Online Sewing Class: Understanding Knit Fabrics
J Stern Designs Ribbon Skirt
You'll learn :
  • 5 Different Bias Hemming Techniques
  • Working with a variety of fabrics
  • Matching stripes
  • Lining a bias skirt
  • Inserting a ripple free zipper
  • All with the help of HD video which you can play over and over again as many times as you want. Blog Announcements with more photos ">Put it on the Bias Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2734 (Anna Sui Vogue American Design)

Reviewed by:Catbird

About Catbirdstarstar
NY USA
Member since: 9/7/04
Posted on:10/10/09 9:01 PM
Last Updated:10/10/09 9:08 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 25 people
lorrwill said... (11/29/10 0:01 AM) Reply
Much better than the pattern photo! I wish I had picked this up while it was still in print.
eugenia123 said... (10/14/09 10:12 AM) Reply
Stunning jacket - I love all those interesting constructions lines and it looks amazing on you. I wish I had that pattern!
cgHipp said... (10/13/09 9:11 PM) Reply
Wow, this looks fantastic and completely professional. Great jacket!
SandraB said... (10/12/09 8:28 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket!
Karendee said... (10/12/09 6:01 PM) Reply
After reviewing this jacket, I went to find your former reviews. I read them thoroughly and am quite impressed with all of your garments. Thanks again for such educational reviews.
Karendee said... (10/12/09 5:16 PM) Reply
You have completely outdone yourself with this jacket, Catbird. Your sewing is so precise and the fit is just beautiful on your lovely figure. The fabric acquisition was a thrifty solution to produce such a fine project. Both the denim and the velvet sound wonderful; think of the velvet with dress jeans during the holiday season! That would be a winner!
RachelEsq said... (10/12/09 11:35 AM) Reply
Super impressive. A real standout jacket.
Kayseri said... (10/11/09 5:56 PM) Reply
Oh boy, what a terrific jacket!
Mufffet said... (10/11/09 3:17 PM) Reply
Excellent. I think you are "Advanced" not intermediate. The seaming work on this is so nicely done. Very well fitted and all together a fine garment.
Birgitte said... (10/11/09 2:49 PM) Reply
I so much prefer your version, just gorgeous! The solid color is what brings all the piecing come to life and more than justifies the labor involved. It also makes it timeless. Fabulous job, great review as always, and you look fantastic in it- congrats!!
emeraldjul said... (10/11/09 2:33 PM) Reply
Terrific jacket - what a clever reuse of fabric and the washed denim gives a great jacket and even better look!
Annette1 said... (10/11/09 2:33 PM) Reply
I had the same thought about THE LITTLE PIPSQUEAK, but managed to keep my trap shut ... until NOW, I mean. :o)
Catbird said... (10/11/09 1:36 PM) Reply
Well, "Catbird Creations" certainly gave me a chuckle! Thank you all for such nice (and funny) comments.
Heatherrique said... (10/11/09 1:25 PM) Reply
Your "tester" jacket is delightfully marvelous. I had to double check what you mentioned for the fabric you used because I was still in disbelief. What a clever use of fabric to create a better-than-designer piece. "Catbird Creations" did it again with another stunner!
becca a said... (10/11/09 12:58 PM) Reply
Fabulous jacket!
nancy2001 said... (10/11/09 12:39 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. Now I want to make one just like it.
DorothyK said... (10/11/09 12:22 PM) Reply
Stunning jacket. I love it with jeans. I'll have to get this pattern somehow. Thanks for the review.
Amanda S. said... (10/11/09 12:21 PM) Reply
Super cute! I love patterns with interesting construction lines and would make this is a heartbeat were it not OOP. You did a great job. I actually prefer yours in the solid color to the envelope picture. Maybe I will have to search this one out...
merlette said... (10/11/09 12:04 PM) Reply
Wow! I really love it!
Barbara V said... (10/11/09 12:04 PM) Reply
Great jacket - perfect fabric. What a jaw dropping surprise when I clicked on the Vogue pattern image. I've had this pattern for years in an un-sewn status. Now I really want to make it up. Thank you!
Jolet said... (10/11/09 11:34 AM) Reply
The style looks great on you!! Very sporty and on the other hand classic. Next time better about the finishing of the seams, nobody will look inside. Great effort to put such a complicated jacket together. And this was only the "muslin".
barbcl said... (10/11/09 10:34 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket with great seaming!
Nancy Rhodes said... (10/11/09 10:17 AM) Reply
Now that is an OOP to BOLO (Be on the Look Out). Yours looks much better than the pattern envelope. I particularly enjoyed your comments about "large expanses of fabric for testers...." Made me smile! thanks for sharing an OOP great pattern
Twinset said... (10/11/09 10:11 AM) Reply
What a great jacket! I didn't know this pattern existed, but now I need it! Your 'tester' looks fantastic, and I love the idea of it in denim!
jlg said... (10/11/09 9:40 AM) Reply
Fabulous jacket. You did a great job on this.
Fran S said... (10/11/09 9:11 AM) Reply
What a great jacket, but what a great sewing job as well!!
Margie T said... (10/11/09 8:25 AM) Reply
Congratulations on a lovely jacket. Enjoy!
Lori V said... (10/11/09 8:12 AM) Reply
Very cute jacket and great details.
Sigrid. said... (10/11/09 8:00 AM) Reply
Wonderful jacket, really worth the time invested/needed.
Peggy L said... (10/11/09 6:37 AM) Reply
Great Jacket! I love all the details and it fits to a tee. Amazing that you used an old loveseat cover. I love the idea of this in old jeans.
valerie sews said... (10/11/09 1:57 AM) Reply
Lovely job on a lovely jacket. If your tester is this good I look forward to seeing the 'real' one.
jilly cooper said... (10/11/09 1:49 AM) Reply
this is what I love about PR, people re-use fabric, give OOP patterns a go and the result is one stylish jacket!!!!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (10/11/09 0:48 AM) Reply
Fantastic jacket, all that seam detail must have been really time consuming but the end result is definitely worth it.
Meggie LuLu said... (10/10/09 11:32 PM) Reply
This jacket is BEAUTIFUL!!! I absolutely LOVE all of the seaming!!! You did an EXCELLENT job on sewing it!!! It fits you SO WELL!!!
Jennifer shaw said... (10/10/09 10:41 PM) Reply
I adore your jacket!! It is wonderful.
carolynw said... (10/10/09 10:14 PM) Reply
Without your review (and AmyRose's) I would not have given this pattern a second look - all I can say is your jacket is wonderful -beautiful - love it and way to go with using an old loveseat cover!!
Christas said... (10/10/09 10:06 PM) Reply
Hmmmmmm..... I don't have a clue WHO you could be talking about! LOL!
Catbird said... (10/10/09 10:00 PM) Reply
You're pretty spunky for a little PIPSQUEAK, and you know who you are! :-))
Sweetiebop said... (10/10/09 9:49 PM) Reply
Love love love this jacket and I hope I can find this pattern soon.
Athene said... (10/10/09 9:42 PM) Reply
Great detailing - very nice jacket.
Christas said... (10/10/09 9:37 PM) Reply
Where is the review of that cute little black top?! It was really cute, and you should review it!
Christas said... (10/10/09 9:34 PM) Reply
Ooooooh! I sooo love this jacket! It is absolutely wonderful! All those pieces add up to a terrific looking jacket on a beautiful person! Your sewing is always so perfect. I always enjoy looking at your lovely creations.
Annette1 said... (10/10/09 9:27 PM) Reply
This is SO cute, and I'm glad you included pictures of the pattern itself, because I could just ALMOST see it, but NOT QUITE. Now I remember it though. AND I noticed those jeans right off, too. This one is a winner all the way around. You may have been mortified trying to get out of the thing at the hairdresser's, but it's SOOOOOOOOOOO worth it, because the FIT is DIVINE. The PEPLUM and those zig-zagged INSETS just MAKE it. You look MAAAAAAAAAAAVELOUS! :o))
KathleenS said... (10/10/09 9:23 PM) Reply
I like yours much better than the pattern illustration. The plain fabric really shows off the seam details.
Restart06 said... (10/10/09 9:17 PM) Reply
cute jacket and I love the detailing.....can't wait till you make the next jacket and review it here now that you know all the ins & outs of the pattern. Thanks for sharing!

Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS