Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4712 (Men's Shirt)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:10/21/09 10:35 AM
Last Updated:10/21/09 10:54 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 16 people

Annette1 said... (10/24/09 4:35 AM) Reply
Look at the PERFECT match of those stripes on the pockets. :o) EVERY stitch is exact and precise. No wonder Michael loves his new shirt. Who wouldn't? :o) I wish I had a fabric dive around here (other than the sewing room, I mean).
RLL said... (10/22/09 5:16 PM) Reply
Another job well done!!! And I am glad Michael finally got something out of this. Now he will want more and you can justify more fabric purchases : ) or in your case, machine purchases lol.
Peter in NYC said... (10/22/09 10:00 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone for your kind words and birthday wishes! It's funny, in a way I find it EASIER to make a patterned shirt like this: you always know when you're cutting on the grain and it's easy to keep all your stitching straight. For anyone making shirts, Margaret Islander's Shirtmaking DVD really de-mystifies the process. David Coffin is another, perhaps more famous, shirt-master, but I find his book/DVD a little intimidating and his approach a bit fastidious. About interfacing, yes, I will try something stiffer next time, esp. for the collar band. It's definitely a whole world unto itself and I'm learning by trial and error what works and what doesn't.
HLT said... (10/22/09 9:37 AM) Reply
Great review & conclusion!! Love the tips that I will reference when I make my DH a shirt.
JEF said... (10/22/09 9:26 AM) Reply
Really nice shirt - very inspiring.
Sewing Chick said... (10/22/09 8:48 AM) Reply
Love the shirt. Michael is a lucky guy! I'm about to make my fiancee some shirts and you have provided me with some inspiration. By the way, you may want to edit the pattern info provided. When it pulls up, it's a baby dress! Thanks for the review, Peter. You always do a beautiful job.
voet said... (10/22/09 8:06 AM) Reply
Another nice job, Peter. Michael must be very happy with his birthday present. Regarding the interfacing, I like to use Shirt Tailor for the top collar, cuffs and button placket when I make a shirt out of cotton shirting. It gives a nice pressed look.
fourkid said... (10/22/09 3:07 AM) Reply
NIce shirt - I liked the dark buttons! I totally understand using what is at hand - I do it all the time - on the knit interefacing - you could try an extra layer to help get it firmer. PR does an on-line interfacing class calls that is great - with lots of samples - I found it opened up whole new possiblities for me in sewing.
knitmachinequeen said... (10/22/09 1:59 AM) Reply
Great job!
AnitaJ said... (10/21/09 10:41 PM) Reply
Great shirt! What a nice birthday gift for Michael, plus a nice gift for you too - I gotta learn how to make my gifts work like that. Have fun with your new machine!
Sewing Joe said... (10/21/09 9:35 PM) Reply
Another beautiful job!
Rhoda K said... (10/21/09 8:01 PM) Reply
What a beautiful shirt! Happy b'day Michael and a great job, as always Peter.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (10/21/09 7:56 PM) Reply
Happy Birthday, Michael!! Your shirt looks GREAT on ya!
FreyaStark said... (10/21/09 4:40 PM) Reply
A very nice job. Well done.
Dee2 said... (10/21/09 1:14 PM) Reply
Beautiful shirt--love the fabric & your wonderful attention to detail. What a great collection of machines!
sew obsessed said... (10/21/09 12:49 PM) Reply
Another great shirt! Thanks for a thorough review. Glad to see you are now an Advanced Beginner:-)
Gloria W said... (10/21/09 11:49 AM) Reply
I am in awe of your pattern matching ability. The pockets and sleeve plackets just disappear! (And of course I love the photos)

Sewing Workshop Onde Jacket Pattern