Pattern Description: Simplicity 4092 Misses Costumes - 18th century costumes.
Pattern Sizing: HH6-12. I made the size 12
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions for the most part were pretty straight forward, although I did get slightly confused when pleating the overskirt. The directions are not as clear as they could be.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? What I liked? The pattern was pretty straight forward. I had not ever made a fitted bodice with boning before and it was easier than I thought. The sleeves went in much better than I expected as well. What I didn't like? The zipper. I felt like it ruined the look of the costume but I understand why it is there for easy on easy off. I decided to go ahead and put in the zipper after considering other options. Next time I will probably make the closure in the front.
Fabric Used: Blue embroidered taffeta for overdress and salmon pink cotton broadcloth and taffeta for the underskirt. The cotton for the back of the underskirt made it a lot cooler and lighter weight. I used a cream embroidered taffeta for the front bodice insert to make it look like a separate stomacher. I also used an antiqued velvet trim and lace to edge the overdress that complimented the color of the embroidery.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I lengthened the bodice and did some fitting in the waist area. Instead of gathering the back of the skirt which the pattern called for, I continued the pleating of the fabric toward the back as well. I thought it would look strange if it was gathered with the sides being pleated. I also decided to use two different fabrics for the front underskirt and front bodice for contrast. I also did this so if I wanted to change the underskirt I could have a new look to the costume.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would recommend this pattern to others, although I would not necessarily recommend it to a beginner. It took me about 2 months off and on to complete it. I did cause myself undue stress since I had to be careful cutting the material as to make sure the pattern matched on the embroidery. If I have a reason to sew another 18th century dress I will definitely sew it again.
Conclusion: In conclusion, it was a good pattern and the dress turned out better than I expected and I got many compliments on it. Next time I will only use embroidered material for the underskirt to save myself some time and headaches when laying out the pattern fabric to cut. I also will probably figure out another way of closing the dress other than a zipper to make it appear a little more period. All in all it was fun to sew and I was proud of how it turned out it being my first try on a pattern like this!