Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3039 (Fitted Western-Style Shirt)

Reviewed by:Leslie in Austin

About Leslie in Austinstarstarstarstar
TX USA
Member since: 1/30/03
Posted on:2/21/04 6:43 PM
Last Updated:2/6/05 9:12 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 7 people

Katharine in BXL said... (6/29/06 4:59 PM) Reply
*Scream* I love the back view!
AnneM said... (2/9/05 4:43 PM) Reply
Love it! I had missed your update (thanks for letting me know!). Your new top looks great. And I really like the snaps; what a great touch. Someday I'll get brave enough to use snaps.
Lorna C. Newman said... (2/7/05 1:09 PM) Reply
Tsk, Tsk, Leslie! Beginner no more, I would say ... really nice job onthe piping! Very even and smooth! If I were you I would make a sloper for your bodice pieces and pin it to the wall of your sewing room: then you will have any button shirt aced!
Lisette said... (2/6/05 8:30 PM) Reply
Love your new version. I would have never guessed that it came from a Western style shirt!
BjP said... (2/6/05 5:47 PM) Reply
I agree, MUCH cuter than the pattern pic! It's way, way cool...love it!
PVA said... (5/15/04 11:52 PM) Reply
All I can say is ditto to all above. I'd love to try this for my DGD -- does the 4-H county & state fair western events. I just know she'd love this shirt. Great review, my hat is off to you!
Deepika said... (3/20/04 9:00 AM) Reply
Leslie, both shirts are very nice and they look very well fitting too!
AuntieShel said... (3/20/04 8:08 AM) Reply
Anyone who can make a shirt like this is NOT a beginner!! Absolutely fantastic.
SandraB said... (3/19/04 1:01 PM) Reply
Leslie, this is a fabulous looking shirt, and the fabric looks very luxurious. You are no beginner!!
Debbie Spriggs said... (3/19/04 12:25 PM) Reply
Cute shirt and niece! The fit looks good to me, and the pleased expression on her face is adorable. I love the pink!
Skymom said... (3/19/04 12:21 PM) Reply
Leslie, check out the Snap Source snaps--they have this little tool for setting that snaps that is practically fool-proof, and the snaps come in loads of colors and sizes, including pearl. I love your shirt, and your nieces.
SouthernStitch said... (2/23/04 12:19 PM) Reply
That moleskin looks great - and the pink for your niece will be very fashionable. Now that you've done this, any more button down wovens by KS shouldn't be too bad.
Mollykat said... (2/23/04 7:50 AM) Reply
I agree, good fit is the reason! Hurray for you on keeping at it until you got the fitting challenge licked. I really, really like your top.
Jennifer shaw said... (2/22/04 10:23 PM) Reply
Leslie, your shirt is great! It looks so terrific. I can't believe that you would consider yourself a beginner. Did you use flat felled seams for the non yoke parts? Thanks!
Teri said... (2/22/04 4:35 PM) Reply
Leslie, thanks for the review. I have this pattern and I need to make it for my friend who barrel races. Your shirt looks great!
Linda E. said... (2/22/04 12:41 PM) Reply
Great looking shirt for a Texan
alex said... (2/22/04 11:22 AM) Reply
Great shirt! I agree, time to update your sewing profile! You make beautiful things!
Leslie in Austin said... (2/22/04 11:09 AM) Reply
*Blush*. As a good Texas girl in a western shirt would say, y'all are so swee-eet! The snaps are no-sew Dritz Color Snaps and are put in with a little plastic gizmo. Very simple, unless you are being a space cadet (ask me how I know). A couple of tips: use a hammer/mallet and a sturdy surface to make sure they go in and stay in, pay close attention to which side of the snap goes on which side of the placket, and read the label on the package (navy blue looks remarkably like black in the store). The pattern gives suggestions on placement, but instead I started by putting my first snap at the bust line where shirts usually gap and then spaced them evenly from there.
cindyann said... (2/22/04 8:55 AM) Reply
That's beautiful. Well done as usual. What was your procedure for putting in the snaps? Any tips?
SewingSusan said... (2/22/04 8:29 AM) Reply
Leslie, great shirt. You are really becoming an expert at fitting!
JDpenelope said... (2/22/04 7:27 AM) Reply
Leslie, you're making the real beginners look bad! Terrific shirt.
MaryBeth said... (2/22/04 3:29 AM) Reply
What a pretty Texas lady shirt! Perfect!
Lori V said... (2/21/04 10:23 PM) Reply
love your shirt. The piping really sets off the shirt
Danvillegirl said... (2/21/04 9:25 PM) Reply
Nice looking shirt, I think you are past the beginner stage.
jlg said... (2/21/04 9:13 PM) Reply
Very nice looking shirt. I like your piping. I hadn't realized that you considered yourself a beginner. You've got to change that.
CatherineN said... (2/21/04 8:49 PM) Reply
Unusual style and very attractive fabric and trim. What a relief for you to get the good fit.
els said... (2/21/04 7:36 PM) Reply
Leslie great shirt, you are no beginner anymore.
Leslie in Austin said... (2/21/04 7:06 PM) Reply
Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the thumbnails in my reviews. Click where the thumbnail should be--the full-size photo will come up.
jlg said... (2/21/04 6:59 PM) Reply
Leslie, it sounds great, but I can't see the photo.

THE SKIRTS - A CD Book By Kenneth King