Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4712 (Robert L. Green (who's he?)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:9/23/09 9:12 PM
Last Updated:9/23/09 9:21 PM

moushka said... (10/1/09 6:41 AM) Reply
Peter, your shirts are terrific. This one is very professional looking despite the buttonhole mishap. Fabulous shirt collars! All in all, very inspiring. Can't wait to see what you'll do next :)
Race said... (9/26/09 11:45 PM) Reply
Very Nice. I have to say I don't get the vintage sheet thing..... especially since you have the fashion district available. Great shirt. And good review.
Karendee said... (9/26/09 4:53 PM) Reply
Peter, Beautiful shirt, and I'm certainly glad you upgraded fabric from polycotton. Next time, you might even buy a little thicker cotton fabric. However, your shirt looks great, is beautifully made, and the plaid is classy. Enjoy your shirt.
Peter in NYC said... (9/25/09 7:26 AM) Reply
Now I just have to find someone who's willing to pay $300 for it! (ha ha)
CynthiaSue said... (9/25/09 1:21 AM) Reply
that does NOT look like $2 fabric!! looks like a $300 shirt!
nancy2001 said... (9/24/09 7:05 PM) Reply
Another smart looking shirt. You are definitely the star pupil. Congratulations on winning last month's beginner contest.
lucylal said... (9/24/09 6:58 PM) Reply
What a great shirt! I have wanted to make a shirt for my little man (3yo), for a while now, but have kept putting it off. Lots of techniques that i haven't tried yet!! But you have inspired me. I can do it!!!!! And will! Watch this space!
lizagm said... (9/24/09 3:00 PM) Reply
once again, you have created for yourself an awesome shirt! beginner or not you are doing an amazing job with these vintage patterns!
pterion said... (9/24/09 2:29 PM) Reply
Nicely done, Peter! I'm glad you 'splurged' on some nice fabric - the result is fantastic!
Elke said... (9/24/09 1:19 PM) Reply
Great looking shirt!
cindyann said... (9/24/09 12:42 PM) Reply
Great job, Peter! I have made buttonholes quite similar to yours and I've been sewing most of my life. Stuff happens. Great work on the plaid!
RLL said... (9/24/09 11:59 AM) Reply
You continue to amaze me with your gusto for new adventures. Plaids now??? Bravo for you. Another job well done!
fourkid said... (9/24/09 10:14 AM) Reply
Wonderful!!! And you write a great review with lots of easy to access pictures. You matched those plaids like a pro - but I hear you on stumbling through some things. I always practice a few buttonholes before doing my actual ones - and I have only recently been doing those. I have a vintage Singer (201-2) - those do amazing buttonholes - you need to find one and set it up just for buttons!
lilyofthevalley said... (9/24/09 10:07 AM) Reply
Your shirt is very smart, Peter, and you've sewn, and matched, it beautifully. As buttonholers (and internal button functions on machines) can often provide nasty surprises on any given garment, here's a tip: make your buttonholes from 'bottom to top.' This way, you and your buttonholer can adapt to the minute peculiarities of each garment by the time you're making the most visible buttonholes. Oh, and a Beginner, you are not (anymore). Lovely work, Lily
Diane333 said... (9/24/09 9:54 AM) Reply
I love reading and seeing your sewing reviews.
Peter in NYC said... (9/24/09 8:59 AM) Reply
Hey guys, you're the best. It's funny about the plaid: I actually found it easier to work with in some ways. I didn't have to worry about finding the grainline, for example, and it kept me very focused and slowed me down, something I always need to be reminded of. Re that buttonhole, I might try that stabilizer, Heidi. When I'm nearly through with a project I become a little hasty to be finished. If I had done more thorough testing of the buttonholer on the fabric (I did some but not enough) this wouldn't have happened. It's much more visible in the photo close-up than in real life; the plaid works to distract the eye from small details like those. I still consider myself a beginner; I began sewing in June. I've inserted just one zipper for example. I'd like to have a little bit more under my belt before promoting myself. These designations are rather arbitrary and very relative, imo.
okie2thdoc said... (9/24/09 8:51 AM) Reply
Wonderful review. You did a nice job on the shirt. Sorry to see your buttonhole situation- we've all been there.
craftygamma said... (9/24/09 7:58 AM) Reply
All I can say is, "WOW". You are a natural in the sewing department. You have acquired your skills quickly. I envy your accessibility to fabric stores, etc. In most areas, the fabric stores are getting further & fewer between. I hope the bad economy and the back to basics movement brings back some of them.
FreyaStark said... (9/24/09 5:56 AM) Reply
Very nice. Well done. I love the fabric.
Michele19 said... (9/24/09 5:20 AM) Reply
Bravo!
yorkshire lass said... (9/24/09 3:15 AM) Reply
Very smart shirt and perfectly matched plaid... well done you... as others have said, possibly time to move up to advanced beginner if you feel comfortable with that.
Sew Shy said... (9/24/09 0:32 AM) Reply
Very nice!
lyndle said... (9/23/09 11:29 PM) Reply
Great shirt. Well found pattern and it has come out looking good. WHEN are you going to upgrade your skill level to Intermediate or at least Advanced Beginner? I saw several people comment on your jeans review that you should and I agree!
thirteenstitches said... (9/23/09 10:56 PM) Reply
Nice shirt, great job and cute review : ) Peter next you will be making buttonholes by hand!!!
Heidi Ho said... (9/23/09 10:51 PM) Reply
Wow, htat is a great shirt..I'd say you aren't a beginner anymore. You might try a dissolve away stabilizer for your buttonholes. I love the way you matched the plaids.
sew obsessed said... (9/23/09 10:23 PM) Reply
Another success story! Wow, the plaid aligns perfectly. The shirt looks great on you Peter.
stretch queen said... (9/23/09 10:04 PM) Reply
Amazing shirt...in general, they scare me. Cool that you changes the collar to something more up-to-date. Congrats!
beth5646 said... (9/23/09 10:04 PM) Reply
Peter--beautiful shirt. It looks great on you. And I do love the fabric. I always enjoy reading your reviews. Don't worry about the button hole--we have all been there in one way or the other.
Sew4Fun said... (9/23/09 10:04 PM) Reply
Great looking shirt and I'm impressed with how well you matched the plaid. Not easy!
RachelEsq said... (9/23/09 9:37 PM) Reply
Wow, what an awesome shirt. You did such a great job matching the plaids. I'm so impressed by your sewing skills. As a beginner, I'm really intimidated at the thought of sewing men's clothing, but you are giving me hope. Keep posting your creations (and/or start a blog so that we can stalk your projects...?)!
mleclair said... (9/23/09 9:20 PM) Reply
Great shirt! Very well done and flattering. Felix rules!

Jackets for Real People DVD