Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 5968 (Women's Dress)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 7 people

Other Projects by Peter in NYC using this Pattern

Vesta Patterns

katie lynne said... (1/16/10 8:06 PM) Reply
I very much enjoy the Cathy sagas! This is a charming rendition of this pattern. I especially liked seeing the sleeve pattern piece--I love the blouson effect it gives. I'd like to try incorporating it on a favorite blouse...hmmmn.
Sandi S said... (1/4/10 5:37 PM) Reply
Awesome dress - love the photo story as well.
FreyaStark said... (12/12/09 5:08 AM) Reply
A lovely dress in really gorgeous colours. I hope you get a lot of wear out of it.
Deb Thompson said... (12/4/09 2:31 PM) Reply
Peter I adore you and your dresses are F.A.B.!!!! But more Cathy please please please!! I love Cathy!!
HLT said... (12/1/09 8:53 PM) Reply
I like your technique with the colors. It's pretty!
Peter in NYC said... (12/1/09 8:48 PM) Reply
For some reason those reds are hard to capture in all their glory. The Cathy shots show the contrast off best, I think. Marec, I SHOULD write a book. But what about? Suggestions welcome!
colorkitten said... (12/1/09 9:53 AM) Reply
It's fantastic! I would love to see it in person, I have the feeling the photos don't do the colors justice.
Ceidhle said... (11/29/09 3:53 PM) Reply
How creative to come up with that color combination. It is terrific.
marec said... (11/28/09 6:47 PM) Reply
Peter, you definitely need to write a book. Lovely dress, and very, very creative.
The Sassy SEWer said... (11/27/09 4:00 PM) Reply
Peter, to answer your question about the hem. Apply lace hem tape, press under hem and blindstitch. GREAT DRESS!
Beek said... (11/26/09 10:07 AM) Reply
Great dress, Peter. For the hem, I would try "Steam-A-Seam". I use that stuff for ultrasuede skirts wear the hem stitching may show.
valerie sews said... (11/26/09 5:53 AM) Reply
Great dress and very artistic use of the three coloured wool crepes. You could hem this by applying some bias binding. I just overstitch it along the edge of the fabric and then hem by hand. This is a good hemming method for difficult springy fabrics. Glad to see Cathy back. I love her adventures.
Sigrid. said... (11/25/09 5:44 PM) Reply
Great way of working with these similar colors. And your picture story is a good way to show off the beautiful dress.
Sew Shy said... (11/25/09 1:12 PM) Reply
Oh Peter, the dress is tres chic and Cathy's story is awesome!
RobinMCPA said... (11/25/09 11:55 AM) Reply
Great dress, and I loved the Cathy saga!
Elona said... (11/25/09 11:46 AM) Reply
I love the unexpected color combinations in this very pretty dress! And I am knocked out by the photos of your construction sequence. These pics would make a wonderful tutorial for beginning sewists.
mesewlot said... (11/25/09 9:59 AM) Reply
I love this dress! As for the he, whenever I've sewn with wool crepe, I would hem using either the hong kong finish or just sege the edge (to keep from unraveling) and apply a hem tape and do a blind stitch or catch stitch to hold in place. This keeps the bulk down and doesn''t make your hem heavy. Great job!
lisa m said... (11/25/09 9:44 AM) Reply
oooh, I'd dance a mad meringue for Jean Luc also. Or make him one. Thanks lots.
Rhoda K said... (11/25/09 9:38 AM) Reply
Please post a photo of Sara when her dress is completed. Great job.
Peter in NYC said... (11/25/09 8:53 AM) Reply
Thanks, all! I did install a hook and eye at the top of the zipper, but it tended to open up. I think the back of the collar really needs two or three of these to keep the collar down (or up if that's how you want it) and the two sides together. Any ideas about the best way to hem wool crepe?
sew obsessed said... (11/25/09 8:43 AM) Reply
Nicely done Peter!
Lynnelle said... (11/25/09 8:38 AM) Reply
I. Heart. Cathy. Peter, I am growing increasingly jealous of your wonderful dresses! Make me one now, damnit! =) As always, very well done. I love the story!
lamstu said... (11/25/09 8:35 AM) Reply
Great dress, love the unexpected use of the three related colors!
fourkid said... (11/25/09 1:34 AM) Reply
Very nicely done. I love your stories. A hook and eye at the top of the zipper might hold the collar down a bit better in the back.
Aixoise said... (11/25/09 0:51 AM) Reply
Great story! I look forward to following future Cathy adventures and to seeing her fab wardrobe.
eword10 said... (11/25/09 0:07 AM) Reply
Cathy sure does look like you. Very striking figure. Love the dress. Great idea about the reds.
pammieh said... (11/24/09 11:36 PM) Reply
Congrats on a great dress!!
Mermie said... (11/24/09 10:48 PM) Reply
I love this dress! Also really jealous of your identical cousin Cathy. She gets all the cool clothes!
Immelu said... (11/24/09 10:20 PM) Reply
OMG, that is a FANTASTIC DRESS!!!!!!!!! I love your use of colors and Cathy sure does get to have alot of fun!!!!!
Pattern Work