Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 08-2009-113 (Knit Dress)

Reviewed by:cabinbaby

About cabinbabystarstarstarstar
AK USA
Member since: 4/8/07
Posted on:8/2/09 7:00 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 17 people

Sici said... (8/22/09 3:45 PM) Reply
Thanks for your review. I bought non-strech velvet for this. My first time dealing with this fabric - Such a pain starting from tracing the pattern on it. It's so slippery that the pattern lines just kept on 'moving' around. I just finished cutting after 3 days hard work. When I place the paper pattern on the fabric pieces, the lines never match! Gave up on this - so i'll just continue to sew it. Looking at your tips and hopefully I can finish it.
BeeBeeSew said... (8/11/09 8:26 PM) Reply
oops, duplicated post.
BeeBeeSew said... (8/11/09 8:06 PM) Reply
Okay, I kind of like the "muffin top" on this style, it adds to the casual-ness of the dress. Did you do the zipper? Was it necessary and the whole 16" of it? Or would a 7-9" do ok?
Danvillegirl said... (8/8/09 8:02 AM) Reply
Wow, thank you for pointing me to the crush velvet video. I love this dress on you. Actually you have made the dress pattern more appealing than it was just looking at it on the model and the drawing.
eugenia123 said... (8/5/09 6:18 AM) Reply
I loved this style when I saw it in the magazine and your version is really inspiring - it looks fabulous. Thanks for great review.
Barbara V said... (8/4/09 9:55 PM) Reply
Your stretch velvet dress is gorgeous. Looks like a wonderful pattern as well even though the directions are confusing.
wzrdreams said... (8/4/09 2:12 PM) Reply
OOOOOh! I just bought some gorgeous silk crushed velvet for another dress pattern, but now I might have to trace this one also. Thanks for making my decision so hard! :)
mylittleelephant said... (8/4/09 7:36 AM) Reply
Gorgeous, I can't wait to make it after seeing your photo, so effortlessly chic.
nellc said... (8/3/09 3:45 PM) Reply
Love this dress, please don't alter the blousing on the bodice, it's a great look on your slender figure.
Eme said... (8/3/09 11:08 AM) Reply
I love the blouson style of the bodice! I think you're probably just not used to this silhouette, but as you're fit and thin, it's very flattering on you (and clearly NOT muffin top! LOL)
Heidi Ho said... (8/3/09 10:55 AM) Reply
Cute dress! I overlooked this one but think it is very cute after seeing yours.
crisford said... (8/3/09 10:45 AM) Reply
Lovely, and rich! I love the creases in the velvet; they add lots of detail. This looks awesome one you!
Jane S said... (8/3/09 7:37 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress that looks wonderful on you.
Elke said... (8/3/09 7:25 AM) Reply
I like the style of this dress and it looks lovely on you!
trinicity said... (8/3/09 6:49 AM) Reply
its a classic piece and it looks stunning, thanks for sharing the review
kerrynw said... (8/3/09 2:44 AM) Reply
Cute dress, can't wait for August BWOF to arrive.
Athene said... (8/3/09 0:58 AM) Reply
A very pretty dress and you look fabulous in it. I really like the style of the dress on you - I hope you don't modify it - a very hot look in a sophisticated way.
Raye Ann said... (8/2/09 9:37 PM) Reply
this is VERY pretty. i am sure, given the fabric, that is it very comfy as well. love the distressing tips! i have some dark green stretch velvet that looked so beautiful in the store, but now looks so plain... I will definately crush it:)
persevering said... (8/2/09 9:35 PM) Reply
What a sophisticated lovely dress! And it suits you so well. Thanks for your detailed information on this review.
Jali said... (8/2/09 7:31 PM) Reply
This is really, really lovely! The fabric you used is just perfect for the dress. You look great!
Karen6790 said... (8/2/09 7:25 PM) Reply
What do you do, hypnotize the kids so you can sew? Great dress, and I love your DIY velvet-distressing.
crazygrad said... (8/2/09 7:10 PM) Reply
Ooh la la! Very pretty!
dbsewer said... (8/2/09 7:07 PM) Reply
love, love, love this dress and the fabric. This is on my list of projects from this issue, which is a real winner IMHO. Burda instructions often don't make much sense so thank you for the construction details.

by: Sheila457