Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 10-2006-129 (Man's wool coat)

Reviewed by:crisford

About crisfordstarstar
OR USA
Member since: 10/5/06
Posted on:12/20/09 1:02 AM

Margie Ward said... (4/29/13 0:13 AM) Reply
I'm just about to embark on sewing a Pea Coat for my son and this review is most helpful, thank you
meleliza said... (1/8/13 10:47 PM) Reply
I LOVE this coat! I am thinking of making a pea coat for my son and found your tips really helpful. Of course, he's only 7, but still, no reason for it not to be nice. I hope he grows up as handsome and grateful as your boy!
fereshteh said... (2/11/10 8:01 AM) Reply
yass like
AMarie said... (1/29/10 11:02 AM) Reply
What a beautiful coat! Looks like he will cherish this coat for years!!
wreninrome said... (1/26/10 5:08 PM) Reply
congrats on the win! It's an amazing coat (and I love your yard)
704betsy said... (1/22/10 10:34 AM) Reply
What an expert job! And the model is quite handsome...expert job as well :)
FloraNature said... (1/21/10 6:36 PM) Reply
dup.
FloraNature said... (1/21/10 6:09 PM) Reply
Great review, and a very good-looking coat (and son) !
Bonnie123 said... (1/21/10 3:14 PM) Reply
You did a fantastic job (all the way around). This coat looks like it came from an upscale department store and to say that you paid $5/yd for the fabric, what a steal! Your son wears the coat very well. Job well done! :-)
Pyrose said... (1/19/10 10:15 AM) Reply
I saw this review photo in the newsletter and was very impressed. You did an amazing job on this and he looks great in it!
Sandra Mil said... (1/18/10 6:24 PM) Reply
Coat? What coat? First I saw a handsome young man and then I saw the amazing coat. Great fit!
Toni Vienna said... (1/9/10 9:01 AM) Reply
This got my vote. Absolutely gorgeous coat and it suits your handsome boy!
seamssewfabulous said... (1/7/10 11:15 PM) Reply
You got my vote, that's fabulous!
AnneM said... (1/7/10 9:08 PM) Reply
Fantastic coat, it looks great on your son. Nice details. And what a great deal on your fabric.
Sewnsewmom said... (1/7/10 7:49 PM) Reply
What a really nice coat!
Sew4Fun said... (1/7/10 7:18 PM) Reply
Fabulous coat! You did such a great job on the construction.
Leslie in Austin said... (1/7/10 5:31 PM) Reply
Late to the game, but have to pipe up to that I absolutely love this gorgeous, impeccably crafted coat. It looks so stylish on your very handsome son. Thanks for all the details, references and inspiration!
fourkid said... (1/2/10 8:54 AM) Reply
Nice coat - and thank you for the useful tips.
FL Girl said... (12/31/09 11:09 PM) Reply
This jacket is too sweet! You did a fantastic job tackling that Burda pattern and it makes me want to get this pattern and make one for my hubby!
purplebouquet said... (12/31/09 5:06 PM) Reply
Awesome. And you cranked this out in just a few days???? I am full of admiration. Great design, great workmanship. Well done.
Elona said... (12/26/09 3:08 AM) Reply
What a fine looking jacket on a fine looking young man. Really beautiful work, Mom.
Berninanut said... (12/25/09 11:03 PM) Reply
I have trouble following the Burda pattern's and felt like this write up gave me the permission to just do it..."MY WAY!" Sewing with patterns are a guide and not always the only way....so if you have some basic skills you should be able to put a garment together with just the pattern, some people don't even need patterns, just pictures to inspire them! It did motivate me to take out my old Burda patterns and view them with a different 'eye'! Thanks! A very sharp looking, long lasting stylish coat!
Heatherrique said... (12/22/09 3:06 PM) Reply
Sleek and chic looking coat on your adorable son! His smile shows that all of your efforts are worth it!
BettyMike said... (12/22/09 12:54 PM) Reply
Are you kidding me? I am amazed at this coat! Thank you for reviewing this pattern and showing us this wonderful coat!
Diane333 said... (12/21/09 2:46 PM) Reply
Great looking coat/handsome son.
Hilary said... (12/21/09 10:18 AM) Reply
Incredible! Great looking coat, and your son looks very handsome in it! I agree, removing the belt and lowering the pockets is a huge improvement.
Athene said... (12/21/09 1:13 AM) Reply
Your son looks very handsome in his new coat. Your skill really shows - I appreciate all the wonderful photos.
crisford said... (12/20/09 11:59 PM) Reply
Oh, my goodness, thank you all for the very kind compliments! I love working with wool and a bit of steam ironing--it always seems to get great results.
Karen6790 said... (12/20/09 9:06 PM) Reply
My DBF's jacket is almost done and I'm not letting him see this review or I know what my next sewing project will be. Beautiful work.
digs57 said... (12/20/09 8:49 PM) Reply
Gorgeous pea coat. I feel fortunate my husband doesn't peruse PR, else he'd be asking for this one!
susiestitcher said... (12/20/09 6:54 PM) Reply
Your coat is beautiful. My son has been wanting me to sew something for him and you are giving me inspiration. Great job and great-looking son!
Twinset said... (12/20/09 2:31 PM) Reply
Fantastic and beautiful! Your son looks great in his coat. Thanks for the detailed review.
sewsewboy said... (12/20/09 1:58 PM) Reply
GREAT coat. You better enter the menswear contest. You would win hands down. Your skills are AMAZING!!!
colorkitten said... (12/20/09 12:24 PM) Reply
that is amazing! and one of the few modern men's patterns I've seen I actually like. I'm noting the issue to look for (eventually). thanks for the great review!
Diane E said... (12/20/09 12:12 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat for your handsome son. I really appreciated all the details in your review. I am in awe of your focus.
moushka said... (12/20/09 11:40 AM) Reply
Fabulous coat, chic and timeless styling. You did a great job and I'm sure you son will wear it proudly for many years. Your review is terrific; thank you for the many details and photos.
Lori V said... (12/20/09 11:11 AM) Reply
What a great looking, stylish coat. Your are a wonderful mom to tackle such a project. I bet your son is very appreciative.
ALY said... (12/20/09 10:10 AM) Reply
Fantastic coat! A great looking classic with european styling. I am sure your son will wear this for years. Nice looking model!
Sharon1952 said... (12/20/09 9:52 AM) Reply
What a lucky son! Great job on the fitting and fabric choice.
Kay Y said... (12/20/09 9:48 AM) Reply
Lovely coat - I noticed right away that you had lowered the pockets. Good call. I wish I had this issue as my son would love a coat like this.
Nancy K said... (12/20/09 9:23 AM) Reply
A wonderful coat that looks fabulous on your son. Very professional.
Peter in NYC said... (12/20/09 8:41 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat and an excellent review. Great job!
becca a said... (12/20/09 8:24 AM) Reply
What a great pea coat. It looks fantastic on, and you added some great details. Thank you for the detailed explanations and recommended references.
Sic said... (12/20/09 8:22 AM) Reply
Awesome! Very cool.
BlossomKyle said... (12/20/09 8:13 AM) Reply
AMAZING! Looks like RTW. Great job Mom!!!
Kristine Kay said... (12/20/09 8:11 AM) Reply
Wow, what a lucky son! Beautiful coat, and thanks for including all you tricks and use of King's book. He's an amazing instructor!
voet said... (12/20/09 7:09 AM) Reply
Thank you for an excellent review. The coat turned out beautifully. I also appreciate your mention of the references you used. I have Cabrera's book, but I am not familiar with Kenneth King's "Cool Couture." I will now have to get it.
bluenines said... (12/20/09 6:31 AM) Reply
wow you made this in a week ! great job, handsome boy and handsome coat
donna mel said... (12/20/09 5:55 AM) Reply
great job! that is a handsome coat.
BillieJean said... (12/20/09 5:39 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat! Good looking kid.
Winifred said... (12/20/09 5:26 AM) Reply
This is a wonderfully professional coat - he must be so pleased with it. What a good-looking young man !
eugenia123 said... (12/20/09 4:50 AM) Reply
That's an amazing coat and it looks so beautifully made. Your son looks very handsome in it.
freegirl said... (12/20/09 4:40 AM) Reply
That is a stunning coat and I'm really interested to hear about your modifications; it's so great to learn from other people. Your son must be so pleased with it.
petro said... (12/20/09 4:10 AM) Reply
Great looking coat, very stylish.
o3b said... (12/20/09 3:56 AM) Reply
What a fabulous coat! You are a brave, brave woman to make this with a one week timeline. The coat looks very stylish on him.

by: FreyaStark