Online Sewing Class: Altering Pants

Last Updated:1/21/04 10:27 PM

Boho Banjo art to wear

pdf sewing patterns

nukunukuchan said... (4/20/04 3:02 PM) Reply
If you were left with such a small gap I can totally see how that can be confusing; it took me a while to figure out that part of the pattern, I agree it needed a better picture and directions. I was left with a gap of about an 1 1/4" to 1 1/2", so mine turned out looking different than yours. I have photos of my finished haori, if you like I could email them to you :-)
sailonsilvergirl said... (3/12/04 7:17 PM) Reply
Yes, thanks, I collect antique and vintage haori so I do know about that gap under the arm. I'll have to take another look at the directions then, because what I wound up with wasn't the gap of several inches like on a haori but a 1/4" gap, like it really wasn't supposed to be that way. Although I wonder if I may have also cut the sleeves slightly narrower. I can't remember that detail, but if I did, that would account for a gap looking more like a mistake than intentional because narrowing it would have removed some of that gap. I wish for details like this, that pattern companies would show a close-up of that area. Nowhere in the pattern photos do I see what the underarm should look like. Although I also saw this as a Western modification of haori, while I think Simplicity has a haori pattern that's more true and where I would expect to see the gap.
nukunukuchan said... (3/11/04 7:22 PM) Reply
I think you misunderstood the directions for this sewing pattern. Japanese haori are meant to be a jacket worn over kimono or other clothing, and therefore have a gap under the arm for air flow. There is supposed to be that gap between the armpit and the top of the gusset. That is why they have you sew the gusset together at the top and turn it inside out-so when you sew it into the haori there is that nice finished seam! I also did this pattern with some embroidery and it turned out lovely.
Ann C said... (1/23/04 10:53 AM) Reply
How pretty!
SewingSusan said... (1/22/04 6:45 AM) Reply
Great fabric choice for your jacket. I made a kimono for a friend in October and had a similar problem with the underarm seams joining. I eventually got it to work but was not completely satisfied with the end result. The pattern in that instance was Butterick 6698. Like you, I still don't really know what the problem was.
jlg said... (1/22/04 5:08 AM) Reply
Very pretty jacket. I like your fabric.

Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS
Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS

Violette Field Threads Stella

by: busymomof3

BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2010-113

by: Nan Kay

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

PerfectFuseTailorUltra White