Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 8574 (Infants' & Preemie Layette)

Reviewed by:Judy Kski

Pattern Photo:McCall's 8574
McCall's Pattern Info

More Info provided by Judy Kski

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
See other patterns in this category: Baby clothes
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Interlock Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Infants' and preemie layette includes: one-piece romper, pullover T-shirt, dress and bodysuit with long or short sleeves, gown with drawstring hem, diaper cover with self-gripping fasteners, stocking cap and booties. I've sewn the long-sleeve T-shirt (View C) , stocking cap (View K) and booties (View L) for my great nephew (DGN).

Pattern Sizing: Preemie (7 lbs.) - Large (19-21 lbs.) I sewed size Small (13 - 15 lbs.) for DGN for the fall/winter season.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, very much so.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were well written. However, there was no chart for average size ankle measurements for each size. I called DMIL to get the measurement for me. His ankle measured 5 1/2", just in case anybody is making the Size Small.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I really liked the variety of garments available in just one pattern. They were all quick and easy to make.

Fabric Used: A really cute interlock knit from JoAnn's. Lil' Monkey fabric

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
1. Long-sleeve T-shirt (View C): I added 5/8" foldover elastic (FOE) to the neck edges. The sky blue FOE matches the monkeys' T-shirt.

2. Booties (View L): I added FOE to the upper edge of both booties so it coordinated with the T-shirt. I also added a very colorful bias binding to encase the elastic on the inside. I used it to add a little color as a surprise for anyone putting them on the baby.

3. No alterations or design changes were made to the stocking cap.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, this will be a TNT layette pattern for future baby showers. I highly recommend it to sewers of all ages and skill levels. It is a useful pattern for everyone.

Conclusion: These three garments were made from the leftover yardage of a crib sheet that I made for DGN. You can get a lot out of just a small amount of fabric so consider this pattern if you have some extra interlock knit to use up.

Tricia Plummer said...
He actually looks like he's sitting on your lap shinning with pride 'cause my Momma made this for me'! Really a cute outfit, Judy. We just had a DGD a month ago and it's still hot so this might be something she (her Mom) would like. Oh, and I should had said this first, the baby is darling..
9/28/09 2:38 AM