Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 08-2009-127 (Petite cropped skinny pants)

Reviewed by:Catbird

Last Updated:9/26/09 5:05 PM
Pattern Size:Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 21 people
Maree P said... (11/11/11 5:41 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for your informative review...I am thinking of making these and your comments are so helpful. I know it is two years since you made these ...but I think they look fabulous and your sewing is impeccable. Thank you Catbird.
Birgitte said... (9/28/09 6:21 PM) Reply
They look great and your construction is impeccable- love the rivets- but sadly I know what you mean about the "slim" description. The same thing happened to a BWOF pair I made. "Handheld mirror above the shoulder" :)) That was me a year ago. Go for the 3-way! Great review as always, thank you.
Heidi Ho said... (9/27/09 10:52 PM) Reply
Great review! I agree with everyone that the front fit on these is terrific. I have had the same back fit issues on BWOF pants and am still trying to figure them out myself (I must not have one of those strong behinds that Mahler was talking about). I am going to try cutting the rear inner leg 1 size smaller on my next pair to see if that works. I think you did a fantastic job on those and it is nice to know that a non Petite could use that pattern too!
kerrynw said... (9/27/09 10:13 PM) Reply
Your pants look GREAT and so well made. Pitty you are not happy with the fit but I think you are too hard on yourself! Thank you for your inspiring and comprehensive review.
Patzee said... (9/27/09 6:47 PM) Reply
Great review! Thank you, thank you, thank you for mentioning where you purchased your rivets!
mylittleelephant said... (9/27/09 1:17 PM) Reply
I too notice BWOF's fitting descriptions sometimes don't match to what actually are, most of the time they are OK but when it's wrong, they are really wrong. Anyway, even you don't love them and they are not skinny, they are definitely a great pair!
cindyann said... (9/27/09 12:56 PM) Reply
I think they look fantastic, but I understand that you didn't get what you were expecting. Fantastic workmanship!
Heatherrique said... (9/27/09 10:19 AM) Reply
Oooooh la la, Sasoon cannot make them any better! Kudos to you for achieving from what I see a fine fitting pair of pants. Thanks for your very informative (Debbie's tutorial will come in handy!) and entertaining review.
eugenia123 said... (9/27/09 9:52 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for a really informative review - when I finally get around to making my first pair of jeans this will be the review I turn to for help. Your jeans look amazing and the construction is impeccable - I am totally in awe!
Mahler said... (9/27/09 9:47 AM) Reply
What a great review! Very informative. I like the front fit very well. For the back fit, humm German women must have stronger behinds ;-) If you go for a smaller size, are you certain you want the front and the back to be smaller ? I think, I would try a smaller back with the same front to see how it goes. Though those jeans are looser then what we regularly see you in, I think they are so nicely sewn. As Annette said, comfortable jeans are always needed in a wardrobe, though they are not the most flattering in our eyes. Thank you for this thorough review. Sorry for the big sigh ;-)
touran said... (9/27/09 9:34 AM) Reply
Wow. That's really very well made.
Fran G said... (9/27/09 9:14 AM) Reply
I just have to agree with what others have said..they appear to fir very nicely. Perhaps the back..which I really can't see completely..might benefit from Diane E's "clown butt" alteration, but I think they are really great as is. I suggest the clown butt alteration as it appears you are most unhappy with the back fit. But as someone commented, we are our own worst critic. I am going to check this pattern out. Thanks for the great review! Lots of effort put into your detailed review.
Peggy L said... (9/27/09 8:02 AM) Reply
Janie - excellent review!! Your jeans are just awesome. The quality of your work is amazing. I hope you'll enjoy wearing this and decide that you do love them.
susiestitcher said... (9/27/09 7:25 AM) Reply
These jeans look fantastic! Your stitching skills are top-notch. THis was an excellent review. I might be tempted to try these, even though I'd have to do the tall alterations. You make it look so easy! Sigh!
Jali said... (9/27/09 7:01 AM) Reply
Thank you for a very informative review. Your jeans look fantastic to me.
Annette1 said... (9/27/09 0:21 AM) Reply
Well, you can never have too many "comfortable" pants, and even your COMFORTABLE pants are ULTRA-FLATTERING! GREAT review AND jeans. :o)
Patti B said... (9/26/09 9:16 PM) Reply
Fantastic pants -- do make them again, perhaps a little smaller. They are a very good fit and flattering too.
Vintage Joan said... (9/26/09 8:48 PM) Reply
Fabulous jeans!! :) If I may observe... I wonder if you are actually a bit smaller than size 38/12 (i.e. 19 in Burda petite). You seem to have quite slim hips (she says, sighing). To answer your question about the "cropped" wording, that didn't come from BWOF -- it's the wording used by a previous reviewer. You should be able to edit your description easily enough, if you like. I've done this sometimes.
Mufffet said... (9/26/09 8:42 PM) Reply
These look absolutely great!
21wale said... (9/26/09 8:39 PM) Reply
Wow, I'm impressed. They may not be tight, but they look great.
RLL said... (9/26/09 7:58 PM) Reply
Gosh, my first response was 'why is someone reviewing a pair of RTW jeans?'. Wow you are good! Sorry you don't love them cause they sure look great.
Meggie LuLu said... (9/26/09 7:50 PM) Reply
These jeans are so CUTE!! They fit BEAUTIFULLY!!!! Everything about these jeans is PERFECT!!! LOVE the rivets!!
Rhoda K said... (9/26/09 7:23 PM) Reply
Great job and they look great.
Kay Y said... (9/26/09 7:12 PM) Reply
I agree with Christa - these look fabulous! Your topstitching and finishing, especially the rivets, really make these pop!
Christas said... (9/26/09 6:07 PM) Reply
Janie, thanks for the wonderful and thorough review. Personally I think we all are our worst critics. These are WONDERFUL and no pair of RTW would ever look as perfect (or even come close to as nice as these are). Your sewing is absolutely FLAWLESS!
Twinset said... (9/26/09 6:04 PM) Reply
Very nicely executed! Too bad you are not in love with them, but thanks for a very informative review!
blessedtosew said... (9/26/09 5:16 PM) Reply
Those are great!!!
sew obsessed said... (9/26/09 5:14 PM) Reply
Great jeans! Your workmanship is stellar!

by: KathleenS