and I get many compliments. I did make it in a size smaller to get a slightly more 'fitted' look than in the picture but still true to design. Lined it fully but woulkd have appreciated a clearer 'how-to' for doing this. A keeper. Kathy L. 2/20/10 Canada
AnneM said... (9/6/09 8:01 PM) Reply
Great job, and congratulations. Love the color.
Tall Mary said... (9/6/09 3:26 PM) Reply
You and your coat won at the LA fair. Yea!
CarolynGM said... (9/6/09 1:19 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat and a very helpful review -- I really like the changes you made for the buttonholes. Congratulations on your big win at the LA County Fair.
Kay Y said... (9/5/09 7:52 PM) Reply
Hey, FIRST PRIZE at the LA County Fair!!! That's good! Nice jacket :)
ShastaKatt said... (7/26/09 6:39 PM) Reply
A fantastic coat; you will get plenty of wear out of it, even in sunny CA. I know, lived there a few years. Keep us informed about the judging; I'd give it a blue ribbon!!!
katie lynne said... (7/21/09 7:48 PM) Reply
Wow! What a great carcoat. (do they still use that term, I'm a child of the 50s :-)) Your inventive buttonholes are such a brilliant solution. Thanks for so much front end information--start to finish, and pics of the inside. I'm learning a lot.
SueV said... (7/21/09 1:20 PM) Reply
really nice!
Woolygal said... (7/20/09 9:18 AM) Reply
This is a perfect "grab and go" coat. Looks great.
calypso said... (7/20/09 8:51 AM) Reply
Lois- Beautiful coat and your detail work is impeccable - as usual. Great job!!
KarmenG said... (7/20/09 0:44 AM) Reply
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. Yes Apple Annie - I did test several interfacings prior to selecting mine. My favorites for lighter or firmer support weren't right. The Flex Weave was a good mid-range support which adhered to my fabric very well.
apple annie said... (7/19/09 9:35 PM) Reply
Great looking coat Lois, and I too hope you win a prize for this beauty. Loved your choice for the Hong Kong finish and I too would choose to skip the back neck facing in a coat---too much bulk for my liking. Did you experiment with various interfacings before making your choice?
carolynw said... (7/19/09 6:49 PM) Reply
WOW!! This is ashow stopper for sure - great techniques make this a real stand out. Very helpful review
Karendee said... (7/19/09 6:24 PM) Reply
Marvelous coat and review. The coat, style, color, workmanship, and fabric all are wonderful. Great job!!
moonchild61 said... (7/19/09 6:04 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat; Great Job!
khunter said... (7/19/09 4:33 PM) Reply
You gotta love a red coat!. Love the details especially the buttonholes. Great job.
Annette1 said... (7/19/09 4:17 PM) Reply
I've been curious about how this coat would make up, and yours has made up WONDERFULLY. I really enjoyed all the pictures of the INSIDE, just as much as the outside. You've finished it beautifully. GREAT idea, too, with the in-seam buttonholes. I hope I remember that next time I'm working with a bulky fabric. :o)
Riesie said... (7/19/09 3:29 PM) Reply
Wonderful coat, and my favorite color! I loved the buttonhole technique you used, very clever. I will keep my fingers crossed that you win a ribbon at the fair.
Patti B said... (7/19/09 2:23 PM) Reply
Just lovely! Your custom touches make this very special. As usual, your techniques are perfect. If you think it's too large for you, I'll be glad to take it off your hands! hee hee
Ann Smith said... (7/19/09 2:17 PM) Reply
How beautiful your jacket is! Such perfect construction. The judges should be impressed. I especially like the buttonhole technique in this design. And the color.
marjenann said... (7/19/09 1:36 PM) Reply
Dazzling, show stopper coat!! Impeccable finishing! Couldn't be better! And you look fantastic!!!
Nata said... (7/19/09 12:41 PM) Reply
Lois, I absolutely love the polka dot binding. I hope you win the fair :)

by: sewnaomi