Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1027 (MISSES' DRESS)

Reviewed by:Tailypo

Last Updated:12/2/09 2:34 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 21 people
NicholeMc said... (3/29/10 1:32 PM) Reply
Love the review! Thanks for all the tips and smiles. Nicely done.
Carolyn C said... (1/10/10 11:56 AM) Reply
Tailypo, your description had me laughing. Excellent review, and thanks for the hints about ties, elastic, and edging the sleeves and bodice. As to the goofy things during construction, you must have been channeling me, because I do stuff like that all the time when I'm sewing. Sometimes I'm much better off ignoring the directions and flying by the seat of my pants. Thank you for an entertaining review.
Kellie R. said... (12/7/09 8:58 AM) Reply
You look a million bucks in your great dress! I'm a knit-aphobe and your great results make me want to try out this pattern!
waltzqueen said... (12/3/09 4:58 PM) Reply
Thank you for this terrific, informative and hilarious review!! I didn't even understand the whole pocket business but I think I got the point anyway. I've read so many good reviews that, even though knits and my hips don't get along, I just bought the pattern, and you have confirmed that that was the right decision. Regretably, I don't have a serger or a coverpro or I would gladly try your suggested method!! :)
Tailypo said... (12/3/09 1:12 PM) Reply
Thanks mom!
Tanda said... (12/3/09 10:44 AM) Reply
I love this dress. It looks great on you. I am so impressed that you find time to sew. "High end couture finishes," my sentiments exactly.
becca a said... (12/3/09 9:30 AM) Reply
Great dress! It is so flattering. Thank you for sharing all the mistakes--it takes me forever to sew because I have to redo my silly mistakes so many times. Thanks for a great review.
marec said... (12/2/09 6:02 PM) Reply
I'll start with a compliment on the dress-it's really, really nice. Thank you so much for your honest review. It not only made me laugh but it also made me think. I sometimes believe (mistakenly) that more advanced sewers never make "idiot" mistakes. Not true, I guess!!
librarylady said... (12/2/09 5:50 PM) Reply
Wonderful review... and dress.
obsessed with sewing said... (12/2/09 5:27 PM) Reply
"Idiot Proof" dress, sounds like this pattern belongs on my wish list! Seriously, you did a great job and your "mistakes" are not noticable at all - you turned out a very pretty, flattering dress. Thank you for your suggestions and making me laugh; I always wonder why pattern companies have to make the construction techniques more complicated than necessary.
Leora said... (12/2/09 4:40 PM) Reply
It's Alive!! hehe. Nice dress, fun visual of you at the serger wrangling said dress!
Mermie said... (12/2/09 4:06 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress and hilarious review. Helpful too! Great job.
katlew03 said... (12/2/09 3:40 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress. Looks nice on you. Great pattern.
Aixoise said... (12/2/09 1:27 PM) Reply
The dress looks terrific on you. Love the backstory (or the behind-the-scenes confessional). Good to see you sewing and reviewing again. Your reviews are always a treat (instructive, too).
li'l miss muffett said... (12/2/09 11:37 AM) Reply
ROFL! I want to try the whole 'throw the pattern and fabric at the sewing machine' technique! Sounds good to me.... I love the print and wish I was in the Bay area. I'd totally take some of that fabric off your hands! The dress look great on you as well.
NC Carol said... (12/2/09 9:28 AM) Reply
Great dress and very funny review. Thanks for brightening my morning!
ladylola said... (12/2/09 7:13 AM) Reply
Great review and great dress!
Rebecca D said... (12/2/09 6:44 AM) Reply
I always find it so comforting when someone confesses all their stupid mistakes as it makes me realize I am not alone in the stupid sewing mistake world. Great looking dress, I can't believe I don't have this pattern.
BillieJean said... (12/2/09 5:52 AM) Reply
Helpful and hilarious review. Oh, and by the way, the dress is lovely.

Made By Rae Parsley Pants