Online Sewing Class: Fit the Tee to a T

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4914 (Maggy London Dress)

Reviewed by:becca a

About becca astarstar
VT USA
Member since: 11/6/04
Posted on:10/29/09 9:58 PM
Last Updated:11/11/09 4:53 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 5 people

DorothyK said... (11/13/09 12:53 PM) Reply
This is a nice pattern - very flattering on you.
mochimo said... (11/13/09 10:16 AM) Reply
You look lovely in this dress!
becca a said... (11/12/09 7:12 AM) Reply
Thank you all for the kind comments. I really appreciate the time you take to write a comment and the encouragement you give.
Barbara V said... (11/12/09 0:24 AM) Reply
It certainly "should make you happy!" All of your adjustments make this a perfect fit and very flattering on you. Great job! Very pretty!
MaryDB said... (11/11/09 11:52 PM) Reply
Very nice dress, and your alterations are right-on. I, too have made this one, and now have trouble with a drooping midriff piece. I think you've got the right idea. Nice work.
Raye Ann said... (11/11/09 11:17 PM) Reply
the finished product is beautiful on you! the alterations for length throught the torso and hem took this from matronly to lovely.
marec said... (11/11/09 10:36 PM) Reply
terrific review and what an improvement from the muslin. You look terrific in this dress.
Ann B. said... (11/11/09 9:17 PM) Reply
Thanks for the enjoyable, detailed review. The dress looks great and we'd never guess it took some doing to get it that way. Hope you get a lot of wear from it.
becca a said... (11/11/09 8:29 PM) Reply
Thank you for the suggestion Alibi. I am not very creative with accessorizing, and appreciate the suggestion.
Christas said... (11/11/09 8:25 PM) Reply
This looks very nice on you! Your adjustments look perfect!
alibi said... (11/11/09 7:19 PM) Reply
I really like how the dress looks on you. I was thinking a mid-tone necklace or scarf would balance the dark values of the dress and your hair with the lighter skin tones.
Opals Passions said... (11/11/09 6:41 PM) Reply
Nice dress and its a great fit on you...
Heatherrique said... (11/11/09 6:31 PM) Reply
It's really a sleek dress on you!
becca a said... (10/30/09 3:44 PM) Reply
Edited 11/11 Sewing for fun and Kelly I took your advice and shortened the dress to just below the knee in my final version in real fabric. Thanks for the suggestion.
becca a said... (10/30/09 3:28 PM) Reply
Thank you all for your kind comments; I really appreciate them. I think I may make the dress again with a slightly shorter mid section and skirt ending just below the knee, in a plainer fabric because this one overwhelms me with its busyness.
Kelly D. said... (10/30/09 10:50 AM) Reply
I agree with everyone else who says the dress looks really nice on you, but I also agree with you that it needs to be shorter. I looked at the other dresses you've made for yourself and I can see that the just below the knee length is very flattering on you. I hope you shorten the skirt and wear this dress because it does fit you so well and the bodice looks really nice on you!
sewing for fun said... (10/30/09 10:47 AM) Reply
I think the dress is very nice on you - it just needs to be shortened to the right length for you. The fabric and design/fit is very pretty and feminine!!
Carolyndh said... (10/30/09 9:36 AM) Reply
Believe it or not I agreed with Aixoise and Woolygal. When I saw your photo before reading the review I thought, "Nice dress, very flattering."
Woolygal said... (10/30/09 6:35 AM) Reply
I think you're being too hard on yourself. It looks very nice on you.
Aixoise said... (10/30/09 0:14 AM) Reply
I actually think the dress looks quite good on you. The fit seems just right. Maybe it's one of those that you have to hide in the closet for a few days and then come back to for a second appraisal. Let us know what you decide.

Understanding Sheer Fabrics