Online Sewing Class: Perfectly Fitted Shirt

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 5968 (Misses' and Women's Dress)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:11/15/09 8:05 PM
Last Updated:11/15/09 8:16 PM

katie lynne said... (1/16/10 7:57 PM) Reply
Oh, I'm learning so much from you! This is indeed très chic. Such inspiring work...
Meredith P said... (11/22/09 8:45 PM) Reply
There's no stopping you! But seriously, everyone will want you to sew for them, and it can be trouble :-)
eugenia123 said... (11/18/09 6:06 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress - lucky Sara!
clearlysewcrazy said... (11/18/09 9:03 AM) Reply
Peter, I don't know what you do for a profession but you should be a writer. I enjoy reading your reviews sew much! I have to admit I am jealous at how fast you have learned to sew and how much you have accomplished. Keep writing the reviews!
Heatherrique said... (11/16/09 9:07 PM) Reply
Sara is totally groovy in this, Peter! You can sew anything and make it look fabulous. There's something cool about those patterns from the past: the flattering fit and styles. YOU took this pattern to a higher level.
Kayseri said... (11/16/09 6:16 PM) Reply
Lucky Sara, this is a great dress
CSM--Carla said... (11/16/09 3:44 PM) Reply
I admire your beautiful work. You are intrepid!
Nancy Anne said... (11/16/09 9:42 AM) Reply
The dress is terrifice, Peter! Does she like it? Side note- I never realized one could describe the same person as both "athletic" AND "voluptuous". I now feel free to use both terms for my muscular-yet-Jessica-Rabbit-ish body.
Sic said... (11/16/09 8:32 AM) Reply
Love it! The fit looks really nice on her!
Peter in NYC said... (11/16/09 8:20 AM) Reply
Thanks for the feedback, everybody! It was fun being able to fit someone else for a change, and challenging to fit a woman with curves. I think in a jersey-type fabric this dress would drape more smoothly. That invisible zipper was challenging, too. With a tightly fitted bodice, it's not exactly invisible; I need to do these a few more times and work out the kinks. Glad so many people liked the pattern!
nancy2001 said... (11/16/09 8:06 AM) Reply
Sara's dress turned out beautifully.
fourkid said... (11/16/09 8:01 AM) Reply
I love that pattern - I think I made that when I was in high school! I have also done the insertion technique - it does work great. You will have to update us after Sara gets the finished dress with a picture of her in it.
cindyann said... (11/16/09 7:51 AM) Reply
Well done, Peter. Lucky girl that Sara!
Paris75008 said... (11/16/09 4:28 AM) Reply
Sara is a lucky girl to have someone like you sew her a lovely vintage dress. It looks stunning already. Dental floss to gather cuffs? I never, never would have thought of that one!
mz.choize said... (11/16/09 0:23 AM) Reply
Wow! I love this dress, it looks great on her. You did a great job with ur alterations too!
velosewer said... (11/16/09 0:02 AM) Reply
You're inspiring. I love the dress and the way you made the design work. You have guts and vision. It's great to see the fabric and pattern work for you, not the other way around.
jilly cooper said... (11/15/09 9:25 PM) Reply
wow, how lucky is Sara to have someone so dedicated to sewing her a new dress. I have some of these vintage patterns so it is nice to see how they look finished (I haven't been able to finish a complete dress of these patterns). Your enthusiasm for sewing is infectious and certainly keeps me motivated to keep trying, thank you:)
darse said... (11/15/09 8:30 PM) Reply
ha! Great photo essay! And the invisible zipper looks fantastic. ;)
Rhonda in Montreal said... (11/15/09 8:20 PM) Reply
Peter, YOU are very courageous and adventuresome in your sewing odessy!! BRAVO!! You'll "get it" and Sara'll have a LBD to beat your own!! ;)

by: Muggiesew