Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5102 (Retro jacket)

Reviewed by:PamJr

About PamJrstar
Member since: 10/8/02
Posted on:1/27/04 6:54 PM
Last Updated:1/27/04 6:54 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

PamJr said... (1/29/04 10:56 AM) Reply
Let us know how it works.
retiredpagirl said... (1/28/04 9:37 PM) Reply
Thanks, Pam. I think I will give it a try. Look forward to trying a new pattern company. :)
Skymom said... (1/28/04 12:50 PM) Reply
I agree with Pam. This jacket is quick and easy to sew up (but then why have I had one cut out and waiting to be sewn for nearly 9 mos? good question!). I had forgotten the issues she mentions about the somewhat vague marking, but I do recall spending more time than I had expected sorting that business out. However, now that you're forewarned, you shouldn't have any problems. I didn't do any ease stitching to set the sleeves--my fabric had a lot of give and eased nicely on its own. Once objection I have is that the jacket isn't meant to have interfacing at all, but then you might run into trouble when you do the buttons and buttonholes...and it's hard to mark their location to spot-interface until the jacket's assembled and ready to try on. So mine current version has no closures, and I wear it with a belt, which is a really good look, actually. BTW, I have narrow shoulders and even in a size smaller than I'd thought was right, I still needed to add small shoulder pads to support the shoulders. Nothing quarter-backish, just a little extra.
PamJr said... (1/27/04 10:53 PM) Reply
txgirl, I don't think it's too difficult. The jacket really goes together easily. It's just in a few spots where the pattern writer seems to think we can read her mind. It's such a nice jacket that I'd give it a try, if I were you. By reading the various reviews, you'll know what to watch out for. Go for it!
oldsewandsew said... (1/27/04 9:51 PM) Reply
Since I'm planning on tackling this jacket in the next couple of weeks, this review was very timely - thanks for the heads up advice.
retiredpagirl said... (1/27/04 9:18 PM) Reply
Love the jacket. :) Is this too difficult for an intermediate sewer like myself? I've just started sewing again after many years of "life", but find I still have a "knack" for it. Have never used this brand of pattern, but have read several favorable reviews. Would like to give it a try.