Online Sewing Class: Perfectly Fitted Shirt

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5252 (Fleece Vest/Jackets)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

vestapatterns.com

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

Englishstitch said... (2/28/10 9:16 AM) Reply
Fab!! wish I could get my other half to wear something so cute! ;-)
Melody said... (12/20/09 10:18 AM) Reply
Very cute and fun, fleece jackets have a way of forcing you to like them, especially when it's bone chillingly cold.
Kellie R. said... (12/7/09 9:00 AM) Reply
Great job! Great advice about basting the zipper... Your partner's mom will surely love it when you make it for her!
Elke said... (12/5/09 2:07 PM) Reply
Great looking hoodie!
mssewcrazy said... (12/4/09 7:56 AM) Reply
This is nice. What a great idea to make the first run from a thrift shop blanket also. I may have to hunt down this or a similar pattern.
Phoenix461 said... (12/3/09 3:28 PM) Reply
Peter - love it! Keep up the great work!
moushka said... (12/3/09 6:56 AM) Reply
Peter, your jacket is fabulous. You must be a naturally talented sewist. Looking forward to the version for your DMIL. One easy way to slim the pattern is to make a vertical tuck in the middle of the shoulder of the front and back pieces, all the way from shoulder to hem. Louise Cutting shows this alteration in current issue of 'Threads' magazine. Thanks for such a great review and all the wonderful photos.
Annette1 said... (12/3/09 0:52 AM) Reply
Ho, ho, ho! To me, penguins and snowflakes are a step ABOVE unicorns and rainborws -- ha! Great review, and your jacket has turned out really nice! I know your mother-not-in-law will love hers.
Patti B said... (12/3/09 0:37 AM) Reply
Well, I love the penguins! Very cute fleece and a good way to muslin the pattern. We'll be waiting for the Dorcas version.
Sewing Joe said... (12/2/09 9:35 PM) Reply
Another great review!
birdmcfarland said... (12/2/09 7:39 PM) Reply
I would never in a million years have thought to make a fleece jacket, but I might have to now. This is adorable!! Love it!
thirteenstitches said... (12/2/09 7:38 PM) Reply
P.S. Here in Pittsburgh you'd be a big "hit" with your blue penguins : )
thirteenstitches said... (12/2/09 7:36 PM) Reply
Another nice job Peter! I have to ask if you have a Joann's fabric store near you? If you do and get on the mailing list you will get coupons about every 3 weeks for 40% off the regular price of one item and they often run sales on patterns for $1.00 or $1.99. Even less than you are paying on line. Thanks for the review.
marec said... (12/2/09 6:17 PM) Reply
This is a great jacket, even with those darn penguins ;-) Michael's mom will be so happy to receive a hand sewn gift from you! You're a good guy!!
Peter in NYC said... (12/2/09 5:20 PM) Reply
Thanks, all! I guess I usually think of fleece as a relatively snug layer worn under a jacket or parka, the way hikers do. But I guess you can wear it as a jacket too. So many options!
FreyaStark said... (12/2/09 4:09 PM) Reply
I think it's turned out well, and the fit looks right to me. A casual outer garment shouldn't be a tight fit.
nancy2001 said... (12/2/09 2:36 PM) Reply
Your fleece hoodie turned out very well. And the penguins are adorable.
Dee2 said... (12/2/09 1:36 PM) Reply
Great jacket! Love the penguins. I will have to take a look @this pattern now that I have read your review.
mrsbewley said... (12/2/09 11:49 AM) Reply
Peter, the jacket looks great! Watch out for fleece - it can be addicting :). FWIW, I don't think it looks too big on you - your MNIL might want extra room if she's going to wear it over a sweater.
Sondra Leigh said... (12/2/09 11:48 AM) Reply
This is absolutely *darling*!! Kathy will be wanting one next!
kkkkaty said... (12/2/09 11:35 AM) Reply
that is so cute (you and the jacket both)! I have this pattern; I wonder if my husband would wear this type of fabric? Probably not.... but I can try
RLL said... (12/2/09 11:25 AM) Reply
Too cute....so is your jacket! Cheerful black thread? You are a funny one. I made this in black sweatshirt fabric for DD's boyfriend and it did turn out great, but huge. Good thing he likes big baggy clothes. And I had to cut a LOT off the sleeve. Don't remember how much. Your version is cute tho!
pterion said... (12/2/09 11:09 AM) Reply
Great looking hoodie, Peter! I like the penguins - very whimsical. Fleece is fun to sew (but not to clean up after) and yes, sewing a zipper on it can be challenging - you'll notice that even RTW fleece jackets have some buckling around the zippers. Great job!
colorkitten said... (12/2/09 10:52 AM) Reply
I love it! I never look at fleece patterns, but I might have to get this one -- I have so few decent men's patterns! Thanks for the tips on the zipper, too -- I've sewn fleece for the girl, but never with a zipper.

Understanding Wool Fabrics