Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> v2971 (Koos van den Akker skirt)

Reviewed by:sarahinlafayette

About sarahinlafayettestar
Member since: 7/17/08
Posted on:12/26/09 1:24 PM
Last Updated:12/26/09 1:31 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 18 people

meandmyrabbit said... (4/17/12 11:43 PM) Reply
great review. i am working on the skirt. i need help. i was wondering if you could tell me how to stich the pockets and piece 12 o the skirt. i am almost done but i am stuckand cant go any further without ur help
CostumeDeeva said... (6/14/11 3:57 PM) Reply
WOW - You're review has encouraged me to attempt this one. I, too, am in the absolute LOVE IT camp!! Thanks for a wonderful review.
benick said... (4/13/11 11:26 AM) Reply
nice review! I like how you used the same material for the applique...not a big fan of the technicolor stuff on my person as well. I made this using army green died muslin as a fit sample before I cut into my precious bengali cotton I bought in Bangladesh. I omited the applique period. This skirt has nice lines! Have'nt made the shirt yet, though I did adjust the pattern already cause that pattern looks like a wack fit! about to make it again in black vintage. wish me luck! cheers!
karen n said... (12/16/10 5:03 AM) Reply
I just bought a whole bunch of patterns that I've been researching for some time and had space to add 1 more for the same shipping price. After seeing your skirt, I'm most excited about this pattern above all the others! I can't wait to try it. I plan to wear it everywhere. I've stopped saving my cool stuff for occasions. Every day is an occasion!
ConnieBJ said... (6/23/10 2:32 PM) Reply
Love yours! I saw it on someone last week and inspired to make one. Do you think G and T will be an okay replacement for scotch?
Leslie Bonner said... (12/30/09 7:36 PM) Reply
Sign me up for the LOVE IT camp! I really did not consider the skirt for myself because of the volumne but, after seeing yours, I might have to try it. IMHO I would not do velvet but silk dupioni a resounding yes.
Jane S said... (12/30/09 8:33 AM) Reply
Wow, this is an amazing skirt and I love it in the fabric you chose. You made the transition from costume to cool, hip look. Bravo!
Ann Smith said... (12/28/09 1:22 AM) Reply
You have inspired many of us with your interpretation of this pattern. I hope I can find the right fabric like you did. Great job.
ALY said... (12/27/09 4:48 PM) Reply
I bought this pattern for the top, not caring much for the multicolored skirt. I really like your version made with the striped shirting. Still an "art to wear" look, but in a more subdued, sophisticated, interesting way.
lorenakitty said... (12/27/09 3:03 PM) Reply
I love the skirt and I really like where you took the look with the tone on tone color way.
DorothyK said... (12/27/09 10:56 AM) Reply
Amazing. You did a wonderful job with the stripes. Your review will be very helpful when I ever get up the nerve to make this skirt. Congratulations on a job well done.
tess said... (12/27/09 5:31 AM) Reply
Wow what an amazing skirt and a really good, enlightening review! I love the way it looks I don't usually go for this designer finding his fabric choices a bit "manic" for me but I really like the way you've done your skirt, wear it with attitude!
sfshaza said... (12/27/09 2:57 AM) Reply
LOVE it!!! This was one of the first patterns I bought when I returned to sewing last August. I have been wanting to make it for some time, but hadn't found the right fabric - I think this pattern has huge potential. I love your striped shirting and it made me realize that I do, after all, have a fabric that will work. Wow, I can't wait to make this up!!! ;)
FreyaStark said... (12/27/09 2:47 AM) Reply
Amazing! Well done. Making it in a plainer fabric is a good idea. It looks less freakish than the pattern photo and more Issey Miyake. I hope you get plenty of wear out of it.
Athene said... (12/26/09 8:28 PM) Reply
An absolutely beautiful sophisticated version of the skirt pattern. Congratulations on your fabulous results. And as you stated this pattern could be a great part of of wedding costume just brings up so many possibilites. Wow - its nice to visualize the possibilities.
Ripple Dandelion said... (12/26/09 5:11 PM) Reply
Thank you for a wonderful review and for showing us this beautiful creation.
Michele Lommasson said... (12/26/09 5:07 PM) Reply
What an incredibly interesting skirt. I like it. I'm very sure I like it best in the mono-chrome you chose to employ. I believe the idea for the velvet skirt is most likely a winner!
lamstu said... (12/26/09 4:59 PM) Reply
Your skirt is so fun - I love it! When the pattern was released, I didn't care for the model garment except that it looked interesting. Your monochrome palette is more wearable and shows off the design lines. So now you've got me scheming about a cool summer skirt with some seam line emphasis/embellishment. I think skirts like this work with cami/tank type, very plain fitted tops. Thanks for your review and sharing your process. And by all means - wear it again!!
Natasha B said... (12/26/09 4:25 PM) Reply
Fabulous! A night at the Opera would be my choice of location or my own birthday party.
oracle said... (12/26/09 4:21 PM) Reply
I've got this pattern, and I love what you did with it. I've got three fabrics picked out but have not been able to find the fourth to make the squiggles with, so haven't started sewing it yet. Your creativity with it makes me feel braver to play and see what I get.
Aixoise said... (12/26/09 2:53 PM) Reply
Elegant review, interesting skirt. Your caveats (social situation - very rude people) are well-taken for something this unusual (avant-garde?). Thank you for your thoughts on a pattern that definitely falls outside my fashion zone.
CSY said... (12/26/09 2:14 PM) Reply
I am in the I LOVE IT camp. I am very inspired by your review! Great skirt!

Understanding Sheer Fabrics