Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 10-2009-119 (Sleeveless Dress with Pleats)

Reviewed by:elainemay

About elainemaystarstarstar
Member since: 2/4/09
Posted on:10/18/09 4:17 PM
Last Updated:10/18/09 4:24 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
pammieh said... (11/19/09 4:35 PM) Reply
Adorable!! I think you should up your skill level - to me you're an expert:) (I'm a beginner:)).
Heatherrique said... (11/1/09 9:51 AM) Reply
You captured the glamour of Audrey H., the elegance of Michelle Yeoh, and the mystique of Tippi Hedren in this stunning dress! AMAZING!
RachelEsq said... (10/26/09 1:44 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning dress.
aimeejessica said... (10/25/09 4:18 PM) Reply
thanks for all the help in your review!
cindyann said... (10/25/09 10:22 AM) Reply
Lovely!! So perfect for your figure.
taffee said... (10/22/09 5:20 PM) Reply
You do beautiful work.
MarijaSLO said... (10/21/09 5:41 AM) Reply
I read their German instructions too and don't understand those few centimeters as well. They can't be because of the tightness of the skirt, since the skirt has pleats. When I make mine, I will keep in mind to make the lining for the bodice. This half solutions they always suggest, tend to make the dress bulky in the upper part of the bodice. Your dress looks great, I envy you for having it. :)
Sew Shy said... (10/20/09 5:38 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning!
Awi said... (10/19/09 6:11 PM) Reply
Love it love it love it - WOW!
becca a said... (10/19/09 5:54 PM) Reply
Wow! Your dress looks so much better than Burda's picture. Great dress. I might have to try this pattern after all.
MichelleE said... (10/19/09 2:27 PM) Reply
Fabulous job. It looks very elegant on you.
Vintage Joan said... (10/19/09 12:26 PM) Reply
Very lovely. :)
CynthiaSue said... (10/19/09 11:58 AM) Reply
ooh thats why it looks so good, "I graded down to a 32"!! lol. It looks stunning on you!
nicegirl said... (10/19/09 10:36 AM) Reply
That is so much cuter than the Burda version! The line drawing had promise but I wasn't sure how it would look in real life, but I totally love yours! Thank you for the review (and the mention of the enigmatic picture with the wooden spoon--I mean, really, what is that?).
Julia C said... (10/19/09 9:37 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Very classic.
apple annie said... (10/19/09 8:25 AM) Reply
Great looking dress, perfectly executed with a flawless fit. Love your shoes!!!
apple annie said... (10/19/09 8:24 AM) Reply
Great looking dress, perfectly executed with a flawless fit. Love your shoes!!!
Lalena said... (10/19/09 7:15 AM) Reply
Your dress is stunning! I don't know if I'd make one in a floral, however--all those beautiful pleats might be lost in patterned fabric. What about a light color solid for spring? Great job.
alviana said... (10/19/09 5:01 AM) Reply
absolutely beautiful... this is one of my must-sew pattern and urs are very inspirational
Paris75008 said... (10/19/09 4:11 AM) Reply
Absolutely stunning. You look beautiful in that classic dress and it's made perfectly. I have this issue and your lovely dress makes me want to have a go at this one.
Sharonspils said... (10/19/09 2:07 AM) Reply
It looks stunning on you and you have done a wonderful job. Thank you for a very informative review, I have ths one on my wish list.
lara900 said... (10/19/09 0:40 AM) Reply
I love your dress, very pretty, elegant -- and those pleats are really perfect, stitched halfway down.
sew2little said... (10/19/09 0:31 AM) Reply
This is lovely on you--very chic.
cgHipp said... (10/18/09 10:40 PM) Reply
This looks fabulous - so beautifully done!
Elke said... (10/18/09 10:37 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress...looks fabulous on you!
Kaitlinnegan said... (10/18/09 10:23 PM) Reply
Oh, so gorgeous, and classy! It looks truly professional in construction, and the fit is superb! MarianS - I really think this would look great on a fuller figure too.
Kellie R. said... (10/18/09 9:28 PM) Reply
What a wonderfully striking dress. Your construction is fantastic!
DorothyK said... (10/18/09 8:32 PM) Reply
Stunning dress - beautifully made. Looks great on you.
lamstu said... (10/18/09 8:28 PM) Reply
Beautiful fit and excellent workmanship. You are ready for the boardroom in this dress.
MarianS said... (10/18/09 8:23 PM) Reply
I love this dress! I don't know how it would look on my size 14 - 16 figure, but I want one.
SandraB said... (10/18/09 7:54 PM) Reply
Lovely, lovely dress. It fits you perfectly.
Catbird said... (10/18/09 7:51 PM) Reply
This is wonderful. I love the combination of feminine form with 'businesslike' fabric. You've done it to perfection. Great job and great review!
Rhonda in Montreal said... (10/18/09 7:11 PM) Reply
Beautiful!! Both you and the dress!! Very understated. Also would look lovely with accessories. Very couture looking--WOW!!
Raye Ann said... (10/18/09 6:46 PM) Reply
fabulous dress and impeccable fit. thank you for the great review!
sewbehind said... (10/18/09 6:38 PM) Reply
I love everything about this dress. The fit, the style, the look. Gorgeous.
Peter in NYC said... (10/18/09 5:52 PM) Reply
Not only is this dress sophisticated and clearly well-crafted, it looks stunning on you, truly. And I appreciate the lovely photography too. Great job!
Nancy K said... (10/18/09 5:41 PM) Reply
A beautiful dress with meticulous details. You're right, the fit is perfection. May I suggest Sew Exciting's Professiona sheer interfacing next time. It is a really great light weight interfacing.
Twinset said... (10/18/09 5:33 PM) Reply
Beautiful and well made, really. Love it with your red shoes!
cabinbaby said... (10/18/09 5:20 PM) Reply
This was my favorite thing in the magazine. I will be sewing this in November after Halloween costumes, Wardrobe Contest, and a few other projects. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your version. It's so flattering on you.
Kay Y said... (10/18/09 5:12 PM) Reply
Fabulous! I just looked at this issue today and this dress was my favorite. You have done a fabulous job! BTW perhaps you leave a few cm unsewn at the bottom of the panel seam so that you can do the hem before completing the seam - this keeps the inward pleat very sharp and flat, although it looks as though you had no trouble with it in your wool fabric.
Christas said... (10/18/09 5:02 PM) Reply
This is GORGEOUS. I thought it looked interesting in the magazine, but yours makes me want to sew it. Your fit is perfect, as is the fabric..... excellent sewing!
Amanda S. said... (10/18/09 5:00 PM) Reply
Okay, so I did not give this one a second look in the magazine. BUT, I love yours!!! I do love a pleat that's stitched flat against the lower abdomen. I think that's very flattering. Great job on this smart little dress!
kimmielovesparis said... (10/18/09 4:35 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! The fit is bang on. Great job.
lmg said... (10/18/09 4:32 PM) Reply
My top pick for this issue. Yes very smart and you did a marvelous job. I would need to draft some elbow length sleeves though....
okie2thdoc said... (10/18/09 4:28 PM) Reply
Wonderful dress. I can see where this will become a dress you go to often.
FreyaStark said... (10/18/09 4:26 PM) Reply
Very smart and distinctive. Well done.

J Stern Designs Misses Jeans Pattern