Pattern Reviews> Amy Butler> AB036BI (Birdie Sling)

Reviewed by:jeanfromco

About jeanfromco
CO USA
Member since: 1/19/09
Posted on:9/13/09 2:23 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
Iggysews said... (11/26/09 3:28 PM) Reply
I really like your review! I also thought the gusset was a bit excessive and unnecessary. I have made this bag a few times and found that with the excess yardage, I can make two bags with the suggested yardage or make a cute wallet and matching headband.
Mirza said... (9/15/09 2:11 PM) Reply
I have this pattern on its way. I thought the yardage requirements were excessive. Thanks for clearing that up. Your review is very helpful.
jeanfromco said... (9/14/09 8:43 AM) Reply
Thanks for the heads up on the corrections on the web site; I think I do have the corrected pattern, but they failed to measure the band to fit the panels-at least it's an easy fix. I do like the Amy Butler style; I guess making a muslin or sample is necessary for accessories as well as apparel. But one would think that Amy Butler would test the patterns a number of times before printing!
JDpenelope said... (9/13/09 6:36 PM) Reply
Thanks for your frank review. It is very helpful to the reader to know everyone's experience with a pattern, both good and bad. It's so disappointing to find out later that the pattern is flawed and that you should have checked the web site! By the way, I really like S4391 for a computer bag -- with its clever padded insert.
SharonSews said... (9/13/09 4:43 PM) Reply
I agree that of several Amy Butler patterns I have made, she does lay out the pattern pieces in a way that calls for more fabric than necessary. I also use pattern trace to make my own pieces NOT on the fold so I can cut both sides at once. There is a correction to the band on line at the pattern web site that tells you the directions in the pattern are incorrect as to which side gets attached to the top of the bag. A few notches, dots, markings on the pattern would help alert the sewer to a problem like this! I wish she had a smaller size with this pattern also.

ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King