Online Sewing Class: Pattern Work

Pattern Reviews> Amy Butler> AB025FB (Frenchy Bags)

Reviewed by:obsessed with sewing

Best Patterns of 2007
Posted on:8/28/09 4:47 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
obsessed with sewing said... (8/29/09 11:04 AM) Reply
sew4dasoul, I think that if you added darts to the bottom corners of the bag, you would have to alter the actual pattern first so that you wouldn't change its lines or size. I thought about adding a narrow gusset (a couple of inches at the most) that tapers to nothing as it goes up the sides of the bag (but didn't have the energy or motivation to go ahead and do it), this would give the bag some depth without changing its lines.
JDpenelope said... (8/29/09 8:50 AM) Reply
This is a great review and your bags are beauttiful. You have mastered the pattern with all of your astute tweaking. I'm still looking for my own tried and true patternmaker for bags--I wish my changes were as successful as yours. (Next, I'm going to try Nicole Mallalieu--her lined bags and zipper instructions are supposed to be very good.)
sew4dasoul said... (8/29/09 0:55 AM) Reply
Thank you for the review! I've been wondering about the lack of depth in this bag. Do you think by adding darts (or is it a gusset?) to the bottom it will change the appearance in a negative way? I've been wondering if there's a good way to add depth to the bottom of the bag.
MaryDB said... (8/28/09 11:43 PM) Reply
Definitely the nicest I've seen! It's beginning to call to me - I may have to make one. Thanks for the helpful review.
sew obsessed said... (8/28/09 11:09 PM) Reply
What a great bag! I love the fabric combo. Your review was very insightful. Thanks.
CarolynGM said... (8/28/09 6:18 PM) Reply
This is an extremely helpful review. I have recently bought this pattern and will be sure to refer to your construction techniques when I make it.
Steffie said... (8/28/09 6:04 PM) Reply
Thanks for the tips on construction techniques. Great bag. I love the fabric!

Decades of Style 2601