Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 427 (Double collar princess jacket)

Reviewed by:nancy2001

About nancy2001starstarstarstar
Member since: 12/3/05
Posted on:9/30/09 5:43 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 55 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

JENN10 said... (10/26/09 7:28 PM) Reply
Your jacket is absolutely gorgeous!!!! You have truly inspired me to give it a go on the welt pockets.
chacha45 said... (10/22/09 10:37 AM) Reply
Most helpful review I have ever read! Thanks!
Marie-Claude said... (10/20/09 1:58 AM) Reply
Congratulations! You fully deserve this prize. Your jacket is simply amazing!
Trudy J said... (10/16/09 11:33 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous. It gave me the vicarious thrill of seeing a perfect custom fit and a beautiful piece of clothing. Your tips and and review are wonderful too.
AnnS said... (10/16/09 10:34 AM) Reply
Wow! great review. I made it right out of the envelope, rave about the fit as well, and you'd probably like the shirt-collar style too!
moushka said... (10/15/09 4:47 PM) Reply
Nancy, fantastic jacket, you really deserve your First Prize. Your review is also fabulous. Thanks for taking the time to add all the tips and links. Both jacket and review deserve ten stars!
Aixoise said... (10/15/09 2:22 PM) Reply
Congratulations on winning the Lined Jacket Contest. Your review inspires me to get back to work on my own tailored jacket. Beautiful jacket!
trishapatk said... (10/12/09 1:28 PM) Reply
Congratulations Nancy! You did such a magnificent job on this jacket and wrote such a helpful review. You really went the extra mile in making this and seeing results like that is an inspiration to us all!
lilyofthevalley said... (10/9/09 1:06 AM) Reply
You know, Nancy, I always have to remind myself how few years you've been sewing when I see your gorgeous creations. Let me be your mother for a moment and say, "I'm so darned proud of you, girl." Your unique combination of tenacity and fearlessness have resulted in a jacket that anyone - and I mean anyone at all - would wear with a good bit of attitude. Lovely, Lily
nancy2001 said... (10/8/09 7:56 AM) Reply
Annette, my dress form is a cheap, fiberglass store mannequin that I bought on ebay. I "carved" it with a handsaw and then padded it out with batting and a padded bra. But I'm thinking of getting a Uniquely You dress form because I think it would allow me to get a better match for my exact shape. The Atlanta Thread Company website is selling the Uniquely You for $139 plus free shipping and free Gingher scissors though the month of October.
Amy-may said... (10/7/09 9:43 PM) Reply
Fabulous jacket and an informative review! Well done!
Annette T. E. said... (10/7/09 1:58 PM) Reply
Thank you very much for your informative review. So many helpful tips! Your jacket is perfect. I know that you created a few muslins, I am wondering what dress form you would recommend? Thanks again!
Athene said... (10/3/09 8:20 PM) Reply
This is one special jacket and of course the fit is beautiful. My favorite photo is actually the one of you wearing it that shows the back - the fit is just so gorgeous. Thank you for such an informative review and all the photos and tips.
TanyaMT said... (10/3/09 6:17 PM) Reply
What an incredible jacket and review. Thank you!
Jane S said... (10/3/09 5:05 PM) Reply
I'm joining the applauding crowd of commentators to praise your jacket, your persistence and your helpfu, detailed review. You deserve to be proud of such thoughtful work and beautiful result.
AnneM said... (10/3/09 10:41 AM) Reply
Spectacular job. Thanks for the information (and the encouragement).
cindyann said... (10/3/09 10:22 AM) Reply
Wow, I lurve that jacket! Beautiful work, Nancy and an excellent review. (Booboo is just precious!)
Olivia Sews said... (10/3/09 9:41 AM) Reply
Nancy - this is one beautiful, perfect fitting and inspiring jacket! I love how you give us all the links and helpful tips! I love how you have jumped in with both feet into sewing - with all the research and endless patience you have - it is truly inspiring to me. The idea that Cerisa has about you writing a book is something you should really give some thought to do. Even if you spent 50. to make this jacket - it's a whole lot better than spending 1800.+ on one!!!
washer_woman said... (10/2/09 8:20 PM) Reply
The details on this jacket are amazing! Beautiful work!
Annie- oh said... (10/2/09 7:02 PM) Reply
Simply awwwwwwesome, Nancy, and then some. (Wish you could hear my Texas accent sayin' that!)
DorothyK said... (10/2/09 2:36 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning.
Jolet said... (10/2/09 2:16 PM) Reply
What a wonderful jacket!! I love everything of it!!
Rhoda K said... (10/1/09 4:08 PM) Reply
Your jacket is just beautiful! I always look forward to your reviews and this one didn't disappoint.. Thank you.
waltzqueen said... (10/1/09 3:13 PM) Reply
Looks like Armani to me, but better!!! That jacket is terrific and worth all your effort. Good for you!!!
Barbara3 said... (10/1/09 2:23 PM) Reply
I'm not sure what else can be said about your jacket and your review that hasn't already been said. So I will repeat that the jacket is absolutely beautiful; your ability to persevere in the face of multiple fitting, tailoring, and detail challenges is inspiring; and your review of the process is simply the best. Thanks for sharing your work.
kira said... (10/1/09 2:05 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket - Great review - thanks!
nancy2001 said... (10/1/09 1:45 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments. I've learned so much about sewing from everyone on PR during the past three and a half years. PR is a wonderful resource for anyone who's interested in sewing.
Barbara V said... (10/1/09 12:29 PM) Reply
Fabulous jacket and review. All of your detailed construction techniques make exquisite!
Re Becca said... (10/1/09 10:48 AM) Reply
Fabulous Frankenpattern. You made this looks so flawless. Absolutely Beautiful!
BrianSews said... (10/1/09 10:26 AM) Reply
Very nice, I can't wait to see it in person next week! I am proud to say I've watched your process and been inspired!
Julia C said... (10/1/09 9:56 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. All of your photos & tips are very helpful.
susiestitcher said... (10/1/09 7:38 AM) Reply
Your jacket is beautiful, so perfectly sewn and fitted. I think you should move yourself from Intermediate to Advanced right away! I loved your detailed review. I have already visited all the tips you mentioned and have plans to pick up some of the supplies, as well. Really, it is just an exquisite rendering. The best part is how you took a pattern and morphed it into the exact design and fit that was floating up there in your thoughts. There is nothing more exciting than that!
Vibekeinyork said... (10/1/09 4:31 AM) Reply
This must be one of the best reviews ever. Your persistence and attention to detail really paid off and you could certainly wear this jacket anywhere for years and years. Well done!
ajax said... (10/1/09 4:20 AM) Reply
Beautifully fitted and flattering jacket and your review contains heaps of helpful information. I'm so glad that after all your hard work you've got a jacket you are happy with. Look forward to your next project.
yorkshire lass said... (10/1/09 4:13 AM) Reply
Oh wow, that jacket looks a million dollars. The fit, the finish, the detailing. It is absolutely exquisite. You could wear that anywhere, and be the best dressed person there. Thank you for a super helpful review. So many useful tips. As someone else said, you really are the jacket making queen. I need a "super amazingly, unbelievably helpful button to push for this review.
sewnsewtoo said... (10/1/09 2:48 AM) Reply
I agree with all the prior reviews. Thankyou for your thorough and informative review. I see you rate yourself as 'intermediate' . I think you just graduated. Thanks again.
CynthiaSue said... (10/1/09 1:52 AM) Reply
this is the most impeccable tailoring I've ever seen! love the charcoal color. Notched collar is amazing.
sew2little said... (10/1/09 0:09 AM) Reply
This has been quite a journey--but the destination is its own reward: What a beautiful, classic jacket worthy of being worn anywhere!
QuiltersFan said... (9/30/09 11:58 PM) Reply
Great jacket and review. Thanks for the details.
Vintage Joan said... (9/30/09 11:40 PM) Reply
Very impressive. You certainly have taught yourself (and others) a lot in the last few years, perfecting your tailoring skills as you go. Congratulations on all your hard work and the excellent results. Amazingly detailed and thorough review, by the way!
Nata said... (9/30/09 11:37 PM) Reply
Your jacket is TDF
AnitaJ said... (9/30/09 11:17 PM) Reply
What a beautifully sewn and well-fitted jacket! Your muslins really paid off and thank you for this resourceful review! :)
Em's Summer said... (9/30/09 11:17 PM) Reply
What a beautiful jacket, Nancy! Boo Boo is always spot on and I am in total agreement! Impeccably done, as usual!
JanaL said... (9/30/09 11:11 PM) Reply
An absolutely beautiful garment!!!!!
loti said... (9/30/09 10:55 PM) Reply
I love the jacket, so flattering, I really like the details, the slight curve to the back hem, and decorative stitch, it looks very professional.
appleton78 said... (9/30/09 10:52 PM) Reply
Impressive job on both the lovely jacket and this great review!!! Thanks...so much super info here!!
Deepika said... (9/30/09 10:46 PM) Reply
I admit that I haven't seen your previous jackets which everyone here is talking about. But as I was looking at the entries in the Lined jacket contest, your entry jumped out and I decided to read your review and all I can say is that my mouth is wide open still! What a project! Heather said it right - this review is a master class. Hopefully some day when we meet, I would love to try that jacket. It's so sharp! I love the details you've added. Now I must go and see your other jackets. Maybe I'll get the courage to sew myself one :) Thanks for sharing.
Enid E said... (9/30/09 10:28 PM) Reply
Beautiful work, and great review.
trishapatk said... (9/30/09 10:12 PM) Reply
I thought you already were the jacket making queen! I've looked at your photo bucket site and been impressed with many of them. This one truly is outstanding though. Excellent tips in your review, thank you for all the work you put into that too.
Mermie said... (9/30/09 9:17 PM) Reply
Your jacket is gorgeous. Great job and great review.
Heatherrique said... (9/30/09 8:51 PM) Reply
Your jacket is master class! Thank you so much for your review containing a plethora of useful and wonderful tips, tools, and techniques. I just bookmarked this as "Nancy's amazing jacket with very helpful tips." You are truly an artist, creating a beautiful jacket that has your unique trademark of outstanding quality.
Sewliz said... (9/30/09 8:48 PM) Reply
You look fabulous! Wonderful review for a gorgeous jacket.
marec said... (9/30/09 8:42 PM) Reply
ahh, Nancy, it is beautiful. The style, and the fabric choice fit both your coloring and shape so well. Amazing work-I know you have put in an immense amount of time. Cute dog!!
quixoticpixels said... (9/30/09 8:08 PM) Reply
If you ever grow tired of this exquisite jacket, please send it to me, LOL :) Fantastic workmanship and style!
Cerisa said... (9/30/09 7:59 PM) Reply
Your jacket is a work of art and looks wonderful on you and your persistence and attention to detail are staggering. I was also impressed with your review. Have you considered writing a book about adapting patterns, developing frankenpatterns, the process of coming up with TNTs and encouraging people to start sewing later in life? I think that you could be onto a winner.
Nancy K said... (9/30/09 7:56 PM) Reply
The jacket fits beautifully! A terrific job with some difficult details.
DaisyEsq said... (9/30/09 7:19 PM) Reply
Thank you for such a thoughtful, thorough and helpful review! I'm printing out a copy for my files. Your jacket fits beautifully.
Kellie R. said... (9/30/09 7:08 PM) Reply
Who can argue with Boo Boo? Nancy, you are turning into the Jacket Making Queen. Your jacket is beautiful, the craftsmanship exquisite. I've enjoyed following all of your jacket reviews, hoping that I one day achieve what you have. Gorgeous jacket!
bitofagypsy said... (9/30/09 7:03 PM) Reply
Out standing job both on modifying and combining patterns and on the craftwomanship. You work and attention to detail really show-the fit is perfect.
Terri A said... (9/30/09 6:44 PM) Reply
Wow gorgeous jacket. Really amazing fit and every detail perfect!
Peter in NYC said... (9/30/09 6:21 PM) Reply
Wow, Nancy, that jacket looks terrific and your review is a great resource for anyone taking on such a challenging project. Wonderful photography too. I am in awe of your welt pockets, btw. Congratulations!
vacarisella said... (9/30/09 6:09 PM) Reply
Nancy, What a beautiful job! You should be very proud to wear this at the best store in town! Anywhere for that matter! Thank you for putting up the links. I love making tailored jackets, now I have something to aspire to. Your workmanship is superb!
petro said... (9/30/09 6:06 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket, with a very flattering shape. Thanks for this detailed review and the many many hints and tips.
Riordan said... (9/30/09 5:55 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket!!! The fit is absolutely wonderful! Congratulations--Wow!!

by: divabuddha