Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1660 OOP '60s Dress (Galitzine of Italy Dress)

Reviewed by:hilaryr

About hilaryrstar
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 10/24/08
Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner
Posted on:9/16/09 1:43 AM

Dove P. said... (10/27/09 0:11 AM) Reply
I made this dress for my mother back when it first came out. I used a silk shantung in the color shown on the pattern. It did have the sheen that you'd like to have. Now I'm thinking of making it for myself but extending the sleeves to elbow length. I have a size 14 and will have to expand it to a size 16, I think. I'll make a muslin first to see if it's going to work. It's hard to find a good-looking dress these days. This will be a "little black dress" but I hope to do it in a midnight blue.
fryman said... (9/17/09 10:35 PM) Reply
Nice job! I encourage you to make another especially since you revamped the pattern for your measurements. Great lines!
calminatrix said... (9/17/09 9:31 AM) Reply
i absolutely LOVE your dress and must tell you that i tried a reproduction retro pattern from vogue that had underarm gussets. what a struggle i had with them and then i DID go ahead and try to line the darned thing! What a mess. you did a much abetter job than i, i must admit. LOVE THE STYLE, COLOR, FABRIC, BUTTONS, everything... really great dress! BRAVA!
kellymailinglist said... (9/17/09 7:07 AM) Reply
Love it, love it, love it! It's interesting how some of these 60s styles look so simple (in a tres chic way, of course), yet are actually complex in construction.
Sew tell me said... (9/17/09 6:11 AM) Reply
This is a lovely dress. Great job!
meli88a said... (9/16/09 9:31 AM) Reply
This is seriously cute. Those dresses from the 50s and 60s are classic!
SpinningJenny said... (9/16/09 6:51 AM) Reply
This design is stunning! Love that it is so simple and so elegant. Thanks for the great review and the Buttonmania tip.
feldmanTcat said... (9/16/09 5:52 AM) Reply
This is lovely. I only sew with vintage patterns but I have not tried any of the Vogue designers yet. Thanks for posting this. I usually have to draft my patterns down as well, and even after adding tucks to the bodice pieces I still need to do more alterations. Gorgeous Dress! I love the under arm gussets and the lines of the seams.

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)