Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 5048 (Men's Pants)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:9/18/09 10:47 PM
Last Updated:9/19/09 7:28 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
katie lynne said... (1/16/10 8:39 PM) Reply
I cannot say enough how much I enjoy your reviews--and this one is simply astounding! Thank you so much for so generously sharing your sewing experiences. I'm learning a lot from you!
bigmess said... (1/12/10 6:11 AM) Reply
awesome!
Peter in NYC said... (9/22/09 11:20 AM) Reply
Thanks, guys. My motto is basically the Nike tag line: Just Do It. It's only going to get easier, right?
jilly cooper said... (9/22/09 0:30 AM) Reply
gee, you are an inspiration. I struggle to even understand zips, I haven't tackled fitting and fly front - well - not even on my radar. Your skills are awesome, great jeans.
jonnie664 said... (9/20/09 4:20 PM) Reply
AWESOME!! I'm thoroughly impressed with your work!!!
SandraB said... (9/20/09 2:31 PM) Reply
Your jeans look really good. You did a great job on them. For a beginner, you really are very brave, tackling jeans and collared shirts. I really enjoy reading your reviews.
crisford said... (9/20/09 12:22 PM) Reply
Fantastic job! Very entertaining review! Thanks for all the pictures--glad you finished the project in spite of some unexpected problems. Your jeans look fabulous!
Elke said... (9/20/09 8:13 AM) Reply
Great looking jeans...terrific fit!
BrianSews said... (9/20/09 7:50 AM) Reply
A very entertaining read! Nice review my friend. I am also glad you were able to actually wear your jeans. It's exciting to see your skills develop!
Sandi S said... (9/20/09 0:13 AM) Reply
Way to kick it up a few notches - you definitely need to level up to at least advanced beginner. These jeans turned out fantastic.
Princess Aurora said... (9/19/09 11:06 PM) Reply
What a great job! And you've only been sewing since June?! Kudos to a job well done! Good luck on the next project - can't wait to see the review for that one! (Quite jealous actually, haven't attempted menswear yet! LOL!)
Annette1 said... (9/19/09 7:43 PM) Reply
I've thoroughly enjoyed your review, and your jeans look just GREAT. As for showing off those serged seams, I don't think it's a guy thing, as I was FORCING everybody to peer at my serged seams for QUITE SOME TIME after I got the serger on eBay. NOW I'm trying to play it OH SO COOL, with barely a MENTION of the serger, but INSIDE I'm just as excited. I don't think you need to worry about crossing the street, as these look just as good from BOTH sides of the street! Great job!
ladylola said... (9/19/09 5:52 PM) Reply
Wow! First pants? First zipper? ... You are very talented!!! I actually like the back yoke, especially with the pockets on top of it, I think it's different. Great job on those jeans, they really look amazing!
Mufffet said... (9/19/09 5:18 PM) Reply
What are you thinking with BEGINNER there...well, I guess you haven't sewn long? ;) But you sure can sew! Thanks for your good complete review!
Peter in NYC said... (9/19/09 4:40 PM) Reply
LinCee, on the thickest seams I manually rotated the handwheel to make sure I had control over the stitching. Some things, like satin-stitching belt loop edges RTW-style, my machine couldn't really pull off; I have to experiment more with that. RLL, my next project is a macintosh style coat from a Burda mens pattern I just got. I have the fabric, now I just have to work up the nerve!
RLL said... (9/19/09 4:30 PM) Reply
You are so industrious to tackle jeans and all that encompasses so soon in your sewing career. And such an impressive job. Between the shirts and the jeans, you have nothing to fear, so.......what is next? Looking forward to your next wonderful creation and detailed review.
frame said... (9/19/09 3:35 PM) Reply
Wow! Great job. What a terrific fit. I'm impressed that you got a needle through all those layers, nevermind the serger. Any tips on getting through the layers when sewing on the belt loops? That's a lot of fabric. Anyway great job.
Peter in NYC said... (9/19/09 12:54 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for the kind comments, everybody. BTW, I am wearing the pants a lot. Another serger....so tempting. How would I explain it to my Huskylock?
2mulie said... (9/19/09 11:57 AM) Reply
Peter, do yourself a favor and check out the Brother 1034D serger on PR and now available for under 200 at walmart.com. I think you can run drywall through it, it has a nice cd on how to use it, and it isn't fussy with thread...vintage is great, but sometimes dinosaurs are better left dead.
cabinbaby said... (9/19/09 11:40 AM) Reply
Heeee heeee, your review cracks me up.
Elona said... (9/19/09 11:27 AM) Reply
Those are some FINE jeans! Terrific work. Yeah, you are definitely past the 'beginner' designation now. I love the photo record of your process, too.
katlew03 said... (9/19/09 11:08 AM) Reply
The dress definitely does not go with this project. I have had this happen when your pattern is OOP. You can copy and paste your pattern picture into the space or get the URL by using Google and pasting in the URL from the website that comes up with a picture into the box. Great job on the jeans. You did a tremendous job of problem solving and coming out with a wearable garment.
Diane333 said... (9/19/09 10:11 AM) Reply
Outstanding job and I loved your tutorial.
Rhoda K said... (9/19/09 9:18 AM) Reply
Very nice jeans and a great fit!
Anne S said... (9/19/09 8:14 AM) Reply
WOW, you did a great job. Also loved your review. Looking forward to your future projects and reviews
voet said... (9/19/09 7:48 AM) Reply
Thanks for a very informative and interesting review. I also enjoyed the captions to your project photos. I agree that jeans are easier to sew than shirts. It sounds like you figured out how to do a fly front zipper. I just did a workshop on fly front zippers for our local ASG (American Sewing Guild) chapter. In case you have any lingering questions about it, there are some excellent videos and instructions available on the internet.
DreinPA said... (9/19/09 7:46 AM) Reply
The tension balance is much improved on your stitching over the last shirt. It must be nice to have a personal sewing consultant like Brian! You live in NYC- you must be able to hunt down some 100% denim. I think if the fit is great the lycra is a detriment; working on it myself right now. I'm sure by now you have figured out to serge the raw edges first and then stitch the outseam? Nonetheless, time to upgrade to advanced beginner.
Karla Kizer said... (9/19/09 7:42 AM) Reply
Excellent results, and your pictorial essay is very impressive, too. Extremely wearable, good-looking jeans. I hope Brian is contrite. ;-)
dbsewer said... (9/19/09 7:31 AM) Reply
Great pants. You did an excellent job. You're brave to attempt this not having done a zipper before. I agree with the folks who say you need to up your skill level designation. Fly front, topstitching, yikes. These pants are a great fit. Thanks for a good and amusing review.
FreyaStark said... (9/19/09 6:34 AM) Reply
Very smart! Well done.
eugenia123 said... (9/19/09 4:44 AM) Reply
These jeans looks great. Jeans aren't an easy project but you've done a fantastic job! You definitely deserve a promotion.
ldanielle81 said... (9/19/09 3:20 AM) Reply
your jeans are awesome! now- make me a pair please! lol
sew obsessed said... (9/19/09 0:14 AM) Reply
Peter, these look great! I love all the pictures. Really tho, you need to up the skill level a bit to at least advanced beginner as you have successfully tackled three applications that send most beginners screaming out of the sewing room- fit, fly front zipper and contrast topstitching! Thanks for another inspiring review...........
LynnRowe said... (9/18/09 11:17 PM) Reply
Those fit great!!! A well-fitted pants pattern is a very valuable thing, congrats on yours!
thirteenstitches said... (9/18/09 11:14 PM) Reply
VERY nice! I am impressed!!! Time you upgrade your skill level : )

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2007-115