Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Silhouette Patterns> 500 (Pleated Top/ Tank top)

Reviewed by:Lori V

About Lori Vstarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/20/02
Posted on:4/20/02 2:47 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 2 people

Home Sewing Depot

Home Dec Sewing Supplies

said... (6/29/02 11:32 PM) Reply
I just finished this tank and it fits great. I used the "C" cup and it was perfect. No gaposis at the neck or arms. I finished the edges by turning under and stitching with a double needle. This is a great pattern that I will use again for tanks to wear under jackets or shirts. I am 50+ so a tank without something over it is not a pretty site!!!
said... (4/23/02 1:40 PM) Reply
I forgot to say that the edge must be stretched as you stich the letuce edge. Claire Shaeffer has a discussion of this in her Sewing SHortcuts book. She recommends knits with 50% stretch or more.
said... (4/23/02 12:29 PM) Reply
Deepika, the lettuce effect does not work for all knits. It is best on a thin jersey type. This is the sort of knit that has a lot of curl at the edge. Doubleknits and interlocks are often too stable for this treatment. Also, textured and synthetic blend knit may not work . I have had the best results with a zigzag stitch rather than satin stitch.
said... (4/22/02 1:26 AM) Reply
oops, the second link was one to Elizabeth Lee site - I pasted the same one twice
said... (4/22/02 1:25 AM) Reply
Deepika try this http://www.nancysnotions.com/nancys/assets/html/edges.asp or http://www.nancysnotions.com/nancys/assets/html/edges.asp I went to google and did a search - there are several more
said... (4/21/02 9:07 PM) Reply
I talked to Peggy Sagers in the expo yesterday and she said that you can use any knit to make it and since I dont have a serger, she said I could use a satin stich to get the lettuce hem effect. I picked up a knit scrap and tried the satin stich (width 6.5 length .5 tension 2) it still did not work. Can anyone help me with it?
said... (4/21/02 6:31 PM) Reply
There is a place in NYC that will pleat fabric - very reasonably I'm told.
said... (4/21/02 0:55 AM) Reply
Deepika, I have not made the pleated top. It has to be made in that specific pleated fabric. I saw garments made up in it, very nice. That fabric is just hard to find around my part of the country
said... (4/20/02 10:58 PM) Reply
I just bought this pattern today at the expo. Did you make the pleated top yet? can it be made in any knit?
said... (4/20/02 4:32 PM) Reply
Cassandra - very easy instructions and not much to making this top. Most time consuming would be the binding
said... (4/20/02 1:13 PM) Reply
Lori, this tank looks very nice. I could see having a whole closet full of these for summer!
said... (4/20/02 12:13 PM) Reply
How were the written instructions? Clear and easy to understand?
said... (4/20/02 10:21 AM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing this - very cute top!

Truly Victorian TV442