Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8470 (MISSES' DRESS)

Reviewed by:whirrclunk

Posted on:9/5/09 10:54 AM
Pattern Size:Petite
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 6 people

pammieh said... (9/6/09 1:40 PM) Reply
I know how you feel - I'm stuck in the same way with a "simple" vogue shift dress that just doesn't look great on my body shape - it's made me reassess my projects! I'm probably going to make the dress but with old fabric i have in the stash. Your picture looks great but I know how you feel! Thanks for the heads up!
ClaireF in CA said... (9/6/09 1:44 AM) Reply
Despite your difficulties with this pattern, the dress really does look lovely, and the fabric is very pretty!
lamstu said... (9/5/09 11:15 PM) Reply
I'm with ALY, in the thumbnail the dress looks pretty nice. Since you like the skirt, maybe you can convert the dress into a skirt with a ribbon waistband? Thanks for your honest assessment of the pattern.
sewmaris said... (9/5/09 9:25 PM) Reply
Before you pitch this dress into the garbage, consider trying it on with a "real" bra. Sports bras flatten your bustline - which is NOT the effect you usually want - especially on this kind of pretty dress. You are right about the cotton lawn fabric - it is not right for the dress - maybe silk dupioni? or taffeta? Anyway - just try it on with a good fitting bra and see if the pattern is worth a second try. Darn!
Markie1 said... (9/5/09 4:03 PM) Reply
I admire you for taking so much time both with the garment and with your review. I am still not quite convinced that this dress can't work for you but I understand the need to "keep it in motion" and move on. On quick visual analysis, I think that the bodice needed to move down from the shoulders about an inch or so. I find that if the waist is short, it hits my ribs--the widest part of my middle. You think? Anyway--thank you for the time you took--you did some beautiful sewing.
kiddo said... (9/5/09 11:50 AM) Reply
Thank you for the review. I agree with you that when one place is the intersection repeatedly it can become difficult. I love the swirl the skirt makes.
EleanorSews said... (9/5/09 11:05 AM) Reply
So sorry this did not work for you. Beautiful fabric though.
ALY said... (9/5/09 11:01 AM) Reply
Actually, before I read your review and discovered you were not happy with dress, I though it looked quite nice. Lawn fabric might have been a little light to get a snug fit in the waist without additional stiffening/interfacing. On the other hand it makes a lovely twirly skirt.

by: thepattyc