Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1403 (Milan Dress)

Reviewed by:Mini

About Ministarstarstarstar
WI USA
Member since: 3/21/02
Posted on:4/29/02 5:22 PM
Last Updated:4/29/02 5:30 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
missy d said... (7/24/03 5:04 PM) Reply
I am wearing the Milan right now in a soft cotton sateen (a Japanese print). I cut the hip one size larger than the bust for my pear shape and put a 2-1/2" dart about 3" from the side seam in the arm curve pointing to the bust. It disappeared in the print. I also lowered the side slit about 8". It is easy, modest and a much loved summer dress. I will make another when I find a fabric that sings to me.
said... (5/13/02 10:27 PM) Reply
I am a small but pear-shaped woman, and your reference to "curvy" thighs is me exactly. I don't own any LH patterns yet despite all the wildly positive reviews I've read here, because they all seem to have such slim cuts on the bottom. Offering alternatives is extremely helpful -- thanks much!
said... (4/29/02 10:20 PM) Reply
Mini, you are just the best for always telling it like it is. I liked my recent 'wearable muslin' of the Milan, but was planning a bust adjustment on the next version. Now I will check out those Kwik Sew patterns for comparison. And yup, that slit as drafted was mighty high!
said... (4/29/02 5:29 PM) Reply
Hi Mini, I had trouble with this dress too. I made it twice and while the fit was better the second time, it just never "felt" right. I think you hit the nail on the head with Loes' designs and their suitability for certain figure types. Even though my hips are only 1" bigger than my bust measurement, this dress just looked like a nightgown on me. Thanks for your thoughtful review.