Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8599 (MISSES' VEST)

Reviewed by:lamstu

About lamstustarstarstar
CHINA
Member since: 8/17/04
Posted on:11/21/09 10:45 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
See other patterns in this category: Vests
Sue Parrott said... (1/21/12 12:59 PM) Reply
Thanks for the honest and thorough review! I have a beautiful hand dyed wool that I purchased just for this pattern. I will have to make a muslin first!
a life in stitches said... (7/19/11 6:04 AM) Reply
I almost wish I hadn't read this review, because until now I was so happy with my waistcoat! I made up size 12 with only minor upper body reductions that I nearly always find necessary for Vogue. I like the 'fit', as it is, but I appreciate it isn't close-fitting. However as I wear it over loose-fitting lawn shirts or overshirts, and more often than not open, that suits me fine. If it were closer fitting, the shirt sleeves would be bunching up which would not be comfortable or flattering. I found it an easy pattern to make up, very clear instructions, the only tricky bit I remember was the back vent binding. I think its a great design, sorry you had a struggle with it, but honestly it looks nice now. I am already planning other versions, this design is well suited to adaptation, use of oddments of fabric etc. I may even try a close-fit version if I find something I would wear underneath.
Hilary said... (12/20/10 11:26 AM) Reply
I appreciate your detailed review-I just bought this pattern and will take your advice to make a muslin first! I think your vest is absolutely gorgeous, though it took some time obviously :D Well done!
Fictionfan said... (11/28/09 2:47 PM) Reply
You have a great looking vest! Thanks for the review. I was thinking of getting this pattern, so the fitting info and construction details are nice to have!
Barbara V said... (11/23/09 10:14 PM) Reply
Your vest is beautiful - inside and out! You put much work into it and the results are great I think, and the fit on you looks great too. Nice job!
renren said... (11/23/09 10:39 AM) Reply
Well, first I was going to say it was so beautiful it made me feeling like crying, but then I read the review and all the trouble you had with the ornery little beast before you properly tamed it. Ufffhh, I have this pattern and I LOVE your results, but the process sounds a bit scary. The Hong Kong seam finish at CB is flawless, and I guess I understand you finished the other seams that way, but it looks like only one strip encasing the seam. I guess that's still an H.K. finish. You look fabulous in this wonderful creation! You are really good at matching fabrics to patterns. You know what, maybe I'll just cut this pattern out and use some muslin fabric and just take it one seam at a time. Also, since everyone notes how much extra room there is in MT's patterns, I'm thinking I might have the kind of body she designs for (could that be???). Excellent review, too!
JDpenelope said... (11/22/09 10:21 AM) Reply
All of your hard work to get a snug fit and your meticulous attention to detail have paid off in a beautiful garment. It looks fabulous on you, too.
Rebecca D said... (11/22/09 9:35 AM) Reply
All that work paid off - you have a gorgeous vest.
sew2little said... (11/22/09 1:53 AM) Reply
Beautiful vest--really! I hope you come to like it more than you do now; sometimes when a project doesn't proceed as planned, it takes a while to "like" the result. (I just made a Marcy Tilton jacket that was too big too!)
jannw said... (11/22/09 1:11 AM) Reply
Thanks for the fitting tips and info..While I love the outside of your vest, I was so impressed by your inside detail! Absoluting beautiful..something to aim for in my own sewing

You Can Make This Forget Me Knot Dress