Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5815

Member since: 2/4/09
Posted on:9/7/09 6:22 PM
Last Updated:9/8/09 1:44 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 24 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Nancy Anne said... (8/21/12 4:29 PM) Reply
I am about to make this same jacket in a non-drapey fabric and was concerned about the pockets. Read your review and thought "Duh, Nancy! Just don't put them on!" :-) I think yours looks better without them, anyhow. I also appreciate the tip about tacking the bow down. We live in a windy city on the northern plains of Texas and I'm sure I'd get beat to death by the bow the first time out without it.
Nana2be said... (12/4/09 8:17 PM) Reply
Beautiful work, Elaine! It fits you like a glove. I could see where the bow would blow up and maybe cause you an injury, lol.
lynnewill said... (10/8/09 10:05 AM) Reply
Thank you for the well written review. Appreciate the detailed pattern correction, and the update. The pinstripe was an excellent choice.
cdi9c said... (9/9/09 10:58 AM) Reply
Fabulous with a capital F!
FreyaStark said... (9/9/09 6:27 AM) Reply
It's fabulous and the fabric is delicious (I love brown). Well done. Omitting the pockets was a good idea.
Christas said... (9/8/09 8:37 PM) Reply
Wonderful jacket and wonderful review! I have this pattern. I sure I will come back to this review and use your helpful information. Thanks!
CynthiaSue said... (9/8/09 1:48 PM) Reply
utterly adorable. work chic to going out fun with jeans!! love it.
Stitchcakes said... (9/8/09 11:33 AM) Reply
Yep, the pinstripes take it from dangerously twee Easter jacket to strikingly chic suit with a fantastic interplay of masculine and feminine. Love it!
Sheila457 said... (9/8/09 11:21 AM) Reply
Lovely jacket and great review.
DorothyK said... (9/8/09 10:05 AM) Reply
Fabulous! You did a great job and it looks great on you.
Kellie R. said... (9/8/09 8:54 AM) Reply
Fabulous jacket! I have this pattern and hope that when I get around to making it, it looks as good as yours!
valerie sews said... (9/8/09 8:52 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks totally couture. It fits you beautifully and suits you perfectly. Wow.
Amanda S. said... (9/8/09 8:24 AM) Reply
Love it! I must admit, I've not been a huge fan of this jacket worn as a separate. It's always looked a bit gramma-ish to me. But as a suit it's completely chic! Especially in the pinstripe. I guess I should have looked at the Nanette website - that is how they have their's styled. Anyway, superb job on both pieces.
BillieJean said... (9/8/09 6:01 AM) Reply
Really beautiful. I like this without the pockets too.
lara900 said... (9/8/09 2:14 AM) Reply
very cute jacket, and great review with lots of detailed information. I am building up strength and courage to sew my first jacket, and your jacket is very inspiring. (even if the pattern is too difficult for a beginner)
Allie in Hong Kong said... (9/8/09 1:55 AM) Reply
Gorgeous, perfect fit and fabric choice for your jacket, I love it!
erinw83 said... (9/7/09 10:53 PM) Reply
Great Job! You have such a wonderful sense of style!
rebija said... (9/7/09 10:27 PM) Reply
I saw this pattern the other day and wasn't too sure about it. You've definitely changed my mind! Beautiful job!
Carol Mendoza said... (9/7/09 9:15 PM) Reply
Fantastic Jacket. It looks wonderful on you. Great job!
Michelle L said... (9/7/09 8:59 PM) Reply
Great work! I love it in the stripe. I have made this jacket, too, and you are right...the collar pieces do go together just like a puzzle!
Erica B. said... (9/7/09 8:40 PM) Reply
I love yours in pinstripe! It looks fabulous!
Tiner W said... (9/7/09 7:54 PM) Reply
Stunning!
lilyofthevalley said... (9/7/09 7:36 PM) Reply
Very smart and elegant, and suits your trim figure just perfectly. It gives you both stature and shape. And as always, beautifully sewn. Lovely, Lily
Beek said... (9/7/09 7:32 PM) Reply
I love this style. I made a DKNY jacket pattern very similar to this one for my sister. It is a feminine take on a masculine look (jacket with lapel). Nice review, thanks!
Morisot said... (9/7/09 7:31 PM) Reply
Lovely!
Catbird said... (9/7/09 7:15 PM) Reply
Wow - so pretty! You've done a beautiful job and have made a classic jacket with flair and style. It looks fantastic on you and I hope you enjoy wearing it for years to come!
yoshimi said... (9/7/09 7:10 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket. It's very nice on you. Thanks for your great review, I have just put this in my wish list!
ClaireF in CA said... (9/7/09 7:08 PM) Reply
Beautifully made, and gorgeous on you! Thank you so much for pointing out the problems with the collar pattern pieces, as I have this pattern and will watch for that when I sew it up. Great review and pictures!
LynnRowe said... (9/7/09 6:55 PM) Reply
WOW. Elegant, tailored, fitted, fun...you've batted this one right outta the park!!!
HLT said... (9/7/09 6:42 PM) Reply
Very nice jacket! I love the finish of your collar. With the fabric, it looks very couture.
semiscot said... (9/7/09 6:34 PM) Reply
Fantastic, looks great!
Rhonda in Montreal said... (9/7/09 6:34 PM) Reply
Cute! Cute!! Cute!!! Especially in size 4, eh!! VERY nice work!!
ClaireEmily said... (9/7/09 6:28 PM) Reply
This is gorgeous!!! It fits you perfectly. Very chic!

All About Linings